Quantcast

Anyone gone through a Temp agency for work?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well I've been looking for work now for months and I've come to my wits ends. So I figured I'd start looking in the local temp agency's for jobs that are temp to hire or direct hires.

I was just curious if anyone's used these services before and had good/bad luck with them? I don't know what kind of job I want to do because the last few I tried wern't for me and it gets old getting hired for a job and finding out after a couple days it really won't work. These are jobs though that didn't seem out of my realm but really were.

Just curious......if I don't get a job soon the bike fleet will start disappearing :(

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I did the temp agency work for one job. I got it through one of the temp agencies in SLO....SLO Personnel maybe?

I sent them my resume, spoke with them over the phone, and had me go in for an "assessment test." I wanted an accounting-related job, so they tested me for basic accounting skills (cpu, 10 key, typing, etc.). I got lucky in that they had a job for me within a week. I wasn't lucky in the fact that the Tribune treated its employees like crap. I only spent about a month and a half there before I left.

All-in-all, my experience was more positive than negative. I have been told though, that if you screw up your first job, your "agent" won't work as hard to find you subsequent jobs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sure, I've been through two temp agencies.

Don't expect much out of the work but if you can type you can usually get something decent doing data entry. Those kind of jobs can often lead to other positions on the company.

For me, both of my temp jobs have turned into good full-time positions.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Spunger said:
Well I've been looking for work now for months and I've come to my wits ends. So I figured I'd start looking in the local temp agency's for jobs that are temp to hire or direct hires.

I was just curious if anyone's used these services before and had good/bad luck with them? I don't know what kind of job I want to do because the last few I tried wern't for me and it gets old getting hired for a job and finding out after a couple days it really won't work. These are jobs though that didn't seem out of my realm but really were.

Just curious......if I don't get a job soon the bike fleet will start disappearing :(
I’ve never actually worked for a temp agency. However, when I was an employment supervisor I used several temp agencies to fill some of my temporary hiring needs. If you’re having some trouble finding work, a temp agency should be able to help you get back on your feet. Although, it can be kind of inconsistent work (depending on the temp agency you are working with). Some agencies have accounts with big companies where the possibility of continued work is pretty good. On the other hand, some agencies will have you bouncing around from job to job.

Have you tried your local EDD or college career center? Sometimes they can be a big help in finding work. When I worked in employment, I would visit those places weekly looking for applicants, and there were always other representatives from different companies doing the same thing.

As for selling some of your bikes...that's just crazy talk. :nope:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My husband and I both worked for "temp" agencies. We both got long-term assignments (mine was a year before I quit and his was over a year until his department at GE was done away with). We had good luck with them. Just be specific as to what you are willing to do and how much money you want upfront and you'll be fine!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
In my industry it's called "contracting" because temp sounds bad I guess. I have worked a lot of contracts, some are open ended, some are 3-6 months. Most lead to either an extention or a job.

I only deal with certain companies, but my experience lets me be picky. My last contract had full medical, dental, vacation, 401k, and unlimited overtime if I wanted it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and be specific about the type of work you're looking for as soon as you walk in the door. Some temp agencies only deal with specific types of labor (e.g. accounting, construction, customer service, etc.), so there's no point in getting through the application process only for them to let you know at your interview that they only deal with construction sites.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
You can generally pick and choose by seeing which company(ies) the temp agency deals with. For instance, if they have a contract to supply Microsoft with contingent staff vs. KFC.
You didn't mention what your field is or any of your skills so it's hard to give good advice. In my field, I just got blank stares from temp agencies when I told them what I was looking for so I started my own company and I am essentially my own temp agency.
It's great.
Other than that, your best friend is the phone. Call friends that work at places you want to work. Go thru the yellow pages and find the thing you want to do and call all the places that do what you want to do to see if they are hiring. Pour over all the classifieds. A lot of people say this is futile but I found a great opportunity there once and was hired.
Most importantly, get out and ride once in a while. No job and the prospect of selling all your crap to get by can bring you down. If you don't get out and recreate you'll go insane.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
My office is across the hall from a temp. agency. There's a guy who always leaves the place and picks up cigarette butts off the sidewalk and re-smokes them.

Aside from the other weirdos, though, you can get some decent jobs. I did this summers through college and made decent money. Good luck.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I just applied for a job through a temp agency, got past the first interview only to wait on the outcome of a budget meeting that they decided they couldn't afford to bring on a second technician. So that sucked.
I even more recently applied to a job through a different temp agency that I have an in with the end company, which is for FT w/ benefits, etc... and I think that will pan out much better. Who knows though, the last one seemed like I was in, too.