Quantcast

Anyone built up an M6 yet?

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005
if so.....

I would love to hear about some details, like what sort of headset you used? any problems with the build or parts compatability? any pics? and of course..... how does it ride?

Cheers.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
"the kid" actually works at intense. his bike wasn't stock.. was matti's first frame had some lighter tubing, etc. so don't read too much into it.

rode CK's a bit. (his is a stock frame). felt & looks damn nice! looks like i found my new ride! :D

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Fanatik Bikes up in Bellingham has one built up in works red. It's a super slick looking machine, especially with the Cane Creek shock. I just built up a SS and the quality of the frame is a notch above the M1 I had a few years back. That bike rips too.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
"the kid" actually works at intense. his bike wasn't stock.. was matti's first frame had some lighter tubing, etc. so don't read too much into it.

rode CK's a bit. (his is a stock frame). felt & looks damn nice! looks like i found my new ride! :D
I knew there was something fishy about breaking an M6, still would have liked a shot of it.

And Yes CK's bike kicks serious ass. I really love the blue

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007

Good to know. There's a person around here who rides a prototype Socom that's a 6.6, Uzzi, and Tazer frankenbike. It has some welds around the chainstay where it cracked.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
if so.....

I would love to hear about some details, like what sort of headset you used? any problems with the build or parts compatability? any pics? and of course..... how does it ride?

Cheers.
Yes, I finished building mine up on Friday. I am running e-thirteen reducer cups with cane creek is-2 bearings. This is the same combination I was running on my socom and it works great.
As far as the build goes, no problems at all. Now for the ride…this thing is INSANE!!!! I have about 4 hours of seat time on it since yesterday and I am truly blown away. My socom feels great but the M6 rips corners harder than anything I have ever felt. Both bikes are running the CCDB and a 2008 fox 40 rc2. On a small note the M6 hardly jumps compared to my socom.
As far as the advertised specs go everything is on par except for the BB height is scary low. Typically with every intense I have owned (uzzi vpx and socom) BB height is usually .5” higher than advertised. The final production M6 was supposed to have a 14.125” BB height. This was told to me by an intense representative. Contrary to this, mine comes in at a scant 13.375" with minion 2.5's front/rear and a fox 40.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Wait, you mean this one's straight?! :rimshot:
Not only is everything straight, but the machining it top notch, the cable guides in the right spot and the welds are even and great to look at.

I can't comment about the paint as I have the works finish. I'm loving the industrial look.

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005
Yes, I finished building mine up on Friday. I am running e-thirteen reducer cups with cane creek is-2 bearings. This is the same combination I was running on my socom and it works great.
As far as the build goes, no problems at all. Now for the ride…this thing is INSANE!!!! I have about 4 hours of seat time on it since yesterday and I am truly blown away. My socom feels great but the M6 rips corners harder than anything I have ever felt. Both bikes are running the CCDB and a 2008 fox 40 rc2. On a small note the M6 hardly jumps compared to my socom.
As far as the advertised specs go everything is on par except for the BB height is scary low. Typically with every intense I have owned (uzzi vpx and socom) BB height is usually .5” higher than advertised. The final production M6 was supposed to have a 14.125” BB height. This was told to me by an intense representative. Contrary to this, mine comes in at a scant 13.375" with minion 2.5's front/rear and a fox 40.
Nice, thanks heaps man.

NOT mine!

posted by cm16white in the PNW forum last week

oh... god... yes.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Is that a new Dorado? If so how did that feel?
yes that is the new dorado in the pic... but they (Kovarik, & the rest of the Manitou riders) only had it during that week, as there was a Manitou test camp being held at Fontana. (yes i have not idea why they chose fontana). but they wanted to get the data on the forks after the races, so they took the forks back. CK is back on his Travis, which still felt pretty nice

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
damn, that iiiis way to slack and low for some of us. I guess the only way to counter act it, would be to create one of those reducer cups with a diferent angle or have some cnc machined drop outs created to give more height to the bb and less angle to the fork (contrary of what you would do to the Socom.) I wonder if a Socom with M6 geometry is coming out? that would be insane!

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I just gotta know, what the hell does everybody do for a living? Cuz I'm still wordering how in the heck can you guys afford a $4,500 bike. That's:crazy:

I priced one while looking and I was at $4,000 for an Uzzi.:shocked:

I barely swung $2,350 for my bike in January! Gorgeous bike! I'd love to have one but GEEZE!

Bmt67Stang

Chimp
Aug 30, 2007
I am switching from and an UZZI, and my first ride was nothing less than overwhelming. I was taken back on how low I was to the ground, and how often the cranks kissed the ground (nothing bad happened because I was fearful of getting launched to the moon and didnt pedal hardly at all). My build consists of a boxxer WC, e-13 flat cups on the headset, and a CCDB in the rear (350lb spring). I am 195lbs geared up, and I believe the rear spring was too light and will be switching to the 400lb spring. Overall, the bike rips and feels quite nimble, however I am quite concerned about the BB being so low because my local terrain does not have rock gardens like those of northstar or whistler... For now.... I think some seat time and lots of tuning to get this rig dialed in!!

