Quantcast

Anyone else get the Freecaster Movie?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I must admit I thought it was going to be different. Maybe a little longer, a little more explanation of each course and the points situation before each race... to be honest I'm a little disspointed. I think to improve, all they'd have to do next year is add the course-walks, and maybe provide a little more context. I found myself going to their site and watching the course-walk before watching each new race segment on the disc.

I also thought the Worlds section was really much too short. There was a lot of good riding farther up the mountain that was completely ignored in this movie.

Oh, and not that I want to be morbid or anything, but some of the highlights for the season for me were some of the major diggers during races. Like Gwin ragdolling in Val di Sole, getting up and still finishing on the podium. Holy sh!t that's tough. And Spagnolo's big off in Windham. For that matter, Windham claimed a few riders, Hannah and Peat too. Anyways, my point is that those were defining, big moments in the series, and the riders abilities to overcome them (or not in Hannah's case - I hope he's recovering well, it was scary as hell to watch him get up from that fall) and I would have liked to see them in the movie.

I guess what I'm saying is that the movie felt like an hour long trailer, whereas I was hoping for a retrospective and explanation of the season. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'm trying to provide some constructive feedback for next year.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Still waiting for my copy....but are you saying last years Freecaster Vid is better than this years?

That is weird that Gwin's rag-doll didn't make it. I remember them showing it on the live feed. Why not in the vid?

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
I don't think the new one is as good as last year's. I was hoping for some more extra content not included in the live webcasts. The addition of course walks would have been nice too.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I don't think the new one is as good as last year's. I was hoping for some more extra content not included in the live webcasts. The addition of course walks would have been nice too.
ditto.

I was also a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the footage is great, but it's so much shorter than the 2009 video.

I really liked last season's DVD, so I had high expectations

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Just finished watching it... I was expecting the full race footage as in every rider every run.

Not bad, but definitely not worth the 30$ I paid for it.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Thanks to all reviewers for saving me $30...embarassed to say, that's actually 'real money' in this ****e econ...my God will Clay Porter PLEASE stop worshipping the Athertons and go back to making WC films again????...Tipping Point has GOT to be one the best MTB films of all time..."Made" was pathetic...and should have been called "Home Made" imho...Didn't some other british crew make a 2010 WC film???

Speaking of films...I heard the new Rampage joint had like a $1mil+ budget!!! Anyone seen it???? Is it FINALLY out??? Thoughts???

As far as Peaty's crash at Windham...a good shot of that just doesn't seem to exist...my bro was right there...no camera at the top...just that crappy angle from the bottom??? WTF??? That was prolly a 15'+ drop...don'tcha think catching that from the top would have been a good idea???

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
woah! settle down friend, no need to get so excited! Indeed cash is hard to come by this year.

I think the Parkin brothers made a movie about last season... can't think off the top of my head what it was called. anyone?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I haven't seen any Freecaster vids, but since people mentioned the detail, I really liked "The Entree." You get a huge inside look at what goes into racing all year. Following more than one rider would be tough to capture the same effect.

"Made" was pathetic...and should have been called "Home Made" imho...
Every once in a while, I hear someone didn't like "Made." It's one of my favorites since the Earthed series died.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I found made very poorly, well, made. A lot of sped up sections, and overall didn't convey any of the excitement that the earthed series provided. I was really disappointed. I thought the last freecaster movie was actually pretty good but haven't watched the new one yet. Probably one of my favorites from last year was the dirt collection that they put out of all the videos from throughout the season.