Quantcast

Anyone from or been to ALBUQUERQUE, NM?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
NineFingers said:
Just curious how far off the mountains are to go ride the bike and board? I might have a job opportunity there, and I'm wondering what it's like? Crime, rent, and of course, how far it is to good riding.

I found this: http://www.sandiapeak.com/ which seems to be just outside of town??? If so, looks like a good place to live!?
I'm from Santa Fe, an hour up the road and spent a lot of time in ABQ. PM me and I'll answer anything you want to know and I can put you in touch with some local riders. The short answer is that NM is an outdoor playground and you can do pretty much anything without much travel. Rent is pretty cheap in ABQ and crime is fine as long as you stay out of the west side. Sandia Ski Area often doesn't get enough snow but there are places within a couple hours that get enough. I go back pretty frequently and always wish I could stay whenever I go.

Do a search since I've already commented a bit on NM on RM, and send me a PM for details...

Barbaton said:
I'm from Santa Fe, an hour up the road and spent a lot of time in ABQ. PM me and I'll answer anything you want to know and I can put you in touch with some local riders. The short answer is that NM is an outdoor playground and you can do pretty much anything without much travel. Rent is pretty cheap in ABQ and crime is fine as long as you stay out of the west side. Sandia Ski Area often doesn't get enough snow but there are places within a couple hours that get enough. I go back pretty frequently and always wish I could stay whenever I go.

Do a search since I've already commented a bit on NM on RM, and send me a PM for details...
If all it takes is an hour to get to Sante Fe, and the riding is good for boarding and bikes, I'm down! It's a job at the AF base, so my pay would probably go farther in NM than elsewhere. I'm not really looking for a place to make a crap load of cash, I'm looking for an outdoor haven that has lots to do. As long as I can survive and keep moving up on base, and the area offers some great spots to ride, the people are friendly, etc etc, I'm down.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
NineFingers said:
If all it takes is an hour to get to Sante Fe, and the riding is good for boarding and bikes, I'm down! It's a job at the AF base, so my pay would probably go farther in NM than elsewhere. I'm not really looking for a place to make a crap load of cash, I'm looking for an outdoor haven that has lots to do. As long as I can survive and keep moving up on base, and the area offers some great spots to ride, the people are friendly, etc etc, I'm down.
Well, especially since your profile says you're stuck in Ohio, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Is the job actually for the Air Force on Kirtland or is it for Sandia or Phillips Labs?

Pau11y's comment that it is a poor state is true, but that stat is a factor of the way the community is spread out. It's a low population state that's almost the size of France, so most of the state has not many people and not much money. As you get to the population centers, though, we have some very wealthy parts of the state too, but they get washed out in the average. Abq's a pretty standard city, Santa Fe's the "adobe theme park up the road" and Taos is nice if you dig art.

There's a lot of good riding in the area. Personally my favorite trail is still the Windsor trail from the Santa Fe Ski Area down to the Bishop's Lodge. It's 6000ft vert, mostly single track, over about 12 miles, downhill. I believe that Sandia runs lift service in the summer and you can take the tramway from the Abq side to the top of the mountain so you don't have to drive around to the other side. Also lots of good XC in the foothills as well. There's a lot going on biking-wise at Angel Fire (they had some major championship there this year that someone else can give you more info on) nowadays too, but I haven't ridden there myself...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
there is an elementary school in Albquerque, about a mile or 2 off old Rt 66 that i swear to god was meant to be a short little DS course.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
NineFingers said:
What's the weather like? People? etc.?
Leapfrogging posts, love it...

My personal opinion is that the weather in Santa Fe is about as ideal is it gets in this country. We have all four seasons, but not too much of anything. It's hot in the summer, but rarely above 100, and it's completely dry, so it doesn't feel hot. We had the AC ripped out of my house after 10 years of not using it. In the winter it snows quite a bit, but in the town at 7000 ft it melts off fast (high desert usually has a temp swing of about 30deg between night and day), but up at the ski area at 12k feet it stays cold enough to make good skiing. And if there isn't enough snow early in the year, it's a pretty quick drive to Wolf Creek, CO where they get the most snow in Colorado. Albuquerque's a little warmer and a little dryer since it's 2000 ft lower than Santa Fe (about 5000). Everyone thinks NM must be super deserty with giant cactuses and things but it's very high, so it's not as deserty as people think. I have big trees all around my house. Some people take a while to get used to the altitude, and you should definitely take the time to get acclimitized before you try a 6000ft climb on the bike. Oh, and in late July, until about the 3rd week in Aug, it rains every day from 3 to 3:30. :)

I like the people too. Everyone's super friendly if not the most efficient. It always takes me a day to adjust from rude, grumpy, east coast efficiency to nice, slow, new mexican casual. It's a really multicultural place and the interactions of all the cultures is fun to be a part of. Definitely try to catch the Fiesta holiday and Indian Market in Santa Fe if you're there in August. Damn, now you're making me want to do another visit.

Barbaton said:
Well, especially since your profile says you're stuck in Ohio, I'd say it's a no-brainer.
Well I'm here right now, but I just went through a divorce, was living in Tacoma, WA near Seattle. I was spoiled there, lots of NS stuff, whistler, house, etc. Now I'm in the spare bedroom at mom's looking for a job and asking myself why I'm here in OH...I guess for the family support. I grew up a bit here, but alot out west(MT, CA, and WA). So everytime I come to OH I get the depressed blues and start looking for a way back out west again. I've traveled all over the country, and lived in alot of areas but never been to NM. I've heard about the powder days in Durango, and in Taos, but that's a good 3 hours +. Wasn't sure what ABQ entailed, I thought it would be mostly desert? But I found some pics online and it looks promising. I've been applying for jobs with the federal govt. as a civilian in support of military bases, forest service, and other govt agencies. There's a few opportunities there in ABQ at the base for what I did while I was in the Navy so I'm considering them. I miss the sun, washington was depressing, good riding, friendly people for the most part, but depressing. Ohio is cold as sh!t right now...and there's not much to go down, a fair share of xc, but that's not my thing since whistler was introduced...weekendly. Anyhow, just curious if I could be happy in ABQ, it doesn't take much for me, can't buy a house so I'd be renting, and the job would be there, so all that's left on my checklist would be outdoor activities within an hour or so, and hopefully friendlier people than here in OH...

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Well if you do move down there, let me know. I still keep in touch with riders there who can show you more of the Abq stuff, since I never really needed to go that far for my fun. :D

hey thanks alot for the info!!! Hopefully I get a few bites on my application I just sent, with any luck I'll be there late march, gotta get out OH, like you said, the grumpy rude people are getting to me and its only been 3 weeks now...not to mention the worthless winter. If you don't have mtn.'s to play in, winter cold is worthless. It's colder here than it ever was in MT, must be that lake effect wetness...brrrrrr...... BTW, rays mtn. bike park is pretty tight though, can check that off my list of stuff ridden.

http://www.raysmtb.com/

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I grew up in Alb and my family is there and so I visit often.

Rent in Alb is somewhat more spendy than you'd think it would be though. Home prices are high in the 'good' areas. Places to avoid are not the 'westside' BUT the South Valley. The West Mesa north of I40 all the way to Rio Rancho is nice, mostly reasonably priced new construction and growing (thanks to Intel).

I looked some property in the NE Heights and was shocked to learn it was running $500,000 per lot (although it was as high up on the Sandia foothills as you can get). You can get much cheaper housing if you consider living in Moriarity (to the east on I-40) or south of Alb past the Isleta Indian Pueblo (like Peralta/Bosque Farms/Los Lunas/Belen) all of which are within an easy 30-40 min commute.

There is a MTB trail owned by the City in the NE Heights foothills and the whole city is pretty much accessible for bike riders with lots of bike lanes and paths and the city buses have bike racks on them etc...

Kirkland AFB is a large facility but a lot of the functions have been privatized to contractors. However, there is a lot of governmental jobs in the area (BLM, Army Corps, DoE, etc...).

I plan on moving back to NM (probably the Taos area - I HATE SFe) in the next 5-6 years.

If you need more info ask away!

-N8

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
N8 said:
I grew up in Alb and my family is there and so I visit often.

Rent in Alb is somewhat more spendy than you'd think it would be though. Home prices are high in the 'good' areas. Places to avoid are not the 'westside' BUT the South Valley. The West Mesa north of I40 all the way to Rio Rancho is nice, mostly reasonably priced new construction and growing (thanks to Intel).
-N8
I was trying to refer to that lovely area just west of the river, but didn't want to include Rio Rancho, etc, but couldn't remember what it's called. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

As for real estate, Abq has always seemed quite reasonable to me, even in the NE Heights but I'm used to Santa Fe, San Francisco, and Cambridge MA, where I just looked at a 1700sq. ft condo for $800K. :nuts: I'm jealous of a friend in ABQ who just bought a house (and the land/yard it's on) just south of Central by UNM for $90K...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Barbaton said:
I was trying to refer to that lovely area just west of the river, but didn't want to include Rio Rancho, etc, but couldn't remember what it's called. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

As for real estate, Abq has always seemed quite reasonable to me, even in the NE Heights but I'm used to Santa Fe, San Francisco, and Cambridge MA, where I just looked at a 1700sq. ft condo for $800K. :nuts: I'm jealous of a friend in ABQ who just bought a house (and the land/yard it's on) just south of Central by UNM for $90K...

