Quantcast

Anyone got anytime on the BOS Idylle Air?

I'm looking to stay under $1500 for my next DH fork. and the Idylle Air came up on my radar as I can score one for a shade under $1500. My weak Google-Fu didn't turn up any meaningful reviews. Have any you monkeys have some time on one and care to share your experiences?

Thanks

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Smooth, light, extremely controlled.
Keep in mind, that I haven't ridden my bike since September 2013.

I definitely think it's one hell of a fork. Out of the box, the fork was ubersmooth and stictionless. The air spring has the right amount of progression at the end. A MZ 888 comes in mind. The damping is really controlled and can be set up really stiff. Therefore, the fork gives you just the right amount of travel in each situation. The adjustment range is also really wide, to get the feeling you want.
Open oil bath makes sure, that you have to service it just once a year, where we come to the down side of this fork and any other BOS product:
You can't get spare parts for the fork. You have to send the fork to an authorized service partner, which will do the service for you and that's pricey.
The other bad thing (to me) is the need of tools to tune the fork. I'd love to see some knobs to adjust the damping.

And what supercow said.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The difference between RaRe and normal Idylle is the external high speed adjustment. I have a friend, which was really happy with the normal Idylle (coil).
The highspeed damping is for sure dialled, as the recommended settings from BOS are normally really on point and their basic setup should be really good.
But if you are able to get a RaRe, why not?

Last edited:
702 is the US distributor and servicer for BOS out of Las Vegas. He told me that both the air spring internals and the damper are both different for the idylle air vs idylle air rare. simpler no doubt, given the price difference. i run a fairly increased amount of lo-speed compression and not much hi-speed compression. just don't know if this is achieveable in a fork like the idylle air. and i was also told, you can't tune via shimstack either.

i prob could get the Rare with another month (or 2) of saving. $1500 is kinda arbitrary, but i know if i approach $2K, wifey is gonna have a cow.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
i was hoping for words about the idylle air, not the idylle air rare. maybe i need to scrimp alittle more for the rare.
No difference between them in terms of performance.
The only difference being the HSC/LSC being able to tune independently on the RaRe.

I bought the RaRe because they were black :p

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Any long term service/reliability problems? A friend has one on his YT, he had all the forks on the market and he loves his.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I have mine for a year now. The fork was still smooth when I sent it in to get serviced. So no problems regarding reliability on my site. There were a few faulty forks floating arouund, though. They had problems with the air spring.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Had mine since they came out, no issues so far.
Probably should change the oils and seals on them, but the feel as fresh as the day I got them.

Will have a peek inside over the weekend.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I started off with an idylle coil (non rare) I got it, put it on the bike and it was super plush and nice-i already crossed off the previous forks i had owned off my list. i LOVED it. After about a month on it, i had the chance to upgrade to an air rare-this was better, but not quite the jump from the fox. I rode and raced this all last year-and never turned a dial. (i did have to run higher pressure than i thought though) What is really cool about the bos forks, is how supple and soft they feel-but they dont seem to have that mega-sag or dive that you might expect. i dont know what they do, or how they do it, but it gives you the feeling that you are low on tire pressure, while still not really bottoming out. i wouldnt go to another company for a fork, and this year i purchased a rear shock-because if the fork is that good-i cant wait to see how great the shock is.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I have a YT Tues Pro with the RaRe Air and I love it. Although I've only about 5 months' experience with it, it's proven reliable and is one of the best-performing forks out there, although you do need to take the time to set it up properly to extract the best out of it. Responsive at any speed yet takes the big hits in stride......I'm sold in BOS suspension.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I got one a few weeks ago so while I can't vouch for it's durability(most people say they are in it for the long haul) I can say it's hands down the best fork i've ridden...It took a little bit to find the sweet spot(as any suspension product should) but I am flabbergasted at how well this fork behaves on the trail.

