Quantcast

anyone haul bikes with small/sporty cars?

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
i have a cheap old trunk rack on my civic. or if im riding my bike with q/r, i can break it down and throw it in the back seat.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
Nick said:
I drive an A4. With both rear seats down I can easily fit either of my bikes, my gear bag, a small cooler (mmmm, post-ride beers) and have ample room left for whatever. Chameleon = front wheel off, Turner = both wheels off.

Last year's Summer trip my car carried: my RFX, two forks, 5 wheels, toolbox, workstand, suitcase, gearbag, camera bag, collapsable chair and a cooler, plus a big bag of misc. stuff for over 3K miles in all.

I do like knowing that my bike and gear is as secure as possible being locked inside of my car before/after the ride. If I went with a rack I would much prefer a hitch rack vs. roof.
I drive an A4 too. Unfortunately, the sub box in the back prevents me from folding down the seats to store stuff. My previous car, eclipse GT (rest in peace...) was pretty much like a pickup too. Moved everything I owned from one apartment to another in 2 trips... including a desk!

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Just wondering if you guys over there have ever seen a rack like this one?
Would there be legal issues in the US with homemade stuff like this?

This is mine when I first built it,it held 4 DH bikes no worries,Ive since extended it to hold 5.
You do need to strap it to the roof-rails to stop it flexing the towbar(NZ for tow hitch!) so much the pedals hit the back of the car! :think:

Attachments

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
jacksonpt said:
Yea, I was really surprised. And there's good support for the tC from TRD. That little car must fly with the TRD s/c! And I really like that the torque is useable... max torque is a 4k RPMs. I don't need to be able to go 150mph, but I would like to go from 20-50 in a hurry.
Before the car came out toyota had a intro at the meadowlands and a road course set up in the parking lot. We got to beat the piss out of the cars for an hour or two(that was fun). The TC 0-60 is actually only .2 -.5 seconds slower than a lexus IS300. I've gotten the tyres to break free coming into third gear.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Freak said:
Went to a welding shop and had them put on a 2" receiver.
Did the same for my Impreza wagon; only cost me $40. Then again, I live remarkably close to Mexico, so this stuff's cheap...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Percy said:
Just wondering if you guys over there have ever seen a rack like this one?
Would there be legal issues in the US with homemade stuff like this?

This is mine when I first built it,it held 4 DH bikes no worries,Ive since extended it to hold 5.
You do need to strap it to the roof-rails to stop it flexing the towbar(NZ for tow hitch!) so much the pedals hit the back of the car! :think:
You guys do things differently there, man, I told ya. Those trailer-ball racks are great and simple. Only thing is that here, towbars are (for all I've seen) receiver hitches, so they don't have a fixed trailer ball; the ball is attached to a metal tube (square) which slides into the receiver assembly which is bolted or welded to your vehicle's frame.

So not much need for the racks to simply clamp onto the trailer ball like yours do...the racks are just made to plug into the receiver where the ball (via its mounting) normally would. Seen lots of people who've made homemade racks of one sort or another that fit in this manner, so yeah, there's no real issue with them being homemade or anything, so long as they're not a hazard.

MD

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Well, I had the tC for a few hours this morning... brought it back to the house and gave it a thorough go-over. The more I learn about the car, the more I like it... especially for the price. The thing goes like a bat out of hell. I smoked the tires a few times :D and pushed it pretty hard through some corners. What a blast to drive.

My wife has a BMW 235xi... so that's kind of what I'm comparing it to - not in the same class, I know, but some points of comparison...

• The BMW is definitely stiffer laterally, and clearly has better tires. This is very easy to fix on the tC... and the difference isn't huge.
  • the TC has a touch more power at 3k RMPs, but the BMW has much more power at top of the RPM band. I'd rather have the torque at 4k than at 7k, so for day to day driving, I like the feel of the tC better.
  • the throw on the tC is much shorter... a definite plus
  • surprisingly, there is more rear seat knee room in the tC... a good thing when trying to get a kid in a carseat back there. head room however is vitually nill.
  • there's a bit more cargo room in the trunk of the BMW - no surprise. But with the rear seats folded down, either car can handle a bike and a fair amount of gear without problem. Neither can take a bike with only 1 rear seat folded down.

Obviously the BMW has a lot more creature comforts than the scion (leather, heated seats, climate control, etc), but most of that I don't care about. The only real complaints I have about the tC, which are minor nit-picky things, are that the shifter is too far forward - I like to be able to have my elbow on the armrest and keep my hand on the shifter... can't do it in the tC. The other thing is that there are no steering wheel mounted audio controls. Normally I wouldn't care about it... but it would be nice to have them so I could close the cover over the radio and not have to keep opening it to change a track or adjust the volume.

Bottom line... I think the tC compares very favorably to the 235xi when you consider the sticker on the BMW was $28,xxx and the tC is $16,xxx.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
jacksonpt said:
The BMW is definitely stiffer laterally, and clearly has better tires. This is very easy to fix on the tC... and the difference isn't huge.
What your feeling is more the tuning in the stock suspension than lateral stiffness. The car was designed to ride smooth even with the low profile tyres. So between the soft stock suspension and the heavy weight make it feel a bit soft under hard driving. They did this on purpose since most people would never push the car. They have the stiffer sway bars and sport shocks available for a couple more bucks if you want better handling.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I sell these cars and know most evreything about them from ground up so if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me and I'll give you my work #.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Lexx D said:
What your feeling is more the tuning in the stock suspension than lateral stiffness. The car was designed to ride smooth even with the low profile tyres. So between the soft stock suspension and the heavy weight make it feel a bit soft under hard driving.
ah, that makes sense.

I figured the strut tower brace, rear sway bar, trd shocks and lowering springs would make a noticable differnece. From a performance standpoint, that was really my only complaint. But for the money... I still things it's a great performer right off the lot.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Lexx D said:
I sell these cars and know most evreything about them from ground up so if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me and I'll give you my work #.
Cool, thanks. My wife and I have to sit down and crunch some numbers to see what it would do to us financially, but if it starts to look like we're going to pull the trigger, I may give you call.

I do have one question for you... have you heard any firm/reliable performance numbers from TRD on the supercharger for the tC? I've read anywhere from 40-80hp gain. Any official numbers?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Anybody drive a Honda Prelude? Lately I've been thinking of getting a new car and I'v been thinking of either a Volkswagen Golf/GTi or a Honda Prelude. The local dealership has a 93 for a bit over 2.5k and I was thinking of taking a look at it. What roof rack do you guys use if you do have one? I'd probably have to buy the towers and everything first though...

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
jacksonpt said:
Cool, thanks. My wife and I have to sit down and crunch some numbers to see what it would do to us financially, but if it starts to look like we're going to pull the trigger, I may give you call.

I do have one question for you... have you heard any firm/reliable performance numbers from TRD on the supercharger for the tC? I've read anywhere from 40-80hp gain. Any official numbers?
Sounds cool let me know if I can help.

As for the supercharger you'll have no problems(besides it isn't available just yet). The engine was beefed up where it needed(head gasket, valve springs) it to handle the boost from the Spercharger. The engine was tested before production at 11,000 rpm for 24 hours straight with no problems. Power gain is going to be that 40-80 range, it all depends on how conservative toyota wants to be.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
MikeD said:
You guys do things differently there, man, I told ya. Those trailer-ball racks are great and simple. Only thing is that here, towbars are (for all I've seen) receiver hitches, so they don't have a fixed trailer ball; the ball is attached to a metal tube (square) which slides into the receiver assembly which is bolted or welded to your vehicle's frame.

So not much need for the racks to simply clamp onto the trailer ball like yours do...the racks are just made to plug into the receiver where the ball (via its mounting) normally would. Seen lots of people who've made homemade racks of one sort or another that fit in this manner, so yeah, there's no real issue with them being homemade or anything, so long as they're not a hazard.