Heeh... property prices are always a relative term...

It is nice to see that area of the city where your friend bought start to clean up some. For decades the area south of Central (Route 66) and UNM was a crime ridden student slum but in the 1990's the zoning changed and what were rental properties became residences. You can pick up a nice 1940's vintage adobe home in the area for a reasonable price if you are willing to do some work to it. A huge advantage of living in that area around UNM is that the Frontier Resturant is right there! :dancing:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I drove through there last year on the way to Old Pueblo. Seemed like a totally bacwards ass town. Smoking in restaurants, poor people everywhere, nothing really nice at all that I can remember. Even if the riding was great I don't think I would want to live there.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
I drove through there last year on the way to Old Pueblo. Seemed like a totally bacwards ass town. Smoking in restaurants, poor people everywhere, nothing really nice at all that I can remember. Even if the riding was great I don't think I would want to live there.

NM SUCKS! New Yorkers and Texans Stay Away!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Barbaton said:
There's a lot of good riding in the area. Personally my favorite trail is still the Windsor trail from the Santa Fe Ski Area down to the Bishop's Lodge. It's 6000ft vert, mostly single track, over about 12 miles, downhill.
agreed, the windsor trail rules. 6K vert sounds high though. i know it was a tough climb, but i seem to recall more in the 3K vicinity.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
narlus said:
agreed, the windsor trail rules. 6K vert sounds high though. i know it was a tough climb, but i seem to recall more in the 3K vicinity.
Well, I was also including the vert from the top of the peak at the TV towers (~12500) to the SF ski area parking lot (~10000) where the Windsor starts. We used to ride 2500ft up the Aspen Vista access road, ride the ski area, then the Windsor to Bishop's Lodge, then sit in the Lodge's hot tub cuz one of my bud's family used to own it. :)

So yeah, I added distance for effect and left out the details, but it's pretty close to accurate. :)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
My sister & family have lived in ABQ for the last 20 years. They love it there. I've never done any single track there though. There are bike trails all over the city and I've ridden some of them. The climbing up in the Sandias is nice if you like Rock Climbing. Hopefully, I can hook up with someone and do some single track around the area next time I'm down there! :D (Second weekend of May.....anyone?)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Barbaton said:
Well, I was also including the vert from the top of the peak at the TV towers (~12500) to the SF ski area parking lot (~10000) where the Windsor starts. We used to ride 2500ft up the Aspen Vista access road, ride the ski area, then the Windsor to Bishop's Lodge, then sit in the Lodge's hot tub cuz one of my bud's family used to own it. :)

So yeah, I added distance for effect and left out the details, but it's pretty close to accurate. :)
i forgot about the TV tower area, we didn't get up there. we started at the trail section where you do all the stream crossings, and ended at the lookout area (and did that short loop through the grassy aspen glade). then turned around and bombed down stuff we climbed. epic.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Morryjg said:
That looks AWESOME! Might have to convince the family to stop in Santa Fe for the day next time we are down there. :evil: Is Windsor like the typical high country trail in CO which is covered in snow until late June?

Typically most of the snow is gone by mid May... not sure about that area though.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Echo said:
Seemed like a totally bacwards ass town. Smoking in restaurants, poor people everywhere, nothing really nice at all that I can remember.
W/the exception of smoking bans making it out to the sticks over the last few years, this description sounds like more than half the towns I've been in, anywhere, anytime (can only vouch for the 31 states I've been to).

Been to Alberquacky, but it's been about 20yrs. Nothing stands out ;)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Fathead said:
W/the exception of smoking bans making it out to the sticks over the last few years, this description sounds like more than half the towns I've been in, anywhere, anytime (can only vouch for the 31 states I've been to).

Been to Alberquacky, but it's been about 20yrs. Nothing stands out ;)

The damn do-gooder libs have imposed their beliefs on the rest of the city by instituting a no-smoking ban in recent years. They also have a no-burning-your-fireplace ban, a no-watering-your-lawn-ban and a no-washing-your-car ban as well...

Over regulated NorEast'ers should feel right at home.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
N8 said:
The damn do-gooder libs have imposed their beliefs on the rest of the city by instituting a no-smoking ban in recent years. They also have a no-burning-your-fireplace ban, a no-watering-your-lawn-ban and a no-washing-your-car ban as well...

Over regulated NorEast'ers should feel right at home.
"This heavy-handed government regulation has gone too far. It's gettin' to where I can't even walk out in my own damn front yard and take a piss anymore." - a former TX City Manager who should go unnamed.