Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm thinking since I am going to keep it until the wheels come off that I want to supercharge my 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

Anyone ever done something like this?

Toyota TRD makes one, as does Under Dog Racing. The TRD one doesn't kill the warranty either.

Does a supercharger over time kill the engine faster? Does it cause reliability issues?

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
One of my friends had a 2000 Tacoma that had the TRD supercharger installed from day one. He got it with 150k miles and it still seemed to run strong. It felt fast, but with the auto transmission it really wasn't. The brakes should have been upgraded, though. They were terrible.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The TRD SC for the 5.7L Tundras makes right around 500hp (up from 381 stock), and torque goes up almost equivalently too but I don't remember the numbers. Makes the fastest naturally aspirated V8 truck on the market even faster. I too have been looking into long-term reliability issues with it, since that's my main concern.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm also concerned with what it would do to the truck off road.
+ horsepower and torque is good.
but spinning wheels and tearing up tires and terrain is not as awesome.

But I also just tend to haul ass across the desert a lot too.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
If not already installed, don't forget the giant Tap Out sticker on the back window.

Really?

"I want to supercharge my truck, but don't want increased maintenance or reduced reliability"..

Um....yeah....

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
It worked great off-road. Just make sure you have the locking rear diff.
For a demonstration, check this video. The Tacoma does a very steep hill at about 4:00.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The TRD setup is very nice. I wouldn't go aftermarket just because the one from the factory is way too easy.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The TRD one is around $3200.
I could save for a couple months for that.

Truck's got 76k on it.
I figure I'll keep it to 150 or 175k just cause I really do like that truck. Best I've ever owned.

And well, haterz gonna hate...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The TRD setup is very nice. I wouldn't go aftermarket just because the one from the factory is way too easy.
2nded.

i know a lot of people with Dakota R/T's like me, that have a ProCharger or Vortech blower on their trucks. their reliability has been great especially with the ProCharger since they use a intercooler and are a better build than most other companies

the TRD blower is nice too since its a factory part and bolts up super easy and was specifically designed for that engine. plus it doesnt take up too much room since its a roots blower
of course with the blower you ideally need a better or new exhaust system, better or new intake system, ignition system is nice too and possibly a different ECU designed for the blown engine.

i was about to get a blower for my truck, but bought a bike instead.....go figure.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm also thinking I want to do this for a skid plate:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

I know it isn't safe to assume anything with DMG, but yes, you will want to go intake/exhaust/chip and consider a front brake upgrade if possible. If you JUST add the supercharger, you will get additional power, but you won't take full advantage.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You should be fine...obviously there aren't any guarantees. Personally, I would go with the TRD charger if you can get it and keep the warranty. Mild boost, from my experience, hasn't really affected motors much. It's when you start to get greedy that it can get ugly. I would definitely pop for exhaust too, headers back. It will help keep the EGTs down and will make much more of a difference on a blower setup than if you were to do exhaust on a stock motor.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Dirt... careful with the Toyota/TRD ECU tuning. I hear it's terrible, and a lot of people have their engines lean out and blow up.

Supposedly the TRD charger itself is bullet proof and runs REALLY strong for at least 100,000 miles. But their tuning is terrible. Get someone else to do your fuel mapping for you.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just buy a tuner and do it yourself...what could go wrong? Make sure you post the results.

Seriously though, I agree on having a competent shop do the tuning.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Get someone else to do your fuel mapping for you.
Some of the newer style auto tuners (at least for streetbikes) work very well. But I agree, if you don't go auto tune, then pay a speed shop to build you a custom (or set of custom) maps.

My R1 was $250 for 3 dyno runs and 2 maps. I had a performance map, and road trip map. With the USB power commander it takes about 20 seconds to swap maps. I know that some of the plug in SuperChip setups work very well.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Some of the newer style auto tuners (at least for streetbikes) work very well. But I agree, if you don't go auto tune, then pay a speed shop to build you a custom (or set of custom) maps.
going with a handheld/auto tuner programmer is generally not a good idea with a blower setup. they dont give you the option typically to optimize the ignition for the setup tailored for a blower. Toyota does make a ECU for their blower setup. its a good starting point, but aftermarket companies typically can work more power than the Toyota can with their ECU's

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You should have bought the manual.
I have the same truck, al beit a 2007. They are rated at 260 HP. With the auto, they drive fine, but if you watch the tach, they rarely go over 3k. With the manual and smaller tires, it's hard to keep rubber on the things.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
going with a handheld/auto tuner programmer is generally not a good idea with a blower setup. they dont give you the option typically to optimize the ignition for the setup tailored for a blower. Toyota does make a ECU for their blower setup. its a good starting point, but aftermarket companies typically can work more power than the Toyota can with their ECU's
I honestly have never looked into them. I know my old neighbor was a rep for Portland Performance and showed me the Superchips setup he had in his Silverado. But that was in 2000.

