Quantcast

Anyone get their vehicle's oil changed lately?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The cost is up nearly 30%!

I have never fallen for the oil change business's "3000 mile oil change" mantra instead opting for the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/586/the-3000-mile-oil-change-myth/;_ylc=X3oDMTE0cnVqb3Q4BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawMzMDAwLW9pbA--

It’s been a misconception for years that engine oil should be changed every 3000 miles, even though most auto manufacturers now recommend oil changes at 5,000, 7,000, or even 10,000 mile intervals under normal driving conditions.

Greatly improved oils, including synthetic oils, coupled with better engines mean longer spans between oil changes without harming an engine. The 3000 mile interval is a carryover from days when engines used single-grade, non-detergent oils.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I forced all my regular customers to switch to synthetics. It took a bit of coaxing to get them to pay the extra $$ but I show them that my personal car runs on synthetic motor oil and I push it to 10,000 miles per service and save money in the long run. Haven't had any problems at all. I just remind them that even though they can go 10k between oil changes, they still have to check their oil at least every month.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Thats why I do it myself. Its one of the easiest things you can do to a car, of course thats if you can get it in the air. Mobil One oil has been on sale all month at advance auto. Buy their 10000 mile formula and you basically only have to change it once a year. $30 bucks well spent.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thats why I do it myself. Its one of the easiest things you can do to a car, of course thats if you can get it in the air. Mobil One oil has been on sale all month at advance auto. Buy their 10000 mile formula and you basically only have to change it once a year. $30 bucks well spent.
I hate getting rid of the oil though.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yeah i bought an oil collection pan. Im pretty sure its state law in VA and MD that if you take oil to a service station they have to take it from you so its no biggie. I know what you mean though I think i have a couple 5 qt jugs full of used oil that ive been meaning to take somewhere but keep forgetting.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah i bought an oil collection pan. Im pretty sure its state law in VA and MD that if you take oil to a service station they have to take it from you so its no biggie. I know what you mean though I think i have a couple 5 qt jugs full of used oil that ive been meaning to take somewhere but keep forgetting.
It's bad enough trying to return my bottles and cans let alone messy oil. I always like changing my oil but anymore I just don't have the time it feels like.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I change my own. I stock up on oil and filters when it's on sale.

I store the old oil in a 5 gal bucket and dump it at the local collection station.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It's bad enough trying to return my bottles and cans let alone messy oil. I always like changing my oil but anymore I just don't have the time it feels like.
Haven't you heard of storm drains?

:biggrin:

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You guys must have teh suck for recycling. I toss all my bottles and cans in with my other recyclables in the can and my oil goes into the old oil cans and gets picked up at the curb.

The city went to mixed bins about a year ago and it's been great. Only oil and glass go separate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You guys must have teh suck for recycling. I toss all my bottles and cans in with my other recyclables in the can and my oil goes into the old oil cans and gets picked up at the curb.

The city went to mixed bins about a year ago and it's been great. Only oil and glass go separate.

Stosh gets money for his empties. The wealthy can't be bothered I guess.
:monkey:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Stosh gets money for his empties. The wealthy can't be bothered I guess.
:monkey:
It's $.05 a can/bottle here, but I got sick of storing them until it was worth it. Plus I don't like to put crap in my wifes car. Hauling a bag a beer bottles on the motorcycle would be funny if it were someone else.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It's $.05 a can/bottle here, but I got sick of storing them until it was worth it. Plus I don't like to put crap in my wifes car. Hauling a bag a beer bottles on the motorcycle would be funny if it were someone else.
I just feel if you don't return the bottles it's one more way the Government taxes you. When you don't return them you just bend over even further for the Gov.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I just feel if you don't return the bottles it's one more way the Government taxes you. When you don't return them you just bend over even further for the Gov.
I hate competing for space at the machines with bums, I don't return them either

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I found an OLD coupon the other day for a $10.99 oil change. No expiration date on it, so only a bit of discussion before they caved in and gave me the oil change for that - freakin sweet. I can't even do it myself for that cheap!

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I forced all my regular customers to switch to synthetics. It took a bit of coaxing to get them to pay the extra $$ but I show them that my personal car runs on synthetic motor oil and I push it to 10,000 miles per service and save money in the long run. Haven't had any problems at all. I just remind them that even though they can go 10k between oil changes, they still have to check their oil at least every month.
I started running Synthetic in my '06 GMC at around 9000 miles. I was going 3000 on a change before that.
I was told by the oil change place I could now go 6000 miles but the first two I did at around 5000 to be safe.
On the third change my "Change Oil" light came on at about 4500 miles.
What I have read and been told is if your vehicle has a built in oil moniter(?), and mine does, to go by that.
I have never had it come on between changes until the last change. And like I said before it was only 4500 and WITH synthetic.
What gives?
PS, I do have them reset the oil change light after every change.

I do drive my truck sort of hard. It has some power and I like to enjoy it.
But never off road (dirt). Traffic for me on a regualr basis is like slowing down to 35mph on the freeway for about 500 yards only on the way home.
Maybe some bumper-to-bumper, stop and go on an occasion but not regularly.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Mileage, engine heat and other data are what is used to determine when the light goes on, not actual oil condition.

I started running Synthetic in my '06 GMC at around 9000 miles. I was going 3000 on a change before that.
I was told by the oil change place I could now go 6000 miles but the first two I did at around 5000 to be safe.
What I have read and been told is if your vehicle has a built in oil moniter(?), and mine does, to go by that.
I have never had it come on between changes until the last change. And like I said before it was only 4500 and WITH synthetic.
What gives?

I do drive my truck sort of hard. It has some power and I like to enjoy it.
But never off road (dirt). Traffic for me on a regualr basis is like slowing down to 35mph on the freeway for about 500 yards only on the way home.
Maybe some bumper-to-bumper, stop and go on an occasion but not regularly.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Anybody ever use one of these? Does it work just as well as draining? I'd like to change my own oil, but don't have any lifts and don't feel like crawling around on the ground.

http://www.drivingcomfort.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=3411&sc=6478

I've got one of those jobs. It works really well IF you have an accessible oil filter. In my 325 it sits right on top of the engine so its easy to change. My rodeo you had to get under the car and remove a panel to get to it.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
What gives?
It's an automatic indicator that trips every 4500 miles regardless of how dirty or worn out your oil is.

:clapping:

I bought a new Civic in 92, put 114,000 miles on it without ever changing the oil. Ran like new in 98 when I sold it.

Just sayin'.
You are a used car buyer's worst nightmare.
Me thinks his car leaked or consumed about a quart a month. By virtue that he had to keep adding oil on regular basis, he prolly thought he didn't need to change it as it was in a perpetual state of 50% clean.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Me thinks his car leaked or consumed about a quart a month. By virtue that he had to keep adding oil on regular basis, he prolly thought he didn't need to change it as it was in a perpetual state of 50% clean.
The oil filter eventually gets so dirty that it fails and dumps everything it has collected back into the motor. Owie.

I've heard some commercial trucks use a reverse osmosis system to remove broken down oil. All you got to do is change the filter and top em up.