Quantcast

Anybody using an On One fork on a different frame?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
if so, how do you like it on the frame you are riding?

I'm thinking that some folks may have slapped one on a Rig or a Dambala or something along those lines.

Just wondering how it impacted the handling of your frame for better or for worse (if you have someting to compare it to).

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
I hhave not but given the same A-C the increased offset of the On-One forks will reduce the trail. Reduced trail makes the steering feel "quicker" while reducing the amount of self-centering. The self-centering contributes to straight-line stability.

Basically this is what Fisher has done with the Genesis 2 geometry on their '07 26" bikes. They may use Genesis 2 in the 29ers in '08.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Speaking with Gary at Interbike last Tuesday, he said that Genesis II was going to be a reality for '08. Manitou forks are the suspension fork that will allow this to happen.

Shiggy is correct on the analysis. Another way to achieve a similar handling characteristic is to steepen the head angle with a "standard" 38mm offset, ala Salsa's Mamasita, Intense Spider, and to a lesser degree, the Ellsworth fullies.

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
Manitou forks are the suspension fork that will allow this to happen.

Another good thing-this means another manufacturer spurred on by Gary Fisher! I know we've seen spy shots of the fork labeled Minute (doesn't mean it's a minute though) but this is great news. Maybe the offset will open some minds.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I'm not sure anyone would need an On-One fork on larger Dambala.
A local 29" hero won't use another fork on his XL Rig. It does make the bike feel really good. Much like a tank in some ways with Reba, very "positive" handling with the On-One fork.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Prior to getting the Inbred, my only rigid fork experience was with a Surly fork. Nothing at all wrong with a Surly fork, but they're notoriously stiff. When I first started riding the Inbred, I found myself stopping occasionally to check that my headset wasn't loose. After finally convincing myself it was fine, I began looking for cracks in the fork or frame. Something had to be soaking up the bumps. I had no idea a rigid fork could be as forgiving as the On-One is. I've heard it's pretty stiff compared to some on the market, but I'm very happy with it. As far as how it handles on other bikes, I can't comment. I've only run it on the Inbred. For overall ride quality though, I give it 2 thumbs up.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Sometimes it's a combination of things. For instance, the Raleigh XXIX has a pretty short legged fork that at first glance seems to be a fork that'd hurt you. That's definitely not the case. The bike rides quite smoothly, due to the compliant nature of the frame. I suspect the On One has a bit of that going on, as well. Then again, you mount something on the front like the Bontrager Race Lite Switchblade fork and you can see the fork legs flexing, no doubt about it. There's some forgiveness in those ACC legs!

All this to say that the bike is a system of parts and something like a big fat tire at low pressure or a forgiving frame might make you think it's the fork doing all of that. Then again, maybe it is the fork! Hard to tell sometimes, ya know?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
yup - oftentimes it is a combination of factors working in synch with each other (fork, tire pressure, trail conditions, rider freshness or fatigue etc. etc.).