Quantcast

Anyone got any RIDE TIME on an 06 Boxxer?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
After first-hand experiences only please; if you've ridden one, what are your thoughts as compared to the previous models? I'm considering an 06 Boxxer Team as they seem to satisfy everything I want in a fork (light, low, stiff, all-external adjustments) on paper, just curious as to how they actually perform. Smoother than the current ones? More linear/progressive?

Also, what's the deal with progression adjustment on them? Do you just add oil like the older ones?

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
They ride great- much better than the old ones. The compression and rebound range seems a lot wider, and the forks generally feel a lot more progressive even with the floodgate thing wide open. My only gripe is that the Teams may be the best on paper, but in practice they're pretty useless. There is no reason to by teams when a world cup is only marginally more.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
"when a world cup is only marginally more"

huh??????????

last time i checked, the world cup is close to twice the price of the team.

the team should retail for 800ish while the world cup will probably sell for about 1400

its not only the air spring though, the wc has different stanchions, someone probably from rs posted here not long ago that the stanchions are made in the us and honed on the inside so that the surface doesnt eat the orings the air system relies on. that alone would probably bump up the price around 200 usd, at least judging from the price difference between the old made in the usa stanchions and the current price of the taiwan stanchions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fury said:
Did you sell off your old SUnday frame Luc?

He's the new QC guy for iron horse. They send him 50 frames at a time and he tests out consistency between them as well as the effectiveness of different build configurations.......and which colors make the ladies go "ooh ahh, pretty horsie".

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I rode one very briefly at Ft Bill - felt like a coil sprung fork, except there was a sort of silky stictioney feel. They were fresh out of the box tho, so not broken in yet.

Is it worth $1400 vs $800...no idea but holy crap...they are light and boy do they feel nice.

edit: nice LG1 - put on the skid plate you dork.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Hey Luc,

There is a DHX on there, correct? Let us know when you get some ride time on it, I am curious how is compares to the 5th and whether it is worth upgrading.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Why would you ever think to get a Boxxer instead of a Fox. All the RS forks I ever owned leaked like a tourist in Mexico. I dont think that I would want any leaks esp in an Air fork.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...yeah, I'd have to agree,with him Luc - unfortunately.

I love the low weight of Boxxers, but I tried to fix my old 04' Race-WC upgraded forks, and even after getting a new compression assembly it leaked oil from up inside the adjuster screw at the bottom.

What is the deal on Quality Control at RS for 06'? - The lowers for the WC are made in the U.S.A., so that's good to hear, but I'm still hesitant to even think about picking up a pair. I'd love to shave some weight off of my Demo 8. But my Marz 888RC is soooo smooth and hassle-free out of the box...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Acadian said:
As a journalist I would think you’d get all your facts straight before throwing insults...

I didn't built it - that's how it came out of the box straight from IH. And LG1's aren't even available yet...
That IS the top plate and bottom roller off of an LG1, and i am willing to bet it is also a 2006 backplate, which has the mounts for the skid plate.

Just cut part of a bashring and mount it to the mounting holes. Last I heard the actual LG1 kits and skid plates were not ready for after market...but clearly, the plastics kits are ready for OEM.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Transcend said:
I rode one very briefly at Ft Bill - felt like a coil sprung fork, except there was a sort of silky stictioney feel. They were fresh out of the box tho, so not broken in yet.

Is it worth $1400 vs $800...no idea but holy crap...they are light and boy do they feel nice.
I'm not talking WC vs Team (because I already know I'm gonna get the Team if anything, I can't justify the money for a WC), I just want to know how the motion control damper thing goes. I like the all-external adjustments and stuff, and I like the Pikes I've ridden so far, so I'm hoping it will be the goods.

So, to derail this thread back onto its original track, how does the damping feel?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wait, I know, the old one got dirty and someone wrote "arcadian" in the dust when he was off buying more newcastle. :p :sneaky:

Seriously man that is pimp. :thumb:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
SinatorJ said:
Why would you ever think to get a Boxxer instead of a Fox. All the RS forks I ever owned leaked like a tourist in Mexico. I dont think that I would want any leaks esp in an Air fork.
Why a Boxxer? Well to start with, I have an 04 which I like. Never blown seals (only change them once a year as well), never had any kind of leaks or anything, internals never blew up or anything either. Can't complain about the reliability there. Also, they're like half the price of a Fox over here, the user can alter the bottom-out resistance (whereas all the Foxes I've ridden bottom out far too easily for my liking and you can't just raise oil heights to solve it), and until Fox sorts their cracking arches (since about half the people I know who bought them have broken them there) I won't be touching them thanks.

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
I got a little ride time in AZ on a 06 Black Box Boxxer Ride last month. It felt very nice for what will be a $550 fork, better than any Boxxer I have ridden in fact. It felt very plush for bumps, but had a good progressive feel on the bigger hits. The motion control should be nice for making adjustments in between runs, and the new U-Turn felt 100x's more durable than the 05 Ride's which felt very hard to turn on the several I tried. All the 06's except the WC will be cheaper than the 05's. The Ride is $550-$570, Race is $650-$670 and the team is $850. universalcycles.com already is selling the Race and Team if you want to see their prices.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
thaflyinfatman said:
You mean only $500au more? Yeah, like hell I'm paying $500 for air springs.

Anyone else got any input?
You sure? Bike shed as well as BA are selling them as a $300 difference- $1400 for the teams and $1700 for the world cups. (Prices are $AUD). For $300 i'll have the World cups thanks.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i think the main advantage for air springs is the infinate amount of adjustability the light weight is also a bonus but i dont see it as the number 1 factor

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sixsixtysix said:
I got a little ride time in AZ on a 06 Black Box Boxxer Ride last month. It felt very nice for what will be a $550 fork, better than any Boxxer I have ridden in fact. It felt very plush for bumps, but had a good progressive feel on the bigger hits. The motion control should be nice for making adjustments in between runs, and the new U-Turn felt 100x's more durable than the 05 Ride's which felt very hard to turn on the several I tried. All the 06's except the WC will be cheaper than the 05's. The Ride is $550-$570, Race is $650-$670 and the team is $850. universalcycles.com already is selling the Race and Team if you want to see their prices.

i also t hink the 06 ride will be a great fork for many many uses, but, youre wrong on the pricing, you can expect that fork to be just over 700usd, in dealer pricing its halfway between the race and the team.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Daver said:
You sure? Bike shed as well as BA are selling them as a $300 difference- $1400 for the teams and $1700 for the world cups. (Prices are $AUD). For $300 i'll have the World cups thanks.
RRP for WCs = $2495 vs $1995 for teams. I can get em from my LBS for the prices you mentioned too, but that's nowhere near RRP.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
thaflyinfatman said:
RRP for WCs = $2495 vs $1995 for teams. I can get em from my LBS for the prices you mentioned too, but that's nowhere near RRP.
Those are sale prices by two of the shops up here, i was just showing that the difference is only $300, and for that money World Cups are a better buy.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Maybe for good customers, but it's still not cool to quote anything below RRP, nor assume that that's what everyone will pay. And I've since confirmed with a few people that my previously quoted prices are correct.