-zero seal friction, specifically when compared to other air forks out there(yes even the float 40)
-chassis is stiff and just the right size...not overbuilt(40) or under built(boxxer)
-craftsmanship is second to none...crowns and clickers are beautiful
-range in adjustability is amazing
-I still can't believe it's an air fork(I have historically abhorred air forks due to maintenance and ****ty feel)
-handles mid size stuff incredibly - this is an area where every consumer model from other brands seem to just flounder

I also got a BOS void to match out back...it took a good long while to break in and did beat me up a bit at first. after some ride time I do prefer it over my DHX RC4, but I feel like the tune could be slightly improved upon, but i'm splitting hairs a bit...

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I got one a few weeks ago so while I can't vouch for it's durability(most people say they are in it for the long haul) I can say it's hands down the best fork i've ridden...It took a little bit to find the sweet spot(as any suspension product should) but I am flabbergasted at how well this fork behaves on the trail.

-zero seal friction, specifically when compared to other air forks out there(yes even the float 40)
-chassis is stiff and just the right size...not overbuilt(40) or under built(boxxer)
-craftsmanship is second to none...crowns and clickers are beautiful
-range in adjustability is amazing
-I still can't believe it's an air fork(I have historically abhorred air forks due to maintenance and ****ty feel)
-handles mid size stuff incredibly - this is an area where every consumer model from other brands seem to just flounder

I also got a BOS void to match out back...it took a good long while to break in and did beat me up a bit at first. after some ride time I do prefer it over my DHX RC4, but I feel like the tune could be slightly improved upon, but i'm splitting hairs a bit...
Steve Jones, is that you?

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Steve Jones, is that you?
i think one has to try out bos fork. harder to put experience in words, right?

i agree that bos fork is good at midstroke support, no dive despite a good deal of plushness at beginning stroke.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Have you actually ridden this fork? Better yet, have you seen Steve Jones ride? I'm willing to bet he'd put some serious time into you. The dude is a monster on a bike and definitely doesn't waste his time on the internet making dip**** comments...
But we all know Dirt kinda sucks. I had the pleasure of meeting Jones a couple of years ago. Great guy who know's his sh*t.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Have you actually ridden this fork? Better yet, have you seen Steve Jones ride? I'm willing to bet he'd put some serious time into you. The dude is a monster on a bike and definitely doesn't waste his time on the internet making dip**** comments...
He is also the guy that gets BOS stuff for free and when he needs spares or a service he won't have to wait because they will send him a new fork instead. ;)

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Whoa, definitely not trying to get a rise out of you.

Yes, Steve Jones can ride, and yes I've tried it. I actually agree with your comments, and I enjoy your reviews on Vital. It's just that your post sounded like a script for an infomercial starring the ShamWow dude, which is standard Steve Jones when it comes to Bos. BOS WOW!!! Come on, doesn't that make you giggle just a little bit?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Whoa, definitely not trying to get a rise out of you.

Yes, Steve Jones can ride, and yes I've tried it. I actually agree with your comments, and I enjoy your reviews on Vital. It's just that your post sounded like a script for an infomercial starring the ShamWow dude, which is standard Steve Jones when it comes to Bos. BOS WOW!!! Come on, doesn't that make you giggle just a little bit?
All good. Thanks for the kind words. I guess I'm just baffled and a bit irked that he catches that much flak for genuinely being blown away by their products. I could see how he'd lose credibility if he was that fired up about every single thing he tested, but the guy is extremely discerning as a rider/tester...as for my post, sorry it wasn't that detailed...I just bulleted off quick points I'm impressed by inbetween beers. I don't spend that much time on this site anymore

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
All good. Thanks for the kind words. I guess I'm just baffled and a bit irked that he catches that much flak for genuinely being blown away by their products. I could see how he'd lose credibility if he was that fired up about every single thing he tested, but the guy is extremely discerning as a rider/tester...as for my post, sorry it wasn't that detailed...I just bulleted off quick points I'm impressed by inbetween beers. I don't spend that much time on this site anymore
I've been a long-time Dirt reader, and I get your point, Jones likes what he likes and bags on what he doesn't like. So the man has credibility, and I think he's bang on most of the time. My own personal hang up is that there is a bit lost in all this praise: namely that it's harder to get a Bos fork sorted (here in the US) if something does go wrong. Of course, Bos forks seem to be very reliable and there is now a US distributor as well as some certified service centers, so this may be less of a concern. Also, price!! The Idylle Rare Air is 2000+! Is it 200 dollars better than a 380 or 40 Float? I personally don't think so, but of course, to each his own. Bos does offer two lower price point forks which may be what the doctor ordered, but I've never tried them.

