Quantcast

Anyone got a Kryponite Lock?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Of course you need proof of purchase, how do they know you didn't pick it with a bic pen just to bring it in for a refund.

Check The Lounge for other threads about this.

Zilla

Chimp
Aug 20, 2004
Dreaming
I would imagine that most people do not have Proof of Purchase to get a refund. I think the requirement is ultimately to avoid a costly responsibility. If you have the damn lock, they should at the very least provide either a free fix, or otherwise a substantial discount on a new one. I'll be purchasing a different brand. Its still a bunch of BS in my humble opinion!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
whale said:
:confused: because you have the keys for it? ;)
Bingo.

I've moved at least 8 times since I bought my Kryp back in 1997. I don't think the reciept is still around... fukkers...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
whale said:
:confused: because you have the keys for it? ;)
Sure, drive a truck through the holes in my thinking... :p

I tried the Bic trick on mine and found the pen to be too large a diameter for the key hole. It's a late-90s vintage.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Zilla said:
Duhhhhh - my point exactly - corporate America evading responsibility....
maybe we should start a collection of bic pens and send them to krypt then? :nuts:

anyone want to buy my krypt lock? it comes with a set of real keys and a bic pen valet key. ;)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Last I heard, this was the response from Krypto. Anyone heard anything more recent?

In light of recent demonstrations on the Internet that explain how to criminally defeat tubular lock technology, which has performed successfully for more than three decades, Kryptonite intends to expedite the introduction of its upgraded Evolution and KryptoLock lines. The products will have the disc-style cylinder that has the same technology as the company's famous New York Lock.

Specificallly, Kryptonite will provide the owners of Evolution and KryptoLok series products the ability to upgrade their crossbars to the new disc-style cylinder, where possible. This cylinder provides greatly enhanced security and performance.

Kryptonite is finalizing the details of this upgrade process and will publicly communicate these details as soon as possible.

Deb Dow
Kryptonite Customer Service
437 Turnpike St
Canton, MA 02021
781-828-6655 x258
781-821-0780 fax#

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
i picked my kryptonite and dunno how to turn it back so the key works so oh well ill see if they take it i registered the keys so that should be fine.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Turn the lock back with the pen, and the key will work again. Or, file the little nub thing off the key...

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
my cylinder seems bigger then the bic pen... maybe im using the wrong pen, or maybe my lock is one of the lucky ones

-Mike T.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
no thats how it works take the pen and smash it to the floor and it will wrap around and it holds it tight.

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
mike was in hudson trail outfitters today and he said that they will take your lock, with no reciept, and give you store credit for it!

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
mobius said:
no thats how it works take the pen and smash it to the floor and it will wrap around and it holds it tight.

i c, i'll have to try that haha...

I ordered a Masterlock Tuff links lock, looks ok, and good price

-Mike T.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
City Bikes is also taking tubular keyed U-locks (it's not just Kryptonite that has the problem) for partial or full credit, depending on if you bought it there.