Quantcast

Anyone build a RS frankenfork?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i'm thinking about combing a reba race (115mm) with pike lowers. Has anyone done it? they have the same size stanctions and i would think the lower assembly is the same. Just wonder if the lowers are the same length and if it would work.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
pretty sure i have seen it done before but could be wrong or it could have been a revelation/argyle/pike something rather

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
i'm thinking about combing a reba race (115mm) with pike lowers. Has anyone done it? they have the same size stanctions and i would think the lower assembly is the same. Just wonder if the lowers are the same length and if it would work.
deity did it for their current contest bike, but I can't find the link at the moment

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I'm just curious... don't know much about the Reba, but what would the advantage be? Just the 20mm thru on a Reba?
= Lightweight 20mm fork? how much difference is there over pike 454?

sounds like an interesting project nontheless... I'd like to see more.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
my buddy just picked up a reba WC with the carbon crown, but one of the dropouts if broken off. He got it for pretty cheap, so we're going to order some mint argyle lowers and see what we can do to make a sweet fork
oh, hmmm....
I'm not one to be super carbophobic or bring the hate, but man, good luck with that one. Stiff 20mm thru- on an pure xc race carbon crown. :twitch:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
hm.. i look forward to seeing the frankenfork. right now i am holding off on building one but cant wait to see how yours turns out

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I think I saw something on MTBR. Argyle lowers, pike upper, reba internals. Maybe it was reba uppers, pike internals. It did have Uturn down to something like 70mm. It looked frign dope, but damn $$$$$$. My pike 426 is bad ass enough.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
you use reba or duke u turn if you want it down to 70/80. remember reading that somewhere.

got a link to this?
yeah, Duke u-turn assembly transplant = a dialed 63-108mm u-turn travel, sounds like a recipe for shred to me... also sounds a bit more realistic to me than reba/pike/argyle etc, combo's... not that it isn't a great idea, just not something that is easily obtainable.

There was a rider, possibly from the Chicago area (???), that rode a Sinister DNA, and had a rock shox franken fork... it was briefly mentioned in a thread on mtbr urban/dj/park forum. Had argyle lowers and pike uppers, that's all I remember, don't remember the models used.

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
yeah, Duke u-turn assembly transplant = a dialed 63-108mm u-turn travel, sounds like a recipe for shred to me... also sounds a bit more realistic to me than reba/pike/argyle etc, combo's... not that it isn't a great idea, just not something that is easily obtainable.

There was a rider, possibly from the Chicago area (???), that rode a Sinister DNA, and had a rock shox franken fork... it was briefly mentioned in a thread on mtbr urban/dj/park forum. Had argyle lowers and pike uppers, that's all I remember, don't remember the models used.
Keep in mind:

I just recently put a duke extra firm spring in my pike and its pretty soft. I weigh 130 pounds and is fairly soft (w/ some compression). Just a heads up if you were looking to do that.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Keep in mind:

I just recently put a duke extra firm spring in my pike and its pretty soft. I weigh 130 pounds and is fairly soft (w/ some compression). Just a heads up if you were looking to do that.
hey, thanks for the heads up...

Also, doesn't the Duke U-turn have an elastomer bump stop on the end or something? May help with harsh bottom out, but still... not something you want to do frequently I guess.