Quantcast

Anybody want a gmail account?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Just wondering, I have an invite if you want it drop me a PM with your Full name and current e-mail addy.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I guess other than the size you can get almost any name you want right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's got some interesting features too, like full text search of your messages being an integrated feature. There are some customizable message text flags that you can use to categorize and sort messages, but without actually having to segregate them into seperate folders.

Plus, it's blazingly fast. I mean, you've never visited a website this fast in your life, let alone a web-based email site. I'm sure it won't be as fast when it goes public but for the time being.. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
I guess other than the size you can get almost any name you want right now.
How long did it take you to get invites? Are they just part of the service - everyone who has an account eventually gets invites?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Don't need to rely on anyone else for my e-mail. I own my own domains! Also, most of these "free" e-mail services are free cause they plaster everything with ads, and usually (check your eula) anything you send through them becoms property of them.

(Shameless plug) If you need e-mail, a domain, web hosting, or web design go to www.punkduck.com We'll fix you right up. Of course my services are not free. But they are worth it. :)

Ciaran...
Punk Duck Technologies

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I have my own domains too but that doesn't mean Webmail never has it's place.

I love the way Gmail displays replies as threaded messages.

Oh - and the paranoia surrounding Gmail is downright silly. :blah:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Ridemonkey said:
I have my own domains too but that doesn't mean Webmail never has it's place.

I love the way Gmail displays replies as threaded messages.

Oh - and the paranoia surrounding Gmail is downright silly. :blah:
you have a gmail account already? how come some people can register and some can't?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
After reading some of this paranoia surrounding gmail...

I actually can't believe the crap that people write and believe. It's as bad as safetrails.net. Do people actually believe that if the FBI goes after Hotmail with a subpeona, they won't roll over and play dead, same as Gmail? And what the hell do these "relavent ads" have to do with anything? So what, some computer takes an inventory of the words in your email and returns what it determines to be similar ads. Who cares? Hotmail could be taking a log of all the email words as well.

Fact is, you don't know WHAT happens behind the scenes. You don't know if Hotmail messages sit on a server somewhere for years after you delete them. You don't know if there's a guy browsing your Hotmail account right this second. There is no reason, whatsoever, to believe that Gmail is any less safe or private than any other web based email site. :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian said:
you have a gmail account already? how come some people can register and some can't?
Some people were part of an original beta testing group. Everyone else has to be invited to join - whether it's by a current Gmail user with an invite, or from Gmail itself which apparently has targeted some online blogger services for potential beta testers.