Quantcast

Anyone an AirBNB landlord?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree with aspects of this, but I don't love that it totally precludes both long term rentals, and the ability for an individual to have one permanent rental home through AirBnb.

Rental homes are already a thing, AirBnb or not. AirBnb commoditized the process and eased/automated the booking. The problem isn't that Steve from down the street bought a rental home so that he could hope to retire some day, in my opinion. The big problem is when an investment-backed company starts snapping up swaths of homes, and they're so price-insensitive that it murders the local housing markets.

I agree that something has to be done. Even as someone who is currently making heavy use of AirBnbs (and so is directly benefiting from people abusing the market in this way), it's not sustainable and it's horrible for people looking to buy a home.

I've always thought that you just allow people to own two homes (since this is not that uncommon and renting the currently-unoccupied house is the only way most people make it work to have a vacation home or a seasonal place), not worry too much about that, and tax the fuck out of the profits from the 3rd+. Make sure that profits from those additional houses are tiny, making these real estate empires unappetizing.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
AirBnb commoditized the process and eased/automated the booking. The problem isn't that Steve from down the street bought a rental home so that he could hope to retire some day, in my opinion. The big problem is when an investment-backed company starts snapping up swaths of homes, and they're so price-insensitive that it murders the local housing markets.
It’s the booking automation that expanded the issue of investment ownership. AirB came along and said here’s your infrastructure template. Without it, investors would have to develop and maintain their own mechanisms for marketing and booking, and most couldn’t achieve such a grand scale.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It’s the booking automation that expanded the issue of investment ownership. AirB came along and said here’s your infrastructure template. Without it, investors would have to develop and maintain their own mechanisms for marketing and booking, and most couldn’t achieve such a grand scale.
Of course. And once it's centralized, it's a lot easier to funnel everyone to one place instead of having to direct everyone to individual sites.

I'm just pointing out that the concept of owning a rental home has been around for decades and it hasn't caused a massive disruption in the market, so having homeowners be able to own one investment property seems like a reasonable thing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I agree with aspects of this, but I don't love that it totally precludes both long term rentals, and the ability for an individual to have one permanent rental home through AirBnb.

Rental homes are already a thing, AirBnb or not. AirBnb commoditized the process and eased/automated the booking. The problem isn't that Steve from down the street bought a rental home so that he could hope to retire some day, in my opinion. The big problem is when an investment-backed company starts snapping up swaths of homes, and they're so price-insensitive that it murders the local housing markets.

I agree that something has to be done. Even as someone who is currently making heavy use of AirBnbs (and so is directly benefiting from people abusing the market in this way), it's not sustainable and it's horrible for people looking to buy a home.

I've always thought that you just allow people to own two homes (since this is not that uncommon and renting the currently-unoccupied house is the only way most people make it work to have a vacation home or a seasonal place), not worry too much about that, and tax the fuck out of the profits from the 3rd+. Make sure that profits from those additional houses are tiny, making these real estate empires unappetizing.

this is in a small unincorporated area who's majority county is trying to acquire land to build $500k shitbox apartments because of a "housing crisis." Basically slave quarters to serve the clientele of these fuckwits.

These are definitely not 'homeowners' using a convenient service to occasionally rent out a second property.

airbnbturnkey.JPG

airbnbnorthtahoerentals.JPG

Like a hundred of these 'superhost' barons. Fairly explicitly in contrast with Air Bnb's stated intent but they don't even hide what they're doing because they know there won't be any repercussions.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seattle limited STR to 3 per owner. But I supposed it would be easy to create 33 LLC's with 3 properties each to skirt the rules.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
None of these shit aggregator "disruptor" companies have turned anything close to a profit.......not uber, not lift, not all the grocery gitter apps...... they're all just propped up by starry-eyed greedy investors

Telsa turned their first profit only when their weirdass figurehead started pumping up bitcoin :rofl:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
None of these shit aggregator "disruptor" companies have turned anything close to a profit.......not uber, not lift, not all the grocery gitter apps...... they're all just propped up by starry-eyed greedy investors

Telsa turned their first profit only when their weirdass figurehead started pumping up bitcoin :rofl:
:stupid:

They love to shout about how the industries they've disrupted were fraught with inefficiencies and that there's a better way, only to prove that their way is wrong too, just a different kind of wrong.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

They love to shout about how the industries they've disrupted were fraught with inefficiencies and that there's a better way, only to prove that their way is wrong too, just a different kind of wrong.
bUt We CrEaTeD aN ApP

kill list.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
this is in a small unincorporated area who's majority county is trying to acquire land to build $500k shitbox apartments because of a "housing crisis." Basically slave quarters to serve the clientele of these fuckwits.

These are definitely not 'homeowners' using a convenient service to occasionally rent out a second property.
Yup, it's insane. And it's impossible to compete with, because someone with $50-100k in monthly rental income (or more) just doesn't care if they're paying 20, 30, 40% over market value for a property. It's just leverage against their current net worth.

Seattle limited STR to 3 per owner. But I supposed it would be easy to create 33 LLC's with 3 properties each to skirt the rules.
I honestly have no idea how you handle that. The company structures that hide all of this bullshit are impossible to really parse. Put in some rules and the lawyers just add another layer of obfuscation to circumvent the new rule.

Guess you just treat all LLCs as non-personal ownership of single family homes, and tax them to death. I won't cry about it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Seriously.

Look how 'big' uber and air bnb have become in just a few years. They magically have money to lobby, sue, run huge disinformation campaigns on labor laws, but not enough to function on their core premise. It's all just investment money getting thrown into creating an environment of market favorability that sets them up as a monopoly. All to maybe, someday be a functional business. They pull a pretty signficiant fee for doing nothing more than providing a website. It's just a better looking craigslist GUI so people have a one-stop search engine, while providing almost nothing beyond that.

All these 'gig workers' can do this shit by themselves without these so-called companies. There was a short period of time in the late 00's when that was actually happening.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seriously.

Look how 'big' uber and air bnb have become in just a few years. They magically have money to lobby, sue, run huge disinformation campaigns on labor laws, but not enough to function on their core premise. It's all just investment money getting thrown into creating an environment of market favorability that sets them up as a monopoly. All to maybe, someday be a functional business. They pull a pretty signficiant fee for doing nothing more than providing a website. It's just a better looking craigslist GUI so people have a one-stop search engine, while providing almost nothing beyond that.

All these 'gig workers' can do this shit by themselves without these so-called companies. There was a short period of time in the late 00's when that was actually happening.
this will eventually converge into turning the majority of the country into one big company town ala WVA coal companies in the late 19th/early 20th century

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
this will eventually converge into turning the majority of the country into one big company town ala WVA coal companies in the late 19th/early 20th century
One company town at a time!

All your savings will be converted to script soon.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One company town a time!

All your savings will be converted to script soon.
my great grandfather was a coal miner and subsistence farmer. his farmhouse is still in my dad's family, in part because nobody can buy it (not that its worth more than the land its on, which isn't much to begin with). it didn't have indoor plumbing until around 1990 i believe.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
we rent out our basement in portland thru AirBnB. own entrance, locked from the rest of the house. 2 bed 1 bath, little kitchen. I feel like we're actually using it for what it's intended.
sure does help with the mortgage, but fucking cleaning that place 2-4 times a week for pisspoor cleaning fee is a PITA. fucking side hustles. The fees airbnb takes is redic. How the fuck are they not profitable.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
run by techbros.
Basically. Spend money you don’t have, repeatedly raise capital, try to push others out of the business, when you finally do, raise fees. All in the hope this leads to profitability, a buy-out or other liquidity event. All the while collecting a fat salary.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Basically. Spend money you don’t have, repeatedly raise capital, try to push others out of the business, when you finally do, raise fees. All in the hope this leads to profitability, a buy-out or other liquidity event. All the while collecting a fat salary.
cash out before things go all hindenberg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Trail riding in Winter Park yesterday and the final trail down in to the town was closed and an arrow pointed you to a logging road. Wife and I descended that and got dumped into a huge construction area for new McMansions up above town.

I'm sure the service workers in the area will be delighted with these new homes...
20210829_123718.jpg
20210829_123414.jpg