Quantcast

anybody using a Yeti AS-R SL for endurance racing?

J

JRB

Uhm - you weigh 130 pounds. A Schwinn Stingray would be durable enough. :think:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've never done any endurance racing, so maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't any "good" bike be fine as long as it was in good working order and had an appropriate wheelset? (assuming you're not 250lbs on a full carbon frame)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
jacksonpt said:
I've never done any endurance racing, so maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't any "good" bike be fine as long as it was in good working order and had an appropriate wheelset? (assuming you're not 250lbs on a full carbon frame)
Usually, yes. For 24H, unless you're fully sponsored and can swap bikes at your own leisure, I'd suggest staying away from ultralight XC stuff. Ideally, you want to build up your bike with light, but durable components, as gram counting isn't as critical in 24 hour as it is in XC. Plus, 24Hour is 20x cooler than XC anyway... :p

Steamboat won't let me race. Damn them to hell.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - you should be too young to worry about your weight. :think:

Hell, I'm 34 and *still* too young to worry about my weight.

-S.S.-
When you gain 15 lbs over a winter and want to remain a competetive racer, you should :p

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jacksonpt said:
(assuming you're not 250lbs on a full carbon frame)
thats kind of the point here, that yeti is CRAZY lite with a carbon rear (4.5lbs with shock) and i've just never seen anybody endurance racing on them. there starting to get popular down here and i'm curious about them.
btw 250lbs is almost exactly twice what i weigh.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Toninator said:
thats kind of the point here, that yeti is CRAZY lite with a carbon rear (4.5lbs with shock) and i've just never seen anybody endurance racing on them. there starting to get popular down here and i'm curious about them.
btw 250lbs is almost exactly twice what i weigh.
At your weight, I wouldn't be THAT concerned about it.

If it was me, I'd probably look at burlier options, but thats cause I outweigh you by 30something pounds. People here race on carbon rear end Sugars just fine. I think the Yeti would be fine for you.

J

JRB

Tony - think about the rocks kicking up. I have some dents in the Jamis, and I would assume that would be fatal for carbon.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just saw a picture of it. Carbon chainstays? You'd think they'd go with the seatstays...I dunno mang. It's up to you. I wouldn't get it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
blue said:
At your weight, I wouldn't be THAT concerned about it.

If it was me, I'd probably look at burlier options, but thats cause I outweigh you by 30something pounds. People here race on carbon rear end Sugars just fine. I think the Yeti would be fine for you.
i'm actually leaning more towards the racer X. my fsr has been good to me but i just not happy with it anymore and the new ones are all long travel and not really interested in those besides i just got a hot new sexy fox rlt80 and need an 80mm frame to go with it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
blue said:
Just saw a picture of it. Carbon chainstays? You'd think they'd go with the seatstays...I dunno mang. It's up to you. I wouldn't get it.
carbon stays seem more like a superduper XC racer boi thing. they do have an all alum frame but then it's weight is just about other frames in that class.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The problem with carbon is not strength, it is impact resitance. One crash where the bike comes down on a rock just right and the carbon stay will be history. If you don't plan on crashing a lot, I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I wouldn't want a carbon MTB.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Toninator said:
i'm actually leaning more towards the racer X. my fsr has been good to me but i just not happy with it anymore and the new ones are all long travel and not really interested in those besides i just got a hot new sexy fox rlt80 and need an 80mm frame to go with it.
Get it! Racer-X...mmm. :drool:

That would be my prime choice for 24H, next to a Turner Burner or Nitrous.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
Tony - think about the rocks kicking up. I have some dents in the Jamis, and I would assume that would be fatal for carbon.
Hogwash. I had a carbon bike for YEARS and only a drive into the garage would kill it.

And I whipped up a *crapload* of rocks into that frame.

Unless, of course, carbon has gotten *less* durable in the last decade? :think:

-S.S.-

Edit: come to think of it, the rear triangle was Al, so carbon seatstays *might* be a bad idea? :think:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Racer, schmacer........ :rolleyes:

Shouldn't you competitive racers be track skiing in the winter? :think:

-S.S.-
Yes. No track skiing for me though...Trying to race on my budget=doom.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
baboon thats about just right for your height to weight ratio without adding in age and lifestyle. hell im considered over weight at 511 and 186 but its almost all muscle. damn nutrition class im taking makes everyone all insecure

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
dexter said:
baboon thats about just right for your height to weight ratio without adding in age and lifestyle. hell im considered over weight at 511 and 186 but its almost all muscle. damn nutrition class im taking makes everyone all insecure
Be quiet, beached whale.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Toninator said:
dont think i can get the hookup on the nitrous but have been looking at it.
Didn't they make only 200 of those or something? I bet you could get someone to EP one for you.