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
damn, that iiiis way to slack and low for some of us. I guess the only way to counter act it, would be to create one of those reducer cups with a diferent angle or have some cnc machined drop outs created to give more height to the bb and less angle to the fork (contrary of what you would do to the Socom.) I wonder if a Socom with M6 geometry is coming out? that would be insane!
Like mine ? ;) It's my Old yellow with boxxer tuned in Pearl white with Totem.
Yes it's the best Dh bike i have ever riden ! 15kg850 with minion 2.5 tubeless.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
could it be that intense screwd up so much the m6's geo ?
it has 9+ inches of travel with a 13.5 bbh / 64.5 ha static , so what will happen when sagged ?
sunday has 8 inches of travel / 13.9 bbh and it is on the border of being too low.
the v10 has a 14.8 bbh / 67 ha and i didnt hear anyone complain about its geo or cornering ability.
it seems to me like this is a pro only bike ,and thats a real shame !

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Like mine ? ;) It's my Old yellow with boxxer tuned in Pearl white with Totem.
Yes it's the best Dh bike i have ever riden ! 15kg850 with minion 2.5 tubeless.

damn that's one of the sexiest bikes I've seen in a long time! Is that geometry the definite one for the m6? sounds like to much and as stated, "for the pro only". No wonder the speed record was broken on a stock one. I guess people are gonna start running 160 mm cranks now, with 34 or 35 chain rings at most!

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
could it be that intense screwd up so much the m6's geo ?
it has 9+ inches of travel with a 13.5 bbh / 64.5 ha static , so what will happen when sagged ?
sunday has 8 inches of travel / 13.9 bbh and it is on the border of being too low.
the v10 has a 14.8 bbh / 67 ha and i didnt hear anyone complain about its geo or cornering ability.
it seems to me like this is a pro only bike ,and thats a real shame!
I noticed the same thing... I was looking to buy one and thought there's no way Intense would create a bike lower than the Sunday with more travel. ...My two worst crashes ever were from hooking pedals on rocks. For me it's not worth it to ride a bike that low.

On another note my new v10 feels low and the pedal sometimes scrap when going over rocks.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Too low? Whatever.

My trail bike is a hair over 12", and I ride 175 cranks and never hit pedals. I also ran my Sunday with a 7" fork while at Whistler, and it was fine. Yeah, catching pedals does suck, but most of the time when you catch a pedal it could be avoided by using a more active riding style.

Depending on where these M6's break, I might just have to get one. That thing just looks killer. The M1 is still the most aesthetically pleasing DH bike I've ever seen, but the M6 is a close second. Plus, if it's that slack and low, it could be a real weapon. bay bay bay!

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Too low? Whatever.

My trail bike is a hair over 12", and I ride 175 cranks and never hit pedals. I also ran my Sunday with a 7" fork while at Whistler, and it was fine. Yeah, catching pedals does suck, but most of the time when you catch a pedal it could be avoided by using a more active riding style.

Depending on where these M6's break, I might just have to get one. That thing just looks killer. The M1 is still the most aesthetically pleasing DH bike I've ever seen, but the M6 is a close second. Plus, if it's that slack and low, it could be a real weapon. bay bay bay!

Hey man my style is foot down... sometimes two and I aint changing it!:D

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Too low? Whatever.
bay bay bay !
And to those saying trailbikes have higher dynamic BBs and its not fair to compare the M6 to that....it's not fair!

You don't pedal the M6 uphill through rocky, rooty technical sections. From my short time hitting our shop's berm about 100 times on my boss's bike...I know that if I had the means this season, this would be my frame. I have a short travel bike for riding slow technical stuff. The M6 is a race bike and it's only meant to be ridden fast, so just go fast

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Too low? Whatever.
agree with you 100%

i love how low my sunday is, and heve never had issues with it

prior to that i had an orange 223 and then a 224, both with 13.75 bottom brackets with zero issues... and the 223 had 9" of travel

either your riding style suits it or it does not... there are plenty of other bikes to choose from if low is not something you are into

props to intense for making a race bike with the geometry their team rides... a purpose built world cup level race frame

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Too low? Whatever.

People are saying they are too low, not because of cranks length, or hitting your pedals. But because of driving your chainrings into the gound when you bottom out. Think about it, 10in travel bike, 12 bb height, that means, in theory anyways, that when bottomed out you have only 2in clearance to the ground, probably less. I sure dont want to be driving my drivetrain int o the dirt all the time.