Quantcast

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Keep up on your oil changes, and I'd probably switch to synthetic. If you don't want extra maintenance, don't get one. Also, get the whole package. Exhaust, intake, chip. It'll all make a big difference.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I test drove a supercharged taco once, as I was interested in buying it. It was loud because of the s/c whine, had poor braking, and was pathetically slow. I haven't spent any time in a stock one, but I couldn't see bothering with the S/C, since you're either going to go slow with a lot of noise or slower with less noise. Face it, it's a truck.

Also, if you're going to s/c it, stick with the TRD system, as it's factory warrantied and when you crash the thing through a fence, you can blame toyota.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Trade it in for a Chevy. @ 360 HP it's all the power I've ever wanted & more:thumb:
Yea, but they you're the moron getting 12MPG making less power in the gas truck. There's 3 fully built dodge diesel rigs up the street. 2 are in the 800-900 HP range and 1 is up over 1000, and loads more torque. All 3 still make near 20MPG daily. Full size V8 Gas trucks are a joke.

ehhhh, if you want a ford you have to get like an F550 to actually get a rad motor. They fixed the big issue I have with my truck, and that everything around the cummins motor is made by chrysler, and put ford bits around it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't feel bad because it's not a Ford motor, but the rest of the truck sure could be nicer.
Ford is now using their own engines instead of using Navistar to make em.
always loved the PowerStroke power, but the Ford interiors always turns me off, particularly on the Super Duty's.
the fact that Ford can just re-flash early 2011 models to get more power out of it, shows the huge potential in a diesel. especially massive displacement ones like your truck and the new ones.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ford is now using their own engines instead of using Navistar to make em.
always loved the PowerStroke power, but the Ford interiors always turns me off, particularly on the Super Duty's.
That's why I bought the XL. No power windows/locks, bench seat, but it does have tilt, cruise, and AC. But whoever put the deck in managed to pinch the main harness under the dash that caused a short (brake light fuse).

Yes, the interior in my 2000 is crap. GFF's (2008) is very nice even for a Ford.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the funnest truck i have ever been around was at waterfest around 6-8 years a go.....mid 90's chevy 2500.....twin turbo 454 running SDS....being used as a tow rig.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the funnest truck i have ever been around was at waterfest around 6-8 years a go.....mid 90's chevy 2500.....twin turbo 454 running SDS....being used as a tow rig.
There was an old lady (mid 80's?) that used to drag a Cummins Dodge 3500 4x4 dually at Woodburn. Her husband raced pro stock and the Dodge pulled the trailer. She got bored one day and entered the truck, she's been racing it ever since.

Because Woodburn does brackets, she is wicked competitive because she runs a consistent 32 second 1/4 :rofl: It is painful to watch, though.

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
if you want a ford you have to get like an F550 to actually get a rad motor. They fixed the big issue I have with my truck, and that everything around the cummins motor is made by chrysler, and put ford bits around it.
the F550 still uses the same Duramax as the F250-450

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yea, but they you're the moron getting 12MPG making less power in the gas truck. There's 3 fully built dodge diesel rigs up the street. 2 are in the 800-900 HP range and 1 is up over 1000, and loads more torque. All 3 still make near 20MPG daily. Full size V8 Gas trucks are a joke.
Sweet! Horsepower dick-waving. Just what this thread needed! :rolleyes:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
what exactly do you drive? a dodge 2500? :rolleyes:

a diesel truck that isn't used to haul a 15klb trailer is a joke. people that buy big diesel pickup trucks and have nothing to haul or tow, are also a joke.
Dude, I go camping all the time. I live in the SF bay area, believe me if I could make do with a civic I would, I actually tried. I need more space. For the budget I had the only other thing that was comparable in fuel economy, could seat enough people, and haul **** was a 4 runner. Not a hard choice dude

No buying a gas truck is a joke. You're missing the other advantages to diesel, like the fact that besides hauling more crap and having more torque they also last twice as long and are far more effecient. Those were the 2 things that did it for me.

the F550 still uses the same Duramax as the F250-450
I thought they put cummins in there big trucks. I got towed a while back in an F650 that the driver claims had a cummins

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
what exactly do you drive? a dodge 2500? :rolleyes:

a diesel truck that isn't used to haul a 15klb trailer is a joke. people that buy big diesel pickup trucks and have nothing to haul or tow, are also a joke.
If they made a diesel in 1/2 ton, I would have bought it. Is my 1 ton overkill? Yes. But is it better to get 18/20mpg of biodiesel than 12/14mpg of unleaded? Yes, yes it is.

I am working on a Toyota TDi truck project (thanks in part to stevew) that will be 2wd and get at least double the mpg of its unleaded brother. It will also run B99. I haul motorcycles mostly, a Civic doesn't work for me and I use a motorcycle for commuting.

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
If they made a diesel in 1/2 ton, I would have bought it. Is my 1 ton overkill? Yes. But is it better to get 18/20mpg of biodiesel than 12/14mpg of unleaded? Yes, yes it is.

I am working on a Toyota TDi truck project (thanks in part to stevew) that will be 2wd and get at least double the mpg of its unleaded brother. It will also run B99. I haul motorcycles mostly, a Civic doesn't work for me and I use a motorcycle for commuting.
i never said to buy a civic.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i never said to buy a civic.
But you did say buying my F350 sans 15k trailer was a joke. So should I have gotten a Silverado instead? It would have been used just as much as my F350, only it would have cost a LOT more in fuel and would have saved me nothing in the end.

Not to mention the Oregon tax credit I got on last years return ($.50/gal of B99 used). 600 gallons of B99 cost $1554 @$2.59/gal. So after the tax credit, I spent $2.09 a gallon for a renewable resource vs. $2.89 a gallon unleaded. Factor in +5mpg or better on bio and the truck almost makes me money.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Buying another truck isn't in the cards right now. Need to get four more years out of my truck before I can justify buying another one.

This is what I really want:

But that's a few years down the road as even used they're $70,000+.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Buying another truck isn't in the cards right now. Need to get four more years out of my truck before I can justify buying another one.

Is that a Sportwagon? There was a dude at Intel that used to commute from Vancouver, WA in one of those. I thought it was a sweet ride, but an awful commuter.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

I WANT.
So bada$$.
Saw a bunch of them in Fruita/Moab.

Right now I drive an '88 Ford Econoline E150 conversion van. Bought it cheap to use for camping/shuttles a few years ago. Also bought a small sedan as a daily driver. Van outlasted the car by far and is still going, minimal maintenance. If it didn't get 10mpg and the A/C worked, it would be awesome :D

The Toyota Taco is THE shuttle vehicle here in AZ. Most of the guys I ride with have them.

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
You said to buy something that uses more gas and hauls less stuff than he already has.......
no, retard, i did not. you incorrectly inferred that.

i said that if you buy a diesel truck and do not tow or haul anything big or heavy enough to warrant a diesel, you are a joke.

But you did say buying my F350 sans 15k trailer was a joke. So should I have gotten a Silverado instead? It would have been used just as much as my F350, only it would have cost a LOT more in fuel and would have saved me nothing in the end.
a 1/2-ton truck would've been cheaper to buy off the showroom floor. thousands cheaper. at $2.09/gal versus $2.59/gal, and 600 gallons a year, that's $300 less in fuel costs every year. your truck is a MY2000 so you've had it for 10 years, so we can assume your fuel costs were discounted $4000 (and yes, this is corrected by 5mpg for a gasoline truck) by driving an F350 instead of a 1/2-ton gasser.

a fleet F350 with bare bones options costs $4k+ more than a comparable 1/2-ton truck.

if you do not use/need a 1-ton diesel truck for its intended purpose, then you are still in the hole. just admit that you bought the truck because you wanted a big, bad truck.

Dirt, i would pass on tricking out the truck. More power leads to other wear and tear and the desire for more mods. IE, brakes, tuning, tires, sway bars etc.
As someone who has done it i would now rather trick out the DH bike with some AVY goodness, get a stack of sticky tires and take some sick trips to places you have never been. Whores and cocaine optional.:rofl:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
no, retard, i did not. you incorrectly inferred that.

i said that if you buy a diesel truck and do not tow or haul anything big or heavy enough to warrant a diesel, you are a joke.
I had 4500 for a truck. I needed something to haul 4 people 4 bikes and camping gear. It was either get 20MPG in a 4 runner or a diesel, or get 12-14 in a 1/2 ton V8. By the way the diesel also doesn't need to be smoged, and still has another half million miles EASY in it. Again, SIMPLY choice.......

I guess you don't understand that not every one buys a car off a lot.......

a 1/2-ton truck would've been cheaper to buy off the showroom floor. thousands cheaper. at $2.09/gal versus $2.59/gal, and 600 gallons a year, that's $300 less in fuel costs every year. your truck is a MY2000 so you've had it for 10 years, so we can assume your fuel costs were discounted $4000 (and yes, this is corrected by 5mpg for a gasoline truck) by driving an F350 instead of a 1/2-ton gasser.

a fleet F350 with bare bones options costs $4k+ more than a comparable 1/2-ton truck.

if you do not use/need a 1-ton diesel truck for its intended purpose, then you are still in the hole. just admit that you bought the truck because you wanted a big, bad truck.
Don't forget you need to buy 2 gas trucks for every 1 diesel. They do last twice as long......

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I paid $7k for it almost 2 years ago and am selling it today for $7500. So I will make $500 after putting 30k miles on it since purchased. So the fuel and tax savings are in addition to that.

A gas truck would not have made a profit at resale.

I bought it to run biodiesel, thats why I bought a diesel in the first place. As I said before, if there was a 1/2 ton option, I would have gone that route. I also said I am building a 1/2 ton diesel because one does not exist in the wild. The truck I will build will fit my needs AND get better mileage AND run on alternative fuels.

I bought the 7.3 because it runs B99 without modification and they are known to go 300k+. The fact it came in a 1 ton package was a drawback, but the pros still outweigh the cons.

Last edited: