Quantcast

Anyone a lawyer?

L

luelling

So here is the deal, I have a degree in software engineering and I've been in industry a year.....but I've been wanting to continue my education (some personal reasons, other money motivated). My question to all the monkeys is has anyone gone to law school? I've looked over the LSAT and done a bit of studying for it. My other question is, has anyone gone to college while working full time? I only was working around 20 hrs a week, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
You want a law degree? You're going to have to find someone to support you while you're in college if you want to do it in four years. You'll need the time for a law degree. Either that or look forward to no love life or night life for about seven years or more as when you aren't working, you'll be studying your butt off. But it's VERY interesting reading material. It's good reading and it draws you in like a good "Who Done It." It makes you REALLY think. Get your parents to support you while you go. They'll get it back. Don't waste time, go in, get it done in four years. People lose their motivation. A buddy of mine stopped three credits shy of a pharmaceutical degree.

SE's get good money, why be a lawyer? Unless you're greedy. Then you'd be perfect for the job.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Law school is 3 years if you do it full time, 4 years if you do it while working. I just finished business school (MBA) in 3 years while working full time. It's tough, but not impossible. Suck it up, and you can do it - you'll be glad you did.

And studying for the LSAT (or GMAT) is something you need to take seriously. Spend the money to take a class - you need to know how to specifically study for the type of questions they ask on the test.

L

luelling

thanks for the info. I have the benefit of location for schools, which is cool (I moved to take this job and there is a good MBA/Law school about five blocks away). I think I'm going to do it. My old lady wants to go back and get her PHD in pharmacutical and I want to get my law degree. We are trying to plan things out and it will be each of us going one at a time. If you score killer on the LSAT does that open you up to more scolarships/financial aid? My plan was to try and get a high score and see what kind of help I could get.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
A friend just finished at Seattle U. His wife was supporting them though and even though she was pulling down ~$120K/year, he still has loans. Did it in 4 years though and it taking over his dad's practice so he kinda had to do it.
They also adopted two kids during that time and he was the stay-at-home dad.
They made it but we never saw them and they had to sell the wakeboard boat.
4 years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things though.
Good luck.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I am in the same situation as you, only I am a civil engineer. Here's my take on things so far:

As someone mentioned above, definitely take studying for the LSAT seriously. I took the LSAT in February without studying too much, and did alright (80th percentile). Now, I am following a strict study regimen and feel that I will be much more prepared for the LSAT in September. Your LSAT score will definitely affect your chances of receiving scholarships and, generally speaking, it seems to be the most important part of your application.

Based on my research, the classes are generally a waste of time if you are already scoring relatively high on the LSAT. For example, a class might help you improve from a 145 to a 155 on the LSAT, but if you are scoring in the 160 range initially, a class may be useless. I have had several friends take classes with disappointing results.

For a good study regimen, check out "The Perfect LSAT Study Plan" by Vera Valdivia. A lot of pertinent info (along woth plenty of crap) can be found at www.lawschooldiscussion.org.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
A high score on the LSAT (or GMAT for MBA) will definitely affect what school you will get into. If you want to go to a good school, you need a high score. I don't know about scholarship offers. (I doubt it helps, though.) Plus, if you're working full time, what do you need scholarships for? (the school's website/financial aid office will be able to answer this for you.)

L

luelling

rooftest said:
A high score on the LSAT (or GMAT for MBA) will definitely affect what school you will get into. If you want to go to a good school, you need a high score. I don't know about scholarship offers. (I doubt it helps, though.) Plus, if you're working full time, what do you need scholarships for? (the school's website/financial aid office will be able to answer this for you.)
LOL.....school is so much money that despite working full time I need the extra help!! :) My work isn't going to pay to watch one of their software engineers walk and take a higher paying law job. There is no end benefit to them, so I have to shell out all the cash on my own, no employer reimbustments.

L

luelling

sam_little said:
Not to mention going back to school will solve that problem you mentioned having with meeting people in the area.
Good point....what better way to meet people? We did start taking dancing classes though and i think thats going to help some as well (everyone can laugh now :)). Too bad i don't have rich parents, law school could be like college was....lots of partying. kind of a drunken haze

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
The only successful story on here about a person going to lawschool is about someone who had a job lined up for them before they started. If you do not have that option going into lawschool, you should not attend lawschool.

Don't be fooled by the misperseption that you will earn more money as an attorney or law graduate. Stick with what you're good at and bust you arse at that. Don't question me, you'll regret it. If you're already an engineer and have a job, stick with it and bust your arse.

P.S. working full time during LawSchool is not an option unless you want your grades to suffer or want to take 5 years to complete the degree.

L

luelling

maniak10 said:
The only successful story on here about a person going to lawschool is about someone who had a job lined up for them before they started. If you do not have that option going into lawschool, you should not attend lawschool.

Don't be fooled by the misperseption that you will earn more money as an attorney or law graduate. Stick with what you're good at and bust you arse at that. Don't question me, you'll regret it. If you're already an engineer and have a job, stick with it and bust your arse.

P.S. working full time during LawSchool is not an option unless you want your grades to suffer or want to take 5 years to complete the degree.
My sister has a slightly different degree (mechanical vs software) and she has looked extensively into it. The big difference about going into law from an engineering degree is it sets you up to be a patent attorney...and there is a large shortage of those now. I know some powerful attorneys that graduated from harvard and they have said pretty bluntly that a ton of cases now deal with computer tech and patent violations.

I won't take your advice becuase anyone that tells me to buckle down and spend 30 years in a cube can piss off. I'll take the risk assocaited with the op to better myself.....another reason i want to go to law school is that Law is a win lose situation and I thrive in highly competitive situations. I'm not content to work a job that is semi competitive where I never see any real end result from my work.

