Quantcast

Anyone done a "summer gravity camp?"

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
It came to my attention that I am turning 35 this summer. This, by all accounts, is about five years longer than I had really planned on.

In celebration of surviving a half decade more than I wanted, I thought I might treat myself to a "summer gravity camp" this summer in Whistler.

Anyone done one? Between lodging and riding/the camp it comes out to $2600 before I buy a plane ticket. That's a lot of lap dances or extra ammo.That's for the SGC camp. With a plane ticket that's about $3k for a week. But I'd like to be a better rider as I did just buy a nice and pretty Yeti 303.

The cool/dick thing about the SGC camps is that you get to duck the lines, which on the weekend might be sort of handy. Kind of an entitled ass of a thing to do, but if you're blowing $3k, why not?

Has anyone done one of the other camps up there?

Or is Wade Simmons still up there?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here's how you go fast:
1) slow in, fast out
2) let go of your brakes
3) ride more
4) level feet
5) pedal more
6) man up

Give me $3k.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I know better than to buy used helmets.
And I bought two new TLD helmets. Thanks though.
Wait, your head got smaller from dropping weight?

$380 for lodging.
$200 for biking.
$240 for a car
$332 for my ticket

So like $1250 before I eat and drink for a week?

But I could use the coaching.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Ended up again getting screwed by the printer. Kind of BS in my opinion. Going to have to find somewhere else to do it for next year.

And we ended up with two guys in a single wide in Moab. It was a cool trip, but not worth making jerseys for.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I did that once. Woke up three days later, my ass was killing me, someone shaved one of my eyebrows off and on my lower back someone wrote "a man is not old until regrets replace dreams" like a tramp stamp.

And that was just the first year at boyscout camp...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
For the low, low cost of a plane ticket to Whistler and a weeks worth of cheesecake, I could yell at you, er coach you. I suspect you respond favorably to negative reinforcement, right ?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
4 years of the Army taught me to only respond to negative reinforcement.
Can we attach a doggie shock collar to my scrod for when I blow landings or don't take advantage of girls with everlasting gobstopper tattoos?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I was thinking more along the lines of a forced blind date with a member of PETA, having to watch Sex and the City, or listen to an iPod playlist consisting of nothing but the sound of tweens screaming for Justin Bieber.

I prefer NY style cheesecake with strawberries.

And if you don't clean all rock gardens in a decidedly authoritative manner, you will have to watch me eat said cheesecake in my underwear.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've jerked off to the first three. Justin really clears the pipes, if you know what I mean.

Are you going to wear full undies, or do you want to borrow my thong?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
$3000 better spent:
http://www.sacredrides.com/rides/peru/incaadventure

that being said, I´m planning to hit whistler with my buddies next march....
had a couple who went to whistler last year... and while they said the groomed tracks and jumps are awesome, they are kinda short compared to the 3-hour downhill rides this side of the world.
just fyi march is ski/snowboard season for whistler

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
whats a good time to go?
may?
not sure when they typically open for mtb operations, but i'd say maybe may? it depends on how much snow they had for the winter. i'd recommend play it safe and shoot for june. that way there's also a better chance the upper part of the mountain will be open, which is where more of the epic DH trails are anyways.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'd say post your question up in the DH forum, you'll get a much better response, as a number of the DH forum regulars live in whistler.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
1) Do the camp. Worth the money.

2) Go to Whistler in July/Aug.

1) sure. Just make sure you clearly state your disclaimer of NSFW-atude, and NC-17-osity.
I've heard good things about shaums march. I'm not sure what outfit he works with though.

2) yes. You want garbanzo to be open... It's going to take a while for that to happen this year.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
not sure when they typically open for mtb operations, but i'd say maybe may? it depends on how much snow they had for the winter. i'd recommend play it safe and shoot for june. that way there's also a better chance the upper part of the mountain will be open, which is where more of the epic DH trails are anyways.
I'd say "playing it safe" in that area of teh world would be mid-July and August...

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
They're usually open from the long weekend in May until Canadian Thanksgiviner in October.

July and Aug suck in Whistler. Trails are bombed out, line ups are huge and the village is full of idiots. June is good because schools not out and the trails are still fresh. September is IMO the best because its rained a bit and the trails are mint. No line ups and Garbonzo is still open.

If you don't care too much about spending money stay at the Pan Pacific right at the base of the chair; they have bike valet and a decent bar.

Last edited: