Quantcast

Anyone ever use this... GPS Dog Collar

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My dogs chew each others collars off. This would be a giant waste for me. It looks like it would be killer if you don't have super destructive dogs.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It might be something nice to have if you like to let your dog just wander around and you don't really live in a tight neighborhood like i do. If i lived in the mountains or the woods, i'd probably get something like that just so i could find the dude if he wandered a bit long one night. Other than that, i don't let my dog out of my site much. So i wouldn't have a need for one.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You'll thank yourself for the purchase the very first time the Gimp escapes from the basement. I guarantee it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Would be great for Search and Rescue dogs.
most of those dogs are pretty well trained that it wouldnt be necessary.

my dogs go crazy at any small animal, but i dont think i would want to go through the headache of trying to track them down with doggy lojack

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I guess it would be a pretty good thing to have on a new dog. My dog was really good at running out the front door when the wife and kids would walk out for something. Little bastard would run all over the hood. We couldn't catch him because he was too damn fast. You pretty much had to wait till he got bored and he'd come in by himself. It would have been nice to know where he was when we weren't trying to catch him I guess. But now he's pretty good and sticks around. But good god, he was the biggest pain in the a$$ before that.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think I might have seen somethng like this on a dog, but it was a few years ago. Dog had a collar with a box and antenna on it. It appeared to be smeared with poop so as to discourage theft or something. Dog also had tags with a number to call if you found him.

Kind of a funny story. I was backpacking in Vermont and the dog started following us. We would lose him here and there, but he basically followed us for about two days. Nice dog, but smelled RIDICULOUSLY bad. He wanted to sleep in the shelter with us. Friend of mine even dragged him out several times and eventually tied him to a tree...dog chewed through the rope and came back.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nobody ever comes looking for me. Now that I am sober I seldom have to find myself anymore. It just sits in a drawer here in my kitchen now...

Fixed4life

Chimp
Nov 8, 2009
Northeast
I know were talking dogs here and hope to never need to go this way for my pup to stay close, but you got me thinking on how this gps stuff would be great for keeping the bike monitored. say if you have a carbon or a set up freeride bike it might worth spending initially 200 for the collar and the 10-15/month monitoring fees as you can still use it on the pup

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nobody ever comes looking for me. Now that I am sober I seldom have to find myself anymore. It just sits in a drawer here in my kitchen now...
I've never needed to figure out where I am but there have been plenty of time where I wish I knew where I had been.