Quantcast

Anyone experience cracked/leaking foundation?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Dig, support, remove, pour, re-set, profit (last part doesn't apply to homeowner).

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
don't forget to install proper drainage around the footing.
And kill the chance for another contractor to take rideit's vacation money in a few years when it cracks again? Blasphemy!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
F**k all that $hit. Dig a frikkin' hole in the lowest corner and install a sump pump. :D
This. From what I've learned is that it's the water pressure that cracks the foundation, not the cracks allowing water to come up through them. Make sure the ground around your house slopes away for at least 10', and then focus on either lowering the water table (ie, sump pump) or better drainage around the foundation (ie, curtain drain).

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
There are a lot more variables than water pressure

What slump was the concrete poured at

Is it coming through a cold joint

To you have poured concrete walls or block

Is the water coming through the wall or the floor

Does water shed off the roof directly onto the ground where the water issue is

Does your domestic water service enter the basement near where the issue is

Is it a structural crack that is now allowing water in, just because you dig down to virgin ground does not mean the soils can support the intended load

Is it constant water or only when it rains

Get a pool "ph" test kit see if their is chlorine in the water could be a water main leak underground traveling along the stone the pipe is bedded in

What are the soil conditions

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am a pretty good Mason and I can build forms and all that stuff. I however would not eff with doing it myself. Hire a contractor and consult with a engineer. Do not let your uncle Joe convince you otherwise.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Don't talk like that about uncle joe!
He's a Moran. He never became a cop or fireman and doesn't own a bar or any other losing proposition that the Moran's get involved in. I am a Briggs we were smart enough to get paid in whiskey.....