Quantcast

Anyone else monitoring the picking-Kryptonites-with-Bic-Pens story?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I first saw it here.

Yeah. I know. It smells like a hoax. But I just did it, opened my EvoLite with a bic pen. Oh crap.

Well. There goes the neighborhood.

(edit) Sorry, I feel like Chicken Little here, but maybe this is sticky? Or perhaps even a news item? If I hadn't done it myself, I wouldn't believe it...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wow, Kryptos are now useless. Thanks for the tip, I was gonna go get one next week...And my family has them on both of our storage units that hold all of our crap. Wonderful.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm. i'll wait until i see it myself. all i know is that last i checked (admittedly a year ago) the bike thieves in boston were still trying to saw my kryptonite evo 2000 as evidenced by several failed attempts worth of gouges, not shoving pens up its barrel.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
narlus said:
how does the NYC fuggedaboudit lock fare? it's a lot heavier than the U lock, but safe is safe...
So far it sounds like most any Krypto that takes a cylindrical key (EV Disk Lock, NY Chain, Evo2000, original etc) are vulnerable.

The newest series that take that long, thin, flat key (NY3000, Evo3000, and I think the Ffuggedaboutit) are, for obvious reasons, not susceptible to this pick.

Unsafe:

Safe (from this at least):

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well that's good to know, but i def wanna try it w/ my own locks when they return from overseas. damn, this is f'd. thanks for the heads up.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Wow, that is indeed f*cked. I just opened my "trusty" old (c.1997) Kryptonite with a Bic in about 10 seconds. Damn.

Thanks for the heads-up.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I use the Master Street Cuffs, they have a button in the center of the cylinder that sits flush when locked and pops up when open. It seems like they would be safe due to the button not allowing the pen to fit inside the lock. Anybody have one of these locks and know what I'm talking about?

I wonder if Krypto will be able to offer a simple retrofit fix? or if this will really put the hurt on them.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
punkassean said:
I use the Master Street Cuffs, they have a button in the center of the cylinder that sits flush when locked and pops up when open. It seems like they would be safe due to the button not allowing the pen to fit inside the lock.
Can you snap a close up picture and post? I've been thinking about getting this lock.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
yeah, i've got one of the EV disc locks on my New York chain. opened up pretty easy.
anyone know what steps krypto is taking, if any, to rectify this for all us customers who thought we'd bought the safest lock possible?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What's funny is that at BFN, they stick Google ads in the middle of threads. That thread at BFN has Kryptonite ads in the middle of it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

J

JRB

Tried it on a Krypto padlock with no success. I suck at lying and stealing though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Does this method work on all kryptonite 7-pin tubular locks, or only certain models - ie the bike versions?

I have one of these, wondering if I need a new lock now:

J

JRB

syadasti said:
Does this method work on all kryptonite 7-pin tubular locks, or only certain models - ie the bike versions?

I have one of these, wondering if I need a new lock now:

I couldn't do it with several pens last night. Not sure if you had a tube that fit that it wouldn't work.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Is anyone trying it on vending machine tubular locks yet - that would be a tasty hack...

D

Dingus McGee

remember everybody: "locks are there keep the honest people out"

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I tried it on my Evo 2000 for a minute or 2 and it didn't work.

For those that havve done it, is the pen the same size as the tumbler? I had to hammer the pen to get it in.

My Evo 2000 is ~8 years old if that makes a difference.

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
Repack said:
I tried it on my Evo 2000 for a minute or 2 and it didn't work.

For those that havve done it, is the pen the same size as the tumbler? I had to hammer the pen to get it in.

My Evo 2000 is ~8 years old if that makes a difference.
i work at a bike shop, and tried it yesterday with an old evo 2000, a new basic kryptolok, and my new evo 2000 mini, i was able to get everything but my mini.
the tumbler on the evo i was using was bigger than the pen, so it had to stretch to fit around it, but once you jammed it on, wiggled and turned, it was game over.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I use to use this lock - its the ultra bike club resizeable O-lock with a very different 4-sided key with holes on each side of varying size, depth, and pattern. Oh yeah, security through obscurity, just like Apple :thumb: (to a degree these days)...

Hmm, maybe I could eBay it and make a profit :D

The Ultra Bike Club™ is the first fully-adjustable bicycle lock - this feature, in addition to a triangular, steel gusset on the side of the lock housing, prevents the use of pry bars or other tools to defeat the lock.

"The Ultra Bike Club™ is not a U-lock. It resembles two U-shaped pieces with one piece ratcheting down in half inch increments into the other piece containing the lock housing," said Brand Manager, Brian Wildman. "Our design is unique because it eliminates empty areas inside the lock, spaces inherent in traditional, non-adjustable U-lock designs."

In November 1996, a major consumer-interest magazine reported that The Ultra Bike Club™ was excellent in resistance to attack and very good in ease of use and fit. The Ultra Bike Club™ also received a four chain ring rating out of a possible five from Bicycling Magazine.

The Ultra model also features a weather-resistant, European style, computer-cut key with literally thousands of combinations making it virtually impossible to "pick." It is packaged with three computer cut keys which offer higher security than ordinary flat or circular keys.

Made of a case-hardened, cro-moly alloy steel, The Ultra Bike Club™ is one of the strongest bike locks in the under 3 lb. weight class. Actual weight is 2 lbs., 10 oz. The Ultra Bike Club™ is 9 1/8 inches long, fully extended and adjusts to a minimum length of 6 1/4 inches. The interior diameter is 4 1/2 inches. A smaller version, The Ultra Bike Club™ Junior, is 7 inches fully extended, and adjusts to a minimum length of 5 1/8 inches. The interior diameter is 2 1/2 inches. It weights 2 lbs., 4 oz.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
fatpandas said:
i work at a bike shop, and tried it yesterday with an old evo 2000, a new basic kryptolok, and my new evo 2000 mini, i was able to get everything but my mini.
the tumbler on the evo i was using was bigger than the pen, so it had to stretch to fit around it, but once you jammed it on, wiggled and turned, it was game over.
That sucks wicked bad. I love(d) that lock, now I have a paper-weight. I had a bad feeling that I just wasn't trying hard enough. I have picked regular tumbler locks and wondered what would happen if I jammed something into my Krypto.

D

Dingus McGee

Couldn't open a little yellow Evo thats been abandoned outside my flat for months....yet. I has a mangled road wheel attached by a very nice Krypto chain.

Is it ethical to keep the chain if I can open it? It doesn't feel right even though the thing is clearly given up on. My wife thinks it's stealing, I claim it's gleaning
the urban debris.
:confused: