Quantcast

Anyone grow hops?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
nice! im back at my house after two days of watching my little sister at the parents house, i will check on mine when i get home from work.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
nice!! the only one that is getting out of control is my cascade.

the one vine that a deer bit off (cascase) is doing really well. i up-potted last weekend and its just about ready to join with the rest of his brothers. ill have to put him in the raised bed this weekend.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's interesting, my cascade is the one doing the least best.

my chinook is growing like tyrome biggums likes crack. out of control. already 7+ feet tall.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
yeah, i was out there watering last night and my one chinook shoot has already surpassed the top of my trellis system by a couple of inches. what do you do when its hit the top like that? let it do its thing?

If i have time this weekend, i am contemplating saying F it and just putting in the ground and doing a better trellis system. i know we are not going to be moving for at least 2-3 months so it should be good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what do you do when its hit the top like that? let it do its thing?
pretty much. i run two line pairs for each plant and have a cross line between them. i'm hoping it'll run across this, but i'll see. it will probably have made up its mind by the time i get home from work. i'll try to get some pics to illustrate my setup better.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
mine are there as well.

also, chinook already has super small little hops growing. so excited!!!! ill take a picture tonight.

edit:
I think ive got the homebrew situation figured out as well. stuff will be ordered no later than Friday night. very very excited!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
its been fairly dry in CA (in a drought), but i water the soil first thing when i get home and they seem to like it (steady growth & whatnot).

Cascade is like a mini bush already, and contines to get bush-ier and bush-ier every day; i acutally need to prune some of the smaller vines off. i cant wait for next year when i have everything squared away and am ready for the craziness!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i believe i have an earwig problem, i am going to take care of it as soon as i have 5 empty keureg cups.

i found a pretty simple way to treat without any pesticide: take those keureg cup things (some of them have powder that mixes with the water, no actual coffee grinds), seal the hole on the bottom, and fill with veggie oil, and then bury up to the brim.

have you tried that before?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
nice!

i guess they are nocturnal for the most part; so i cannot actually confirm they are earwigs. the k cup trick will tell me if i am correct or not.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i did a couple of weeks ago (first year for me). cascade and chinook were the only ones that came out.i picked crystal, but those are going to get tossed, as the oil content was pretty much non existent.

I actually used all of them this weekend in a boil for an ipa (2.25 oz chinook, 2 oz cascade). not sure if its enough, but we shall see.