Quantcast

anyone ever been to Tiajuana?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i really wanna go. i dunno why, but i do. Maybe bmx-up the place. is it really the ghetto i've been told it is? i might try to go with a friend this upcoming summer.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i saw a skatepark there that looked cool. so hah. sure, it was cracked, full-o-holes plywood with $h!t ass coping, but it looked cool nonetheless. Anywho...i still wanna go

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It's Tijuana not Tiajuana, and if you rode a moto there how would you get your bike there too?

Go to TJ for the fish tacos, clam, cerveza's and venereal diseases—not to ride bikes.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
mack said:
yeah, but where else can he pick up herpes for .50 $?
if thats not the truth i don't know what is. If you live in Santa Cruz county, you can just go to Pajaro, its pretty much the same thing minus the 10 hr drive!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Some friends of mine were in TJ, and some guy at one of the bars brought this girl I know a drink, she of course was smart enough to say "no thanks!" my friend standing next to her however said, "Uh.... I'll drink it", took it from the dude, and slammed it. Next thing you know, he was out cold.
TJ is so sleezy, you gotta love it!

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
I hear there's actually a DH scene down in Ensenada (sp?). They have a few races a year. There's also decent places to camp on the beach once you pass Rosarito. I used to go several times a summer with no hassle, fireworks galore. :sneaky:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Go during spring break. It's like being in the middle of a Girls gone wild video with all the teenage girls driving down from San Diego so they can get wasted. Also Rosarito is a very nice beach with a nice bar scene a lot better the TJ more of a resort type feel to it.
Also don't give Mexican cops any smart ass lip they won't hesitate to throw you in the slammer to get 50 bucks out of ya.
The drinking water is OK. The food is good. Check out Revolution Street but stay out of the whore houses. The drunk American girls on spring break are cheaper and cleaner.
As for crime.... Put it this way the Telecom company I was working with down there had to pay guards with machine guns to watch out for snipers. Evidently everyone wanted to work there and when they didn't need to hire anymore more people a few creative types decided to create their own demand for workers. At least thats what the engineers told me.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Worst place I have ever been to, everything everyone said on the board is true...If you want to go, park on the US side, WALK in DO NOT DRIVE i made this mistake a few years back when i was out in cali. Also dont take anything you value, and duct tape your wallet to ur nutsack to keep it safe...biking there is just retarded :confused:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
It's really a fun place to go. I was lucky enough to have the local engineers take me out and show me around.
I definately think going there for the riding is a BAD idea.
Wait until you're in your early 20's and go see a donkey show.
Also most car rental places won't let you take a car across the border. Your car won't last 15 minutes in TJ with US plates on it.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
TJ is a freakin demilitarized zone... go with a large group and stick together if you decide to go, dont drink the water, and dont ummmmm.... socialize.

Oh, and dont break the law - you have no constitutional rights down there.

Of course you can get a nice blanket and chess set for cheap. :dancing:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Geez fellas it's mexico not columbia, really it's not that bad as long as you go with someone who's been before. Last time I went I saw dozens of chicanos riding bikes across the border with less wait time than pedestrians or motorists. If you're not a cocky american dick head you won't get in any trouble with the poli, if you do just ask ask them how much they want to let you go on your way. Keep a handfull of cash in one pocket and another handfull in another, so when somebody tries to rip you off you can pull out one wad and say that's all you have. TJ only exists because of it's proximity to san diego, the mexicans actually value US tourists as long as you aren't being disrespectful to their culture and country just about anything will fly down there.

I'd be a little leary of riding in TJ but if you have the time and the means you could travel to one of the real mexican cities, not a border town, and get lost riding cobblestone streets past 150 year old cathedrals and plazas. If you learn a few phrases in espanol and are willing to spend all the money you've got like you've got money to spare people will treat you really nice, if all else fails pretend to be a mormon missionary, nobody gives missionaries a hassle down there.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Crashby said:
Oh, and dont break the law - you have no constitutional rights down there.
This and Kornphlakes advice is the best so far I think. When I was living in S.D. we used to go down there to drink (We were under 21). It's not as bad as it is made out to be, and they have made many improvements over the years. They actually have paved roads now! :)

Seriously though, you'll probably get more out of it when you are 18, but if you do go, DO NOT break the law or act like a dick head. Be inconspicous, and blend in. Oh yeah, Have Fun!