Quantcast

anyone fancy a 303 for a fraction of the price?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia

pretty impressive work!!

this guy work is really good, its all a one man operation. he knows fak all about suspension tho.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
interesting idea for the upper rail - a cut down linear guiding rail + sled and lube port... these are used in milling machines for example...
those are heavy and pretty overkill in this application.

but you take what you can get or carry out of the factory :-)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i have no idea. :busted:

but from the prices of his other dh frames, which are around 470usd, not sure if they include shock.

sorry, i dont have all the info, coz i just found out about this guy and the 303 frame through a thai dh rider who cant speak english well.

i posted it coz i think its bloody awesome.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
this isnt another one of those look what we can make, but you cant have it threads is it? Can Chuang deliver?
read again, its done all by one guy. i think i should change the thread title since everyone thinks i am posting this coz i am telling to buy one.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, i will have to try and meet him over summer when i am home. he has built loads of frames, but cant be aresed to post the pics up now.

hopefully he speaks good english.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i know a few riders who know him. i'll try and get some contact info the next time they are online. he is in bangkok.

be warned, from the work i have seen him done, he can copy frames well, but he cant design them.

i have seen some of his own designs are they are pretty bad, concentric bb single pivots, floating brake arms that attach back the swingarm.

i will be going to thailand over summer for a race or two. i'll definitely have to meet this guy.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
got round to looking though my old conversations looking for the links.

yea, he made the one in the back ground. its this one:

he got the floater right this time:

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
He may not know much about suspension, but he has some manufacturing and design skills! I like the eccentric link pivots...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
he definitely knows a thing or two. the one with the floating brake arm attached to the swingarm seems to be his first version. those eccentric link pivots are probably to get the rate right, then finalized in the newer design with the dorados on it.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Damo- more like south east asia, land of copy. the amount of pirated goods you can get is insane.

indonesia actually has two of their own brands that made dh bikes, not to bad ones too. they are basically cut and paste copies of a few bikes from a taiwan factory.

Maybe we could see some you've made?
'what bikes have you engineered/designed/built lately?' :rofl:

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I wonder how heavy that rip off is. Because he only uses round tubing probably without butting?
did he buy a 303 or did he copy it from photo's?
he is skilled with machines but not to smart. that error with the floating brake is hilarious. After he realized that he has mounted it to the upper damper mount but that isn't necesary the best point to mount it.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i would like to know more about the tubing he uses too. his first dh bike with the errors looks really heavy, bits of swingarm look like it came of a motor bike.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Maybe we could see some you've made?
I don't have a need to go around showing all my stuff on the internet trying to get some kind of self gratification. I'll keep them to myself. I spend most of my time designing satellites and riding; I wish I had more time to design and build bikes. The guy is definitely a skilled craftsmen, but come on. A bike is a bike. They're cheap and not that complicated. Complication comes from getting the Taiwanese people to understand what the heck you're talking about when the rear ends of the frames keep coming out crooked.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I don't have a need to go around showing all my stuff on the internet trying to get some kind of self gratification. I'll keep them to myself. I spend most of my time designing satellites and riding; I wish I had more time to design and build bikes. The guy is definitely a skilled craftsmen, but come on. A bike is a bike. They're cheap and not that complicated. Complication comes from getting the Taiwanese people to understand what the heck you're talking about when the rear ends of the frames keep coming out crooked.
douchebaggery :plthumbsdown:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
  1. I don't have a need to go around showing all my stuff on the internet trying to get some kind of self gratification.
  2. I'll keep them to myself.
  3. I spend most of my time designing satellites and riding; I wish I had more time to design and build bikes.
  4. A bike is a bike. They're cheap and not that complicated.
  5. Complication comes from getting the Taiwanese people to understand what the heck you're talking about when the rear ends of the frames keep coming out crooked.
  1. I don't believe the guy who builds the bike is the one posting up, so I see no evidence of him on the interenet trying to get some self gratification.
  2. You did a fine job of keeping it to yourself by telling everyone here on the internet about it.
  3. Wow, aren't you important. Is posting this up part of your master plan to keep your self gratification quietly to yourself and not go around showing off on the internet?
  4. That would explain the giant wads of cash the manufacturers roll around in at night from charging the consumer thousands of dollars for a good DH rig.
  5. So the people in the factories that do this for a living on a daily basis have troubles getting it done right. Maybe it is a complicated.

"doucebaggery" was just so much easier to type.

Mar 6, 2008
be warned, from the work i have seen him done, he can copy frames well, but he cant design them.
Good warning! ;)

My guess is it's a copy from the first-gen 303 proto and pictures released on the web. Have a look behind the seat tube, I'm not sure I can see what should be there...

The early 303, still shown in some pictures and ads here in the UK, had no swing link connecting the swingarm to the front triangle. As soon as there is any play or wobble in the bearings, side load would tend to lock the sliders (like a sticky kitchen drawer).

YETI added the swing-link but it looks like this guy may have missed it out - I can't make it out on those pics. If so, not good!