Quantcast

Anyone else on here love cheap (prescription) glasses?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So after getting sick and tired of spending $400+ on glasses (1.67 high index, anti-glare coating, blah blah blah) once every ~4 years or so, the wife and I dropped ~$200 on *six* pairs of glasses from a cheap online store last year (Zenni Optical, if anyone cares) after reading reviews and hearing that they were good. They were cheap, as in *stupidly* cheap (started ~$13, going up to ~$50 for a pair of sunglasses with tint, the high index, etc). About the only tricky thing was measuring pupil distance, but we were both able to have the optometrist measure for us. I got a pair of normal sunglasses, a pair of prescription insert sunglasses for riding, and a pair of bendy-titanium frames that I would care about if they got mangled doing something. I still had my previous glasses, and my prescription didn't change so I had those to keep as my primary glasses.

Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference in quality between those and my $400+ Ray Bans....

This year we had some money left in my wife's flex account, and so ordered up another five pair between the two of us (total ~$135?), including brighter colors, some with colored 10% tint (one blue, one green), and basically just had fun with it. My entire view on glasses has changed: they went from being uber-expensive that I got to buy *one* of every 3-4 years, to me now having ~7 in different colors/styles/etc. They went from despised boring crap to something that I actually *want* to wear.

Anyone else play around with these? So far I've been extremely happy with mine, and I can't imagine how useful this would be for someone with kids...

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
You can check out zennipotical.com, my wife orders cheap perscription glasses from them often. All you need to know is your prescription specs.

I'm pretty sure they come from China so you might get a little bird flu extra free of charge. :D

**EDIT** Wow, I totally missed the part where you had already checked out zenni optical. I'm definitely not awake yet.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm actually in the market right now...... I have full insurance for glasses though...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sounds like that cellphoneshop.net that my Verizon store tipped me to. $2.99 for most anything on the site. Bought two car chargers for our cells and with shipping it totalled $10.

$60 for two chargers at the V store.

Dante, got any pics of your arsenal? On the table, on your mug, etc.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Dante, got any pics of your arsenal? On the table, on your mug, etc.

They screwed up the middle pair on the left, it was only supposed to have a 10% green tint instead of the 50% that they put on it, making them more like sunglasses. I've got an RA# to send them back, but I figure I'll wear them for a little bit today to see if I want to keep them or not.

edit: And all of these, plus the 5 that my wife got all cost less than the single pair that I bought at LensCrafters ~7 years ago.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Thread re-hash:

Need to get a good set of prescription glasses for my 9 year old to alternate out for playing sports. Something like the Asian Fit Oakley Jacket series. Anybody ever order something similar for their kids? Or from this zennioptical.com site?