Quantcast

Anybody use wrist braces for DH , permanently?

SCARY

Not long enough
I've broken both scaphoids in my hands.Its a friggen miserable injury and recovery.Id take a broken arm any day.I can't afford t do it again.Ive seen the cti type braces and am wondering if anyone uses them every time they ride ,even after they are recovered.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I shattered and dislocated my wrist a few years ago, worst injury I ever had. Almost lost my arm from it. Once I was able to ride, I used a TLD Wrist brace for a year but focused heavily on my range of motion and was in the gym trying to strengthen it up. The brace allowed me to ride comfortably, and with confidence of a simple crash not snapping it in two again. I no longer use it and im doing fine.
Braces are kinda of ment as a temporary aid to get you through, not a lifetime piece of kit. I have a friend who rides frequently, broke his wrist about 3 years ago and still has little range of motion and relys heavily on a wrist brace to ride, the more you rely on one, the longer its gonna take for a full recovery. Thats my 2 cents.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've had a bone compression a few years ago in the wrist area plus a fractured end of the bone (no idea how it's called it's the elbow bone but the part that ends in the wrist). Now I wish I used it for recovery but in the long run/non stop I see no reason. Now I'm 100% fine and it wouldn't help me not compress my bones in any way.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I wear 2 Allsport Dynamics custom OH2 wrist braces (with speed wrap) when I ride now due to a massive wrist injury a few years ago. shattered Scaphoid, loss of range of motion, 18 weeks in a cast etc. Wasn't even enough left to pin/wire.

I still get pains in it sometimes from rough landings, so it was just easier to wear a brace when i ride and not worry about it. I couldn't get used to one, and liked the protection, so I wear the pair.

As for them being temporary... many supercross and outdoors racers are now wearing the exact same brace as a preventative measure, including Justin Barcia and Brian Deegan. In MTB, Gracia, Peat, Atkinson, Lehikoinen and a bunch of others are wearing them.

http://www.allsportdynamics.com/braces.htm

Photo post won't work so here is a link.

http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8058336/p4pb8058336.jpg

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Looks good, I have a fuzed wrist like the guy in the Vital vid. and I've broken my other scafoid also. But, wouldn't you break all your fingers instead if you land on them outstretched?

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
When I broke my scaphoid about 2.5 years ago it was not operated on initially, I got another doctor and the ortho said it was less than half healed and showing no progress after 6 months. I rode on it anyway with a junky 661 brace for a while then broke my radius and ulna right above the previous injury maybe a year and a half ago. I pretty much self rehabed after the second injury luckily have almost no range of motion loss. I have maybe 80 percent of the strength back in it, but I still found the need for a brace on certain impacts and high bunnyhops. I continued using the 661 and adding tape, but this limited control, circulation and comfort a great deal. Very luckily Neko Mullaly gave me an Allsports brace that is a huge step in providing the needed support by limiting to 40deg. of extension. I can't thank him enough for this, without it I wouldn't be able to ride DH. I can now ride mellow XC without it, but i will be sore and more prone to jacking it up and getting sharp pains if I pull too hard on the bars or smash something hard with the front end.

TL;DR if you mangle your wrist you definetely should get one to help recovery and prevent future re-injury.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
One of my best riding buds is a hand surgeon, he rides dh full time with them on and seems to do just fine...

I can find out the brand he is using.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
As for them being temporary... many supercross and outdoors racers are now wearing the exact same brace as a preventative measure, including Justin Barcia and Brian Deegan. In MTB, Gracia, Peat, Atkinson, Lehikoinen and a bunch of others are wearing them.

http://www.allsportdynamics.com/braces.htm

Photo post won't work so here is a link.

http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8058336/p4pb8058336.jpg
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about this for a while. The wrist is one of the biggest things I worry about, besides the obvious head.