Quantcast

Anyone ever had bone spurs removed from their big toe?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone ever had surgery to remove bone spurs from the top of the main joint on your big toe? I need to have it done to both feet, gotten 2 opinions now, both have given me identical diagnosis/suggestions. Looks like I have to get them down in serial, and not simultaneously. Stupid basketball injuries in both cases. Anyone ever had this done? I want to get some "real world" experience on recovery times.

I'm trying to figure out when to have this done. I want to try to get a few weekends of skiing in, and get a few rides on some new parts before I get it done. But I want to try and be ready for northstar/mammoth opening around late June/early July. Any suggestions? The surgeons are reluctant to give me a specific timetable, but have hinted at roughly 3 months till I can do athletic activity. Any tips?

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
do it immediatly and youll still get some late season skiing in and then be able to ride all summer. plus if anything happens to take longer, you won't wreck your summer.

(I'm typing this while in a cast right now)

-KT

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
What are the symptoms that make this "necessary"?

Sounds like surgeons trying to fatten their wallets, to me anyway.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
What are the symptoms that make this "necessary"?

Sounds like surgeons trying to fatten their wallets, to me anyway.
Thanks for the medical opinion there.

Ya you're probably right, I'm just being an idiot who'd rather get surgery and miss several months of biking for no reason. Nevermind the large chucks of bone growing into my joint and causing lots of swelling (visible on the outside), constant pain, and greatly reduced motion of the joint. And I'll just pretend that the second surgeon who I saw who had no financial interest in prescribing surgery recommended it too.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Thanks for the medical opinion there.

Ya you're probably right, I'm just being an idiot who'd rather get surgery and miss several months of biking for no reason. Nevermind the large chucks of bone growing into my joint and causing lots of swelling (visible on the outside), constant pain, and greatly reduced motion of the joint. And I'll just pretend that the second surgeon who I saw who had no financial interest in prescribing surgery recommended it too.
I see you are unfamiliar with the idea of surgery that is potentially advisable, but mainly optional.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone who skis alpine can think he can have foot surgery in the same season he skis. He must not know how to fit his own alpine boots.

Anyway, obviously you came onto RM looking for quasi-medical advice, and quasi-medical advice is what I'm offering. What are the problems that would make you have this surgery?

I can find surgeons in my 85k person town to do a lot of surgeries on me, if that's what I'm looking for. The question is always whether it's necessary. Surgeons want to do surgery -- that's how they make money. Duh.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I see you are unfamiliar with the idea of surgery that is potentially advisable, but mainly optional.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone who skis alpine can think he can have foot surgery in the same season he skis. He must not know how to fit his own alpine boots.

Anyway, obviously you came onto RM looking for quasi-medical advice, and quasi-medical advice is what I'm offering. What are the problems that would make you have this surgery?

I can find surgeons in my 85k person town to do a lot of surgeries on me, if that's what I'm looking for. The question is always whether it's necessary. Surgeons want to do surgery -- that's how they make money. Duh.
Ask m to do some brainsurgery... :twitch:

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Not an idiot

Wasn't planning on skiing after I get the surgery

No, I wasn't looking for medical advice, I have doctors for that. I was looking for experience with recovery times, and first hand experience with pain/recovery. The symptoms/problems I've already covered.

Surgeons want to do surgery -- that's how they make money. Duh.
Again, I'm not an idiot. That's why I've tried other treatments, talked to 2 surgeons, and talked to several personal friends who are doctors (not surgeons). And done research on my own. Again, I'm not an idiot. If you've got some magical non-surgical, permanent treatments I haven't tried, I'm all ears.

Edit:

Maybe I should post up my xrays so you e-doctors and diagnose me better?

Last edited: