Quantcast

Anyone familiar with Microsoft Access?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've been setting up a database to deal with out repair/warantee wheels. I've hit a wall on this and I need some advice. Is there a type of report or form that will print out the information from just one row of the worksheet? The report I built spits out the proper information, but for every record in the GD database.
I've checked the msft help pages and turned up nothing of assistance so far. Any help on this would be very appreciated.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I've been setting up a database to deal with out repair/warantee wheels. I've hit a wall on this and I need some advice. Is there a type of report or form that will print out the information from just one row of the worksheet? The report I built spits out the proper information, but for every record in the GD database.
I've checked the msft help pages and turned up nothing of assistance so far. Any help on this would be very appreciated.
You can make a query that will pull the specific info from the table, then have the report pull from the query, not from the table directly.

Other Access monkeys can fill in the details.
:D

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Use [] in the where/criteria section to prompt you for the 'Where' criteria each time you run the query.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That would have been my suggestion as well.
My limited Access experience was always to follow this logic.

Table has info.
Queries pull the info.
Reports make the query info nice to look at.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It seems that you can only narrow down the info by columns. I want to pull the info for a singular row at a time. What am I missing here?
That a table is a table and not an Excel worksheet.

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
w00dy,

Databases contain tables. Table are rows of information which have fields (or columns if you will).

You wish to print a report that contains one row from the table? or you want to report on one column from each row of the table? If you want just one row, you will need to find a way to uniquely identify that row. Generally speaking, that is why database designers put and identity column in each table. 'Round here we always use integer primary key values named for the table. So if we had a table that tracked w00dies its' identity column would be iW00dyID. Each entry in the table would have a unique value from 1 to the number of records in the table.

As previously stated, best bet is to create a view of the table to drive the report. Access calls these Queries. Go to the objects group of the database, and click Queries and choose Create a query using the Wizard. It will ask you the table(s) to use, the fields (columns) to select, and then present you with said data. Once you perfect the query, go back to your report and change its data source to your newly created query as opposed to the table that is most likely there now.

Once you get that far, post up your successes or failures.

Hope this helps.

Marc