So hear ye hear ye, listen to Steve Jones and Ian Colllins when they praise the fork! It's marvelous, but not perfect, if I may say so.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
He is also the guy that gets BOS stuff for free and when he needs spares or a service he won't have to wait because they will send him a new fork instead. ;)
I'm just a nobody, but last fall when I had a problem I could not resolve with my Deville they immediately sent me a new one. I plan to try a Kirk or Vip'R on my Carbine and will likely be trying a BOS on my M9 this summer too. The Deville was good enough to sell me on that.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm just a nobody, but last fall when I had a problem I could not resolve with my Deville they immediately sent me a new one. I plan to try a Kirk or Vip'R on my Carbine and will likely be trying a BOS on my M9 this summer too. The Deville was good enough to sell me on that.
Lucky you!
My experience with BOS: e-mail reply is spotty, lately they don't answer at all.
Tried to buy a spring for the Idylle from them and wasn't able to order it through the webshop as it was "out of stock" for over half a year. Luckily my request for help on another board was answered by a BOS dealer that had one in stock. Thanks dude!
BOS France didn't want to touch a Stoy because TF Tuned had worked on it. Funnily TF Tuned was their UK distributor at the time the service was done. What?
My Idylle came back from a service from BOS France with scratches on one stanchion that were clearly from clamping it the wrong way. They didn't admit it and said the scratches were already in there when they received the fork. So either they assembled my fork with someone else's stanchions or they scratched them. None of these options increases my trust in their abilities to work on their own forks. And if they can't service their forks they should at least send out spares so that people who know what they are doing can do it themselves. BTW: I know of at least one other case locally that had similar "service" issues.

Don't get me wrong, minus the weight of the coil Idylle I think it is a brilliant fork and the Stoy is a really good shock too. And based on performance I would happily give them my money again, but all those small things add up. Unless they get some local distributor that is good to work with so I don't have to deal with BOS France anymore I am not considering them anymore.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I've been a long-time Dirt reader, and I get your point, Jones likes what he likes and bags on what he doesn't like. So the man has credibility, and I think he's bang on most of the time. My own personal hang up is that there is a bit lost in all this praise: namely that it's harder to get a Bos fork sorted (here in the US) if something does go wrong. Of course, Bos forks seem to be very reliable and there is now a US distributor as well as some certified service centers, so this may be less of a concern. Also, price!! The Idylle Rare Air is 2000+! Is it 200 dollars better than a 380 or 40 Float? I personally don't think so, but of course, to each his own. Bos does offer two lower price point forks which may be what the doctor ordered, but I've never tried them.

So hear ye hear ye, listen to Steve Jones and Ian Colllins when they praise the fork! It's marvelous, but not perfect, if I may say so.
really? still about the price? have you recently compaired the Bos prices on pricepoint.com with the ones on bosmtb.com? seen any difference? geez, you guys ALWAYS pay less than everybody in europe, even on stuff made in europe. so please, stop the complaining for once...

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
really? still about the price? have you recently compaired the Bos prices on pricepoint.com with the ones on bosmtb.com? seen any difference? geez, you guys ALWAYS pay less than everybody in europe, even on stuff made in europe. so please, stop the complaining for once...
yeah, almost 3000$ converted from euro if one buys in Europe.

It is almost worth make a trip to US and buy the fork there :D

And at the same time, I find bargain prices for Michelin, Schwalbe tires meanwhile they cost like 100$ in us.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Well I am jealous of European Shimano pricing.

It's not a complaint about the net amount, it's a complaint relative to the pricing of comparable forks, here in the US at least. Bos just costs more period. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Last edited: