Quantcast

Anyone ever use Alligator rotors?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They're ghetto I know, but has anyone ever used Alligator Rotors?

I need some new rotors, spent too much money on gun parts, and these are fun designs that can leave some nice rotor burn impressions.

Any thoughts? What say you?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Is there really a difference between rotors? I've always used the rotors that came with the brakes. If these offer the same performance, that's $25-30 saved per wheel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've used them for 2.5 years on my DH bike, I haven't had any significant problems with them. Both of my rotors are slightly out of true, but I haven't tried to bend them back. At first there was some pulsing, but I don't notice it anymore. Supposedly, saint brakes are supposed to be TOO powerful, which isn't true with my saint + serration rotor setup. There is plenty of power, but it's never grabby or difficult to use like my gustavs were. I occasionally look for regular rotors to replace them, as they are old, and for whatever reason, I believe that more braking surface will give me more positive braking performance.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I had a set of the serrated versions and didn't like the "pulsing" feel that they created when used with Shimano calipers. Tired different brake pads and still had that sensation.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I use the Alligator "round" rotor and I've never had any issues. little to no "pulsing" good surface area and they have minimal cut-out so they dont eat pads in a few rides.
Plus only $10 at certain places right now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I got 2 years or so out of my saint pads...??? I'm not a mega-regular rider but I'm fat and slow so I put the hurt on my brakes. Seems like pretty good life to me.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Hey, thanks for the heads up. Got what I needed from a company I know.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Got my Maguras today and they look good.
Light. Made in Germany. Licensed by Galfer. They look just like the $50 Galfers.

Fit my new XTR brakes perfectly.