Quantcast

Anyone buy a complete + frame, and sell the first frame?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Just pricing out bmx bikes... I got up to 1500 building from parts. The completes out there are pretty dang good deals. Trouble is, I need at least a 21" top tube... I'm liking the look of the black bike at 21.25 a lot.

Anyone have any luck buying a complete + a frame, and then selling the frame from the complete?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
typically in the past if I ever bought a complete bike I would do just about the complete opposite of what you are pondering...
I would upgrade most of the mediocre/poor OE stock components on the bike and replace with better stuff that suited me more, making the frame ride better...
I personally don't think I'd follow your suggested route, just for a frame that fits you, but that's me... seems logical to start with a frame/complete that you like, just might take more shopping.

$1500 on a complete bmx bike is over the roof, that's a whole lot of bike. Look at some used bikes, there are some insane deals to be had if you look hard enough.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I have done what you are suggesting with an MTB, although I was lucky with the component choice of the manufacturer matching my requirement very closely.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
damn bro! 1500 greenbacks? how bout we split it 50/50 cos i need 2 new sets of wheels!. go fyckin nuts if you feel the need to, i'd say take a good amount, build up a sick bike and put the rest away for repairs and parts

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I just started adding components into the cart on danscomp. It's not hard to get to 1500...

S&M black bike
profile cranks/hubs
etc, etc...

But yeah, that jane looks very nice.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I would just build up from the frame up. By the time you buy even a nice complete and a separate frame you will still want to upgrade a lot of the parts.

I would just try to conserve on your build list a little bit, maybe rather than profile hubs get Odyssey or Shadow, and see where else you can go not uber fancy but still damn fancy. There are a lot of little things that you can save slightly on and not loose anything. This is if you actually have a problem with the big price, if not, goin with the best is always fun.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
my local LBS offered to get me a Fit complete, and then replace the stock frame with an S3... possibly you could find a shop willing to do that for you.

But the Jane is maybe the way to go. I think there are some other nice-ish completes with 21" out there too.