Quantcast

Anyone gonna be up in Whistler this weekend?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Gonna be up there Sat/Sun.

Theres 3 of us on Sat. Me: Evil Undead, Dennis: Kona Stab and David whatever he rides. Then group grows on Sunday to include a One Ghost Musashi, and 2 Ironhorse Sundays.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Probably around on sunday for some lazy runs, on a red sunday with fox gear

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
So did anyone see the ambulance at around 1pm? That was me. Came in too hot to the step down after the container on freight train and before the bridge. Stuffed myself into the bars and went over the cliff down into no duff below. Dislocated knee, fracture tibia, completely severed my acl, mcl and lcl ligaments.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I tried my best to grab onto the first bridge support but I was moving so fast my momentum literally ripped it out of my arms. My bike was wedged between the tree and bridge when my friend Dennis got to it.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Thats a fair way to rag doll, and that "step down" is a bit ridiculous, requires a serious brake check and so does the bridge after.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I'm just amazed it didn't require a life flight out because if you look down from the berm to no duff that's not a smooth line. I gotta hand it to the whistler bike park staff though. Top notch, fast and really awesome group the got.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So did anyone see the ambulance at around 1pm? That was me. Came in too hot to the step down after the container on freight train and before the bridge. Stuffed myself into the bars and went over the cliff down into no duff below. Dislocated knee, fracture tibia, completely severed my acl, mcl and lcl ligaments.
Oh man! When you crash,you don't mess around... I was down the mountain a little further around then. I had just hit that move on the way down. "Healing vibes" as they say...

I still having a hard time figuring out where you crashed... Are we talking about hopping off the container? Or that stepdown about 3 jumps AFTER hopping back off the container? (where you then cross a wooden bridge, which has a big air-able ramp down)

If you "missed" that bridge, eesh...

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ouch man, sorry to hear that. Good luck with the road to recovery!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Sorry, thought I posted it here on the other page. Percocets.

In this photo, I went between the bridge and the tree on the right.

..and in this photo it's looking at the bridge from below. I landed in the bottom on the other side of the bridge.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
damn dude. If you need anything hollar. You will be up and running in 2 more weeks right? ...........

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
They really need to do something with that. Maybe move that lip waaaaay back. That thing almost got me a couple times too.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They really need to do something with that. Maybe move that lip waaaaay back. That thing almost got me a couple times too.
They built an optional lip further back last year, only to decommision it a few weeks later. It was lethal. You had to HAUL into it out of the left-hander. If you clipped the lip of the backside, you were getting pitched headfirst down the drop onto the hardpack at full speed. I'd be all for a possible improvement but, in this case, simply extending the jump is not the answer.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah, like I said they were probably the most professional, cautious and attentive group I've ever had to use. Netting in that berm would help to save someone else from doing the same James Bond stunt I pulled.
bond would have rolled out of that with a bond girl on his arm......

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
While I sympathize with your injury - indeed I have only recently recovered from one myself - I do not share your opinion regarding netting in this particular location.

There are hundreds of places on Whistler where netting could conceivably save a life.

I realize that you were seriously injured in this particular spot, but it seems that recreational trails don't require extensive netting - save for the exposed spots of beginner runs. Expert and intermediate runs are inherently dangerous.

If that spot is so dangerous, and requires netting, what should Whistler do with the Boneyard, In Deep, and Tech Noire? The Container Jump could use some netting too - and some padding, and maybe a foam pit in case someone comes up short.

Medics and ambulances are busy on this mountain every single day. The vast majority of injuries for which I have personally called in the medics (and that is many - two in the last two days alone) involve perfectly average little jumps. It doesn't take a special feature to cause a broken collarbone or spinal injury. If Whistler - or any other mountain - were to alter trails based upon every single serious injury, we'd never be allowed on our bikes. Not even in the parking lot.

Of course, bike parks can not be negligent when designing and operating their parks. Note the sparsity of true North Shore skinnies within the Park. Note that the vast majority of jump features are table tops of some kind. Note that most highly exposed bridges have wires or railings which riders can grab onto. Most importantly, note that virtually all features are signed and made highly visible to the rider beforehand.

It seems that Whistler has done an excellent job of striking the happy medium between safety and recreation. And while every system can be improved upon, it doesn't seem that this particular spot is in dire need of netting.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Im not suggesting altering the jump, If I had remembered the trail better I would have scrubbed a bit of speed before the jump. Im not blaming whistler in the slightest for what happened to me. However having some of the spots with serious exposure netted on the sides wouldnt cost much to add in nor would it impact the trail.

They can't control who rides what, and I wouldn't expect them too. Im comfortable on 99% of their trails and about 99% of the jumps. I simply put myself into too fast of a situation and paid the price for it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Totally sucks... Was the guy who scraped you off the trail a bald Brit named Ross? If so, he's the dude I did a few laps with today. He was also the first aider on my Costa Rica trip. He knows what he's doing... I imagine he would have been one of many dealing with your sh!tshow though...haha.

Anyway, I imagine you're still in Van at the moment? I hope the nurses are being kind...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
There was a dude wit ha shaved head, another blonde haired but and a blonde woman. They all got right down to business.

We drove home after leaving the emergency room. just laying around back home in Oregon, popping percs and sleeping upright.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
There was a dude wit ha shaved head, another blonde haired but and a blonde woman. They all got right down to business.

We drove home after leaving the emergency room. just laying around back home in Oregon, popping percs and sleeping upright.
You should have said "Cacao" to that crash...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
That is me, just re-listed it with new pics.

Well I had a scary turn of events. The bruising on my thigh and inner knee turned into a hematoma which in-turn became infected. 99.8º fever this am, and severe pain/swelling/firmness in inner knee. Was giving an aggressive antibiotic and more pain pills. Then told by doc if the fever doesn't drop and swelling start to recede to go to the ER for a IV antibiotic and potentially draining the hematoma/abscess.

fuuuuuck.

Last edited: