Quantcast

Anyone else having problems with Comcast recently?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
For the 2nd time in a week my internet connection went tits up on me. The first time I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting on my end only to find out it was a Comcast issue. The 2nd time it goes down (with the exact same symptoms) and I do some basic troubleshooting. I call Comcast again and let them know what is going on, but the tier 1 monkeys can't seem to grasp the fact that there may be issues on their end. They seem to think that as long as the modem is pingable, then the connection should be working. For tier 1 tech this is fine, but after they find your modem pingable they dig their heels in and refiuse to admit or even investigate that there may be other issues on their network.

Plus when you tell them that you were a network technician for @Home for a couple of years, they just get an attitude. :rolleyes:

Basically I have a valid IP and can renew it with no problems, but the connection itself is almost non existant. Websites either come up very slowly or not at all. When I run a traceroute to any site my first hop always times out, the gateway itself is pingable on it's own but I did see some packet loss there when running extended pings.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Have you tried accessing the internet with a different machine, and possibly doing an FTP transfer to see if the bandwidth is there but maybe something else is hosed?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
binary visions said:
Have you tried accessing the internet with a different machine, and possibly doing an FTP transfer to see if the bandwidth is there but maybe something else is hosed?
It did boot off a Knoppix CD and had the same issue. I have not really poked around much with testing the UDP vs TCP connectivity or going out through different ports.

When I got up this morning my cable modem was totally offline and wouldn't sync up, so I didn't have a chance to try anything. I expect it will be working when I get home though, as was the case earlier this week.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Zero problems, unless you count increased speed over DSL and lower cost as problems.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Well after multiple calls to them and having them all insist that the problem is on my end, I got home yesterday to find that the cable tech had been out (as there was a mess of cut up coax left on the ground) and a working connection.