Anyone buy a complete + frame, and sell the first frame?

Discussion in 'BMX & Dirt Jumping' started by SirChomps-a-Lot, Jan 6, 2008.

1. SirChomps-a-Lot

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 7
    Just pricing out bmx bikes... I got up to 1500 building from parts. The completes out there are pretty dang good deals. Trouble is, I need at least a 21" top tube... I'm liking the look of the black bike at 21.25 a lot.

Anyone have any luck buying a complete + a frame, and then selling the frame from the complete?

#1 -   Jan 6, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BikeSATORI

BikeSATORI Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    typically in the past if I ever bought a complete bike I would do just about the complete opposite of what you are pondering...
    I would upgrade most of the mediocre/poor OE stock components on the bike and replace with better stuff that suited me more, making the frame ride better...
    I personally don't think I'd follow your suggested route, just for a frame that fits you, but that's me... seems logical to start with a frame/complete that you like, just might take more shopping.

$1500 on a complete bmx bike is over the roof, that's a whole lot of bike. Look at some used bikes, there are some insane deals to be had if you look hard enough.

#2 -   Jan 6, 2008
  3. escapeartist

escapeartist Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    This + Strippers + Blow = $1500, with a 21in top tube.

#3 -   Jan 6, 2008
  4. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 3
    $1500 is $$$$$. You can buy components for an uber-BMX for quite a bit less. I'd probably be looking at about 1/2 that.

#4 -   Jan 6, 2008
  5. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 3
    I have done what you are suggesting with an MTB, although I was lucky with the component choice of the manufacturer matching my requirement very closely.

#5 -   Jan 6, 2008
  6. grom-dom

grom-dom Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    damn bro! 1500 greenbacks? how bout we split it 50/50 cos i need 2 new sets of wheels!. go fyckin nuts if you feel the need to, i'd say take a good amount, build up a sick bike and put the rest away for repairs and parts

#6 -   Jan 6, 2008
  7. SirChomps-a-Lot

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 7
    I just started adding components into the cart on danscomp. It's not hard to get to 1500...

S&M black bike
    profile cranks/hubs
    etc, etc...

But yeah, that jane looks very nice.

8. SirChomps-a-Lot

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 7
    Yo, you got that 3 amigos from albes as all new parts... how in god's name did you get it all for $750? Show me an invoice.

9. Li'l Dave

Li'l Dave Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I would just build up from the frame up. By the time you buy even a nice complete and a separate frame you will still want to upgrade a lot of the parts.

I would just try to conserve on your build list a little bit, maybe rather than profile hubs get Odyssey or Shadow, and see where else you can go not uber fancy but still damn fancy. There are a lot of little things that you can save slightly on and not loose anything. This is if you actually have a problem with the big price, if not, goin with the best is always fun.

10. rpet

rpet Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    20 / 190
    my local LBS offered to get me a Fit complete, and then replace the stock frame with an S3... possibly you could find a shop willing to do that for you.

But the Jane is maybe the way to go. I think there are some other nice-ish completes with 21" out there too.