Quantcast

Anyone else monitoring the picking-Kryptonites-with-Bic-Pens story?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
syadasti said:
Can that thing hold up to a bolt cutter? i doubt it.... pickin the lock would take longer than simply snippin it lose...

If you are using ChicoDude's suggestion and an appropriate chain you'd be much safer.
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/class_search.pl?class_id=B552

i only say this out of experience i've had a storage space broken into.

As far as locking bikes i've always felt that locks only give a false sense of security. If you can swing it nothing beats a clear attentive line of vision and readiness to beat some ass.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Skookum said:
Can that thing hold up to a bolt cutter? i doubt it.... pickin the lock would take longer than simply snippin it lose...

If you are using ChicoDude's suggestion and an appropriate chain you'd be much safer.

As far as locking bikes i've always felt that locks only give a false sense of security. If you can swing it nothing beats a clear attentive line of vision and readiness to beat some ass.
A 4-pin tumbler with all the pins on one side can be fairly easy to pick. If there is any play, it only takes a few seconds.
About cutting a Krypto, the pic you posted is one of the thinner Krypto's out there. For something like a square New York lock, or a round Evo, picking would be (guessing here) much faster/easier/stealthy than using some sort of cutting device.

You may think that I am a thief, but I'm not. Just wanted to clear that up. I cut many locks at my shop after people lost keys. Plus I once picked a tumbler just to try it and was horrified at how easy it was. The scarriest part though was not being sure that I would be able to pick the lock locked again!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Slugman said:
So Kryptonite.... uh, where is the recall/refunds?

Now that I don't have a lock for my bikes... :mumble:
your lock (and a few of mine) are now obsolete, not defective.

I don't think Krypto owes anyone anything, but I do think they should pull all existing affected product off the shelves and credit dealers towards new product.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Skookum said:

Bolt cutters won't work, thats a high-end lock with case hardened steel...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
punkassean said:

I don't think Krypto owes anyone anything, but I do think they should pull all existing affected product off the shelves and credit dealers towards new product.
I agree. In a similiar issue, I wonder why Ford didn't get more of the blame for the Firestone/Ford issue. The reason why the Exploder had issues was that Ford recommended running the tires lower than Firestone suggested to compensate for rushing the design out the door - they should have spent more time designing the Exploder so you didn't need to underflate the tires for proper ride...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Skookum said:
Have you ever tried it?
yes, bolt cutter don't work on case hardened steel, you can't cut material that is just as hard or harder than the blades you use...

J

JRB

syadasti said:
I agree. In a similiar issue, I wonder why Ford didn't get more of the blame for the Firestone/Ford issue. The reason why the Exploder had issues was that Ford recommended running the tires lower than Firestone suggested to compensate for rushing the design out the door - they should have spent more time designing the Exploder so you didn't need to underflate the tires for proper ride...

Because Ford sucks. Every one I saw on the news was a right rear tire. Me thinks maybe a design flaw, crooked axle if you will. Had it happen on trailers we overloaded and bent the axle. That and the dumb bitches were all going 85-100 mph when it was 95 degrees outside. I am sure most happened in Texas. We have some dumb people, not including myself.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
loco-gringo said:
Good ones will. They are $200-$300 though.
The common bolt cutters you will find in most hardware/tool stores won't cut case hardened steel cause they themselves are case hardened steel. You need harder steel which as you say is expensive...

If they have a bolt cutter good for cutting case hardened steel, you are screwed either way, cause most cheaper chains are not case hardened and the more expensive case hardened aren't any cut-proof than that lock or top of the line U-locks (also made from hardened steel)...

Here is a good bit of advice from the original thread about the U-Locks:

I've had a bit of experience with lockpicking (though I only use my powers for good), and have read quite a bit about bike theft, and this issue isn't really that big a deal. Most bike locks can be defeated in one way or another in seconds. Cables of any size are very easy to cut, as are any non-case-hardened chains and locks. Most U locks (not the stronger krypto models) can be popped off with no tools at all, by lifting the bike off the ground and using its frame as a lever to twist the lock. I've picked many "normal" style locks in about a minute using improvised tools, like a paper clip and a pencil, and with practice I'm sure it would be much faster.
A friend of mine once saw a bike stolen... a van stopped, a guy with cable cutters got out, snipped a lock, grabbed the bike, and was off again in about ten seconds, before any of the passersby even realised what was happening.
All that considered, one more method of defeating a bike lock isn't that earth shaking. It definitely is something to be aware of, and I personally plan to replace my ev disk lock with somethimg the theives havn't seen so often, but it's important to remember that if anyone really wants a bike that's locked outside, they can probably have it a lot faster than you'd like.

Regarding some of the suggestions that have been posted:
-Cross locking (using multiple locks of different types) works. Most theives only carry the tools for one type of lock at a time, and even if they have all the tools, don't want to spend too long on one bike.
-I haven't tried it with this method yet, but I suspect that lubing the keyway will make it easier rather than harder. As a general rule, lubricated locks in good working order are far easier to pick.
-Using a second padlock in addition to the Kropto lock on an NY Chain sounds like a good deterrent.
-Locking close to the ground may make picking with a pen more difficult, but is traditionally considered risky as it allows a thief to hammer on the lock using the ground as an anvil. Under present circumstances, that's probably less of a threat though.

Here are some thoughts from NYC Bike messengers on appropriate padlocks for an NY chain: http://www.nybma.com/faq/question3.htm

All this said, Kryptonite makes great locks. It sucks to find out that a great pick for their style lock is so common, but every competitor that I've looked at has had many other flaws in their products, so don't be too hasty to buy something different.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
punkassean said:

Although I can see your point, I disgree becasue having a round piece of plastic defeat the tubular key system is a sign that the design is flawed.

There is no lock out there that will stop a professional thief, so there are no guarantees with any lock. But shouldn't a Kryptonite lock be able to stop crack heads and 10 year olds...

They sell a product based on their reputation and a 'promise' that it will keep your items safe... it's just good business.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Slugman said:
Although I can see your point, I disagree because having a round piece of plastic defeat the tubular key system is a sign that the design is flawed.

There is no lock out there that will stop a professional thief, so there are no guarantees with any lock. But shouldn't a Kryptonite lock be able to stop crack heads and 10 year olds...

They sell a product based on their reputation and a 'promise' that it will keep your items safe... it's just good business.
Krypto's name is so good because their locks have saved 1,000's of bikes over the years. Someone finally found the weakness and it just so happens it's relatively simple. Krypto did their best to make a good lock and they succeeded. Now that the code has been cracked it's time for a new code. Everything is defeat-able, it just so happens that this one is defeat-able with a Bic pen. Really, they owe none of us anything. They didn't design that type of lock core anyway, they just implemented it based on it's success.

think of it like this, even the strongest man still has temples...

I'm just glad they (Krypto) already have a better product available so we have an option to protect our bikes somewhat.

This is also a good reminder that no matter how good you think your protected, you aren't!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can't believe the number of people that think this is no big deal simply because all locks are pick-able.

It doesn't matter if all locks are pickable, the fact is not every Joe off the street can be handed a lock pick and be able to open a defeat a lock mechanism in under a minute.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Doesn't it behoove them to get these locks off of the street? How soon before people go after them for the cash pay-out that they promise if their locks are defeated?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incubus said:
Doesn't it behoove them to get these locks off of the street? How soon before people go after them for the cash pay-out that they promise if their locks are defeated?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they actually claim that their locks can't be broken, not picked? I believe you have to send them the broken lock in order to make a claim.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
from what i understand, to claim a theft, you need to show destruction of the lock. otherwise, how to prove it's not fraud?

2ndly, if you read the boston globe article, it mentioned that they are accelerating the rollout of their new locks (was to occur @ interbike but for obvious reason they are advancing it). it'll be based on the key/lock type of the NYC locks, i believe.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
binary visions said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they actually claim that their locks can't be broken, not picked?
Yeah, I'm sure that is in the big print on their marketing brochures...

narlus said:
2ndly, if you read the boston globe article, it mentioned that they are accelerating the rollout of their new locks (was to occur @ interbike but for obvious reason they are advancing it). it'll be based on the key/lock type of the NYC locks, i believe.
So if you recently (2 in the last year and half for me) bought their products your just SOL...

And if the locks that are failing were a new design, who is to say this revision is any better?!?!

I just don't like the attitude of "too bad but our locks are as useful as a zip tie, now you have to buy our new locks". Personally, I'd have some sort of trade in deal (pro-rated of course). It's just a good faith move.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Response:

For more than 30 years, Kryptonite has focused on delivering innovative advances that establish the benchmark for lock technology, product performance and enhanced security.

In light of recent demonstrations on the Internet that explain how to criminally defeat tubular lock technology, which has performed successfully for more than three decades, Kryptonite intends to expedite the introduction of its upgraded Evolution and KryptoLock lines. The products will have the disc-style cylinder that has the same technology as the company's famous New York Lock.

Specificallly, Kryptonite will provide the owners of Evolution and KryptoLok series products the ability to upgrade their crossbars to the new disc-style cylinder, where possible. This cylinder provides greatly enhanced security and performance.

Kryptonite is finalizing the details of this upgrade process and will publicly communicate these details as soon as possible.

Deb Dow
Kryptonite Customer Service
437 Turnpike St
Canton, MA 02021
781-828-6655 x258
781-821-0780 fax#

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Oh yeah ... well I opened a WedLock too! Sh1tty no? :(

I'm too honest to try soda/candy machines ... but the curiosity is killing me. :devil:
I read the tubular locks in vending machines are much more secure. They require much more rotation to unlock - the pen trick probably won't work.

D

Dingus McGee

BuddhaRoadkill said:
I'm too honest to try soda/candy machines ... but the curiosity is killing me. :devil:
Bike locks don't adhere to the standards of 'real' locks. This is per a locksmith-
"bike locks are toys" -I shoulda asked why a few bucks and some candy is more valuable than a nice bike, but maybe Krypto should field that one.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I have "real" information on which locks were covered as part of the Bic scandal. I just need to re-read the Boston Globe article. I am pretty sure that it said that only Evolution Serries locks, and a couple of others made after 2002 are vulnerable. This would explain why I could open my ~8yo Evo 2000.

Also, how far do you turn you key to unlock? I need to turn mine a full 180deg.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Im just waiting for the Krypto people to get their thumbs out and send me new stuff..

Have a cpl of boxes of those locks :( *sob*

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Still no news for mine....did anyone even get a replacement? All I got was this e-mail back in october
Kryptonite Lock Exchange said:
Dear Kryptonite Lock Exchange Participant,

Thank you for registering for the Kryptonite Lock Exchange Program,
and thank you for your patience as you've been waiting to hear more news.
We wanted to give you an update on our progress.

We have begun sending UPS call-tags to participants for their use in
returning their Kryptonite tubular cylinder locks,
and we are preparing to send their replacement locks to them.
This is being done on a first-registered, first-served basis.
If you've not yet received a call tag from us, you should be receiving one soon.

We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have created.
Please know that we are working diligently to
complete the lock exchange as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
Team Kryptonite Customer Service

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Acadian said:
Still no news for mine....did anyone even get a replacement? All I got was this e-mail back in october
We got the same email about the same time... but nothing has happened!

Has anyone even gotten the "UPS call tags" yet?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I had a new york city lock that is getting replaced. My friend had the same lock and got his replacement awhile back and their giving you one of those little round locks that comes on the kyrptochain. Kinda bummed since you can cut through those with a lock cutter. Considering those locks cost a pretty penny, I'm a bit unimpressed with their replacement choice. Anyone else get something better for the NYC??