Quantcast

Anyone broken a chain like this?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Got about ten cranks into my ride yesterday, chain blows out, slam nose to stem, bust nose, drink blood all night.

Anyone seen a chain **** the bed like this? My mechanic had never seen it go like this.

And on a side note, dropper seat posts are the greatest invention since soap.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You can suck my bloody snot that looks like angry leaches.

It wasn't at the power link, it just kinda bulged out and that was the end of it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Another great post dirt!

If the pin is hair off from the factory it is pretty easy to blow the chain apart.

I'll leave the sucking to PSP

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, sliding off the pin is a usual failure. This is why shimano went to the bulged pins years ago and SRAM did the same with the cross step a few years later. Doesn't make it impossible, but less likely.

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
I broke a few like that
Bad shifting every time
miss shift it once shame on, shame on you
miss shift me, you can't get miss shifted again

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
today is my "answer everything with a song title!"-day, so here you go (beware: this post contains no added informational value!)

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's always a possibility with my wrench.

Changed out to another shimano chain, rode 9 miles on it. Waiting to see how long this lasts.

More that I think about it, I think it was shifting error.

On the return ride I also lost two of the screws, one per side, on my Time cleats. I'm on fire this week.

Jan 15, 2013
I have seen chains break like that quite often. Broke 2 SS chains this year like that. I need to pay more attention to how worn the chain gets and replace timely.

FYI, I would look for another shop.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If the chain breaks your wrench probably put it on wrong, yes there is a right and wrong way to install a shimano chain.
I doubt that is a directional chain and unless it broke at the replacement pin, it wasn't the mechanics fault.

Most likely poor shifting under load.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't think I've ever seen a chain break in any way OTHER than a failure between pin and plate. But usually there is more evidence of both plates twisting.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I don't think I've ever seen a chain break in any way OTHER than a failure between pin and plate. But usually there is more evidence of both plates twisting.

I've seen a few where one of the plates sheared in half.

Does snapping a quicklink count as a pin/plate failure?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So in three days I've spent $65 in repairs just by riding my bike.
Not a huge thing to complain about I suppose, but I am seeing far too much of my bike shop as of late.