JDJD

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
well well well..everyone that i went to law school with pretty much said the same thing your saying.."im in law school because i am such a competitive person." well all those competitive persons are now on the unemployment line my friend with a nice 100k+ debt to go with it..you might think your going to have a good job after you graduate because your going to work hard and graduate at the top of your class, but let me tell you..thats not going to be the case..Your going to work your ass off and pull C's B's and and A here and there...and even if you graduate at the top of the class, you might still not get a job...and if you think your mechanical/science degree is going to put you ahead of the line..think again..theres going to be people in law school that already took the patent bar, if you havent taken before you enter law school, your already behind...not only that, your going to be in "competition" with jokesters with PhD's with 10+ years experience under their belt...But i guess if your really a competitive person, then you should be alright.... and after all that nice brutal humiliating experience, you still have to pass the pop quiz after you graduate from law school....luck.............on the plus side, law school students do throw some major keggers all at the school expense...thats a definite plus

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
maniak10 said:
look, just read this article and take it to heart. This pretty much sums up lawschool for 97% of those who attend. Seeing as you're asking for advice about lawschool on ridemonkey, i'm pretty sure you would fall into this 97% of people who attend lawschool and fail miserably.

http://www.calicocat.com/2004/08/law-school-big-lie.html

cheers
Interesting article but don't believe everything you read on the internet. I mean really, only an idiot would. Look further into it. Don't let some fool try to steer you the other way. If that is what you want to pursue, go for it. I mean really, you're going to believe something on a BLOG named The Calico Cat? Wall Street Journal or United Press maybe, but The Calico Cat? GEESH! What a moron.

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
I have been practicing law for over ten years. Yes, law school can be difficult and you will have debt. However, all of my friends I graduated with are successful. Two of my secretaries have attended law school over the last six years as well, one at a top tier school one at an unaccredited school, both are financially successful. I am sure there are plenty of unfortunate stories out there, and there are definitely bad lawyers out there as well. I would not, however, discourage you from getting the education even if you do not end up practicing law.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
An engineer dies and goes up to the Pearly Gates where he is greeted by St. Peter. St Peter asks his name and checks the list.

"Sorry, your name's not on the list, you can't come in" says St. Pete.

With a whoosh the engineer finds himself in Hell. It's not good, it's dark, the heat is unbearable with fires raging all around and the air is almost unbreathable. People are being whipped by huge red demons and forced to break rocks with their bare hands and everyone is emaciated.

After a few days of this the engineer has had enough and begins to think. He takes measures to control the fires and to harness the energy. Within a few months he has got to the point where the fires are under control, electricity is being generated, the air is being cooled and purified, there is running water, conveyer belts and mechanized tools. The whole place is running like clockwork and the huge demons spend their time chilling by the pool, drinking the local micro-brew and munching their way through the now abundant food.

Eventually Satan makes one of his occasional trips; he tends to avoid the place because, well, it's hell. But this time he is astonished to see how much nicer the place is and he wants to know why. When he finds out he is straight on the phone to God (once he's made aware of the recent leap in communication).

"God, my old mucker!" says Satan, "I just rang to thank you."

"For what?" asks God, suspiciously, wondering where in Heaven extension 666 was.

"Well, for the engineer." replies Satan. "We've not had one before and he's made a helluva difference to this place. It's just like paradise down here these days, quite idyllic."

"Engineer?" thunders God. "Engineer? You're not supposed to have any engineers, send him back immediately."

"Send him back?" says Satan. "You've got to be kidding, no way in hell am I sending him back. You sent him here, I'm keeping him!"

"Send him back or I will sue you for him." threatens God.

"Oh, yeah, right." replies Satan. "And where are you gonna find a lawyer...."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
maniak10 said:
look, just read this article and take it to heart. This pretty much sums up lawschool for 97% of those who attend. Seeing as you're asking for advice about lawschool on ridemonkey, i'm pretty sure you would fall into this 97% of people who attend lawschool and fail miserably.

http://www.calicocat.com/2004/08/law-school-big-lie.html

cheers
That's cute.

Take an over-the-top blog written by a bitter, cynical, failed ex-law student who is watching his career pass him by, and pass it off as fact for a completely made-up statistic of "97%".

Sorry, try again. Next time, don't make the "article" you post so completely out there and it'll be more believable :rolleyes:

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
You just can't put much stock into some hater noob's advice.

As far as "top of your class," if you want to go work for a "big firm," you need to be there, and getting too many B's (or any C's) won't get you there.

Also - looks at your school's "bar pass rate." - what % of graduates pass the bar the first time they take it? This will point to how good the school prepares its students. Although 70% of students pass the CA bar the first time (and 50% total, including multiple takers), I hear you need to be a complete idiot to fail it.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I graduate in March, finishing my undergraduate degree. I am working 35 hours a week as a contract design engineer. My B.S. will be in Paralegal studies, after which, a course for the LSATS, then law school.

Will I have a job? You bet your sweet as I will. the key is simply application. great grades are all well and fine, and will certainly help you once you graduate, but if there is no common sense in the application of the theories of law, well, give it up.

Essentially my B.S. is in pre law, as, through education, I far exceed the average requirements of a paralegal. This is true of most paralegals that graduate with a Bachelors degree.

The main point is this, if you have the drive and will to continue on to law school, and that same will and drive helps you to succeed, then the will and drive will also enable you to become successful. I'm 40, and will be a lawyer by the time I'm 45. I can't wait!

The main key is focus and determination. I have been in school now for 2 years. I have had no breaks except for maybe two weeks at Christmas. However, with working full time and full time school, I have a 3.82 GPA, and am on the national honor Society, and was president of the local honor society. It can be done.

Good luck.