Quantcast

Anybody use Pedros Chain Machine kit or other chain cleaning gadgets?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I was thinking about picking this up:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11196-085_PEDCM2-0-Search--/Pedro's-Chain-Machine-Kit.htm

Normally I use some Pedros bio-degradable degreaser, a stiff brush to scrub the chain and then hose it off when I am done. Seems to work OK but I'm wondering if one of these little gadgets might do a better job cleaning the chain. Anyone have any experience with them?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I use something similar. It seems to work fine, I'm not sure if it does a "better" or more "thorough" job of cleaning the chain, but it isn't as messy as scrubbing by hand and I think it's quicker.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I use it...

Does it do a better job? Probably not. Is it easier/faster? Definitely. Though I do find I waste a lot more degreaser using one of those.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i bought the park..they are close.
try white lightening epic when you are all clean and dry. It is a great product unlike the old WL that washed out in the rain.

One tip....do the chain cleaning over a street drain on the road.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Wait, I'm supposed to clean my chain? :bonk:

Actually, we usually do a thorough cleaning once a season or before a big ride/race (pull it off, bio-degreaser, toothbrush...the whole 9 yards). I generally (day to day) lube, ride, repeat as needed.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I was at the New England Pedro's fest a few years ago and Pedro's had a tent set up where they would degrease and lube people's chains. Conveniently, people could also buy the very same chain cleaner frammus and degreasers/lubes right there in the same place. Thing was, the dude that got stuck there doing the work had no friggin' idea how to work the gadget and it took him forever to do even one bike. There was a long line of people who decided to stand there and wait for their free drivetrain cleaning rather than just lube their chain and ride. It was pretty sad actually.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Get some tupperware and a gas can.

Fill the tupper ware with gasoline, put the chain in and shake it.

Take the chain out, rinse w/ simple green or some other cleaning agent.

Dry.

Put back on bike.

Lube.

Ride.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Get some tupperware and a gas can.

Fill the tupper ware with gasoline, put the chain in and shake it.

Take the chain out, rinse w/ simple green or some other cleaning agent.

Dry.

Put back on bike.

Lube.

Ride.

Get home from ride, put leftover deep dish pizza in gasoline soaked tuperware and heat for 1:45. Dinner is served!
Nice BS, that sounds good...and explains alot.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
We use the Park one at my shop like its going out of style. definantly a usefull tool! Its not necissarily made for day in day out shop use, but for personal use, it'll get the job done fine!