I do know the auto tune setups for sportbikes still aren't as good as a custom map, but they are light years ahead of generic maps you can download based on your bolt ons.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I honestly have never looked into them. I know my old neighbor was a rep for Portland Performance and showed me the Superchips setup he had in his Silverado. But that was in 2000.

I do know the auto tune setups for sportbikes still aren't as good as a custom map, but they are light years ahead of generic maps you can download based on your bolt ons.
i wasnt saying the hand helds are bad. i have a Hypertech for my truck and it made a huge difference.
i was just saying, that for a advanced setup like Dirt is thinking, a custom map is beneficial.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i wasnt saying the hand helds are bad. i have a Hypertech for my truck and it made a huge difference.
i was just saying, that for a advanced setup like Dirt is thinking, a custom map is beneficial.
Oh, I agree. The difference in my R1 from downloaded map to custom map was night and day. I had a small dip at 4k that you never noticed unless you were cruising around 4k, but the difference in the graph after was amazing.

I was reluctant to pay the $250 (I'm a cheap bastard) but after the suspension, it was the best money I spent.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Let me tune you're junk!!!!!!

I say go for it, A friend of mine works at the Toyota dealership and has his taco set up with a charger, air, fuel, and a chip. That truck hauls ass!!

Correct my if I'm wrong but doesn't toyota offer it as an option on all there models?? From what my friend said (though he is known to make **** up even though he works for toyota) all the toyota motors are designed to work with a charger, so durability should still be cool.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Dirt. just get it. youll have a grin every time you hear that S/C whine.
Superchargers are fun. Especially root/eaton which is what the TRD uses I'm pretty sure. More low end grunt for usable power. Nice if you have a lift/bigger tires.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Correct my if I'm wrong but doesn't toyota offer it as an option on all there models?? From what my friend said (though he is known to make **** up even though he works for toyota) all the toyota motors are designed to work with a charger, so durability should still be cool.
Not all models, but that later V6 (3.2 or 3.6?) have an option. Maybe some of the Scion stuff has a TRD turbo, but the only I4 stuff Toyota made was that crap 22RET made for 1 year that blew heads in like 1986 factory.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

But I also just tend to haul ass across the desert a lot too.
Repeat after me: "There is no such thing as too much horsepower off road. There is no such thing as too much horsepower off road. There is no such thing as too much horsepower off road."

Just make sure you've got a strong drive train if you get too crazy with the stupid pedal. :D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Repeat after me: "There is no such thing as too much horsepower off road. There is no such thing as too much horsepower off road. There is no such thing as too much horsepower off road."

Just make sure you've got a strong drive train if you get too crazy with the awesome pedal. :D
fixed

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Not all models, but that later V6 (3.2 or 3.6?) have an option. Maybe some of the Scion stuff has a TRD turbo, but the only I4 stuff Toyota made was that crap 22RET made for 1 year that blew heads in like 1986 factory.
I know the scions have an option, as a former co worker was thinking about doing it to his TC, I also know a kid who was talking about doing it to a carolla (he has some dumb 200HP carolla)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know the scions have an option, as a former co worker was thinking about doing it to his TC, I also know a kid who was talking about doing it to a carolla (he has some dumb 200HP carolla)
Looks like the TRD setup is available for the 1.8L (corolla), 3.4L (Taco), 4.0L (Taco, FJ?), and the 5.7L (Tundra). Not sure I would want to put one on the wife's Corolla :rofl:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
There's one for the 4.0.
Going to order it once I get to PHX end of the month.

I'm running 33"s with a 3" lift and a lot of metal bumper work, so a little extra grunt would be nice. Though this will push me into needing the Long Travel Kit from All Pro...

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
The TRD chargers are very nice. I've been toying with the idea of getting one for my 09 but I know it'll never happen.

I know on the 3.4s the URD 7th injector kit is highly beneficial, I haven't done much research on the 4.0L and the best way to set it all up.

There is one programmer for the new tacos that I know of (Unichip) but I haven't heard of any reviews on it.

You should definitely get the all-pro LT kit, match it up with their new flairs aswell!