Quantcast

anyone ever been to Finland?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i will be there next week for work...too bad there will only be about 6 hrs of light...and it will be cold...but still it should be cool to see the land some of my ancestors came from.

on the off chance anyone's been, what is there to see and do in Helsinki?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We spent just a day there. There's an island fortress that's pretty cool out in the bay. We also went to see the crazy stone church downtown, but it was closed.

The waterfront area was pretty cool what with shops, a market, crazy Russian circus performers, etc. :thumb:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I lived in Tampere (about 2 hr north by train from Helsinki) from Jan - May 1997.

If the water is frozen, try to get to a place they have an avanto (hole in the ice near a sauna for bathing).
This is the nutty Finnish national pasttime - going from the hot sauna to the frozen avanto for a refreshing dip.
Be sure to bring your wooden mug and vodka.

Sunny at the avanto, Feb 1997. All that white stuff is snow and ice.
They had an air compressor blowing air into the water to maintain the hole. Yep. Freakin cold.

I loved Finland.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
I've been there 3 times. I used to live in Sweden and I visited there when I could. I used to date the most beautiful woman from Finland and man she could drink. This was my early 20s and man she almost had my number. Anyway, I've been there in both the summer and winter and I loved it in both seasons. Helsinki has some kick ass pubs and the ferry between Stockholm is always a blast (and cheap and great for singles). Have fun. I'm jealous!