MD
Mines not a hazard,except in the dark because its entirely black!
Ive never walked into it.........honest. :eek:

A lot of newer towbars in NZ are made with the separate plug in bits,it used to be only for 4wd's so they could fit a tow hook instead of the ball for serious off-roading,but is becoming more common on cars as well.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Percy said:
Mines not a hazard,except in the dark because its entirely black!
Ive never walked into it.........honest. :eek:
Last ride in NZ was a night ride at Woodhill. In the carpark, I heard (and even saw one) several people have encounters with racks in the dark. Normally I don't mind encounters with racks in the dark, but these were, although foam covered, of the long, skinny, and metal kind.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
COmtbiker12 said:
Anybody drive a Honda Prelude? Lately I've been thinking of getting a new car and I'v been thinking of either a Volkswagen Golf/GTi or a Honda Prelude. The local dealership has a 93 for a bit over 2.5k and I was thinking of taking a look at it. What roof rack do you guys use if you do have one? I'd probably have to buy the towers and everything first though...
if you like driving, look into the 1.8T engines. They're a lot easier to tune since so much can be done software wise to the turbo. Can't say I know much about the prelude, but 2.5k sounds like an awesome deal (IE, check it over very thoroughly).

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
crono35 said:
if you like driving, look into the 1.8T engines. They're a lot easier to tune since so much can be done software wise to the turbo. Can't say I know much about the prelude, but 2.5k sounds like an awesome deal (IE, check it over very thoroughly).
Watch out for the 1.8T motors. They are very tunable but VW has been having problems with the oil turning into sludge.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Lexx D said:
Watch out for the 1.8T motors. They are very tunable but VW has been having problems with the oil turning into sludge.
and you have to get it in a car that's either kinda porky as far as hatchbacks go (golf) or has no back seat room (jetta)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Freak said:
I'm with Luc on this one!

We have a Mazda 3 hatchback, and they normally only put a 1 1/4" receiver on it, but we went and paid a little more to get a custom 2" receiver on it so we can put a 2" sportworks T2 on it. It works great, and it's quick to load bikes!!!

Here is a pic of our Mazda without the rack.

This is not a hitch question, but as this is also a car review thread also, I'm wondering how you like your Mazda 3 hatchback?

I've been in the market for a more family friendly replacement for my 2000 Tacoma Xtracab and the Mazda 3 hatchback was one of the cars I was considering.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
MtnBikerChk said:
IAB used to drive an Integra. I bought him a Yakima system for the roof. The only thing was you had to put the bike trays on backwards otherwise you couldn't open the hatch. But it was no problem and it carried 2 bikes fine.

edit: putting bikes in the back of an integra would have been a major PITA!
I also used to have an Integra - a '91 2-door. The secret to getting a rack to work is to use a short-roof adapter mounted in reverse - so the front bar sits farther forward. Worked great and I could open the hatch completely without hitting the bike trays. Also spread the bars farther apart so the trays were more stable. I had/have a Thule. Never liked Yamika's mounting system...

For longer trips or for high-speed runs, I'd throw the hardtail in the back, taking the front wheel off. Wasn't too big of an issue, IMO. I beat the snot out of that car... still miss it at times... :(

M

MSpike

I drive an '89 Probe. OK, now that the laughter has died down, I have owned it since '92 and I get 30-33 MPG in the city so I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. But the best thing about it is that I can throw any of my bikes in the hatchback without even having to remove a front tire. I usually do a road biking tour every year which means hauling clothes and gear for the tour, camping gear, and a bag of "normal" clothes for a weeklong visit with the family afterwards. These go into the hatchback, the road bike goes on top of the bags, and I still have plenty of room to spare for anything else I want to haul. It's really amazing how much you can fit inside the hatchback on one of these things.

That said, I did put a hitch mount on the car in 2000 so I wouldn't have to throw a mud-encrusted mountain bike inside the car after a ride. But even with the bike rack, I still put the road bike inside the car when I need to haul it anywhere. And if I'm heading out of town for a weekend of mountain biking, I'll throw the MTB in the car for the drive and only use the rack for shuttling to and from the trailhead. If I'm heading to a trail in town, I may take my chances and put the the bike on the rack or I might throw it in the car instead just to be safe. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but I'm just trying to minimize the chances that my bike will get crunched when some moron rear-ends me. And believe me, someone will. I've been rammed three times since I put the hitch on. Each time, I was either sitting at a red light or waiting at a yield sign yielding to traffic when someone who wasn't looking in the direction their car was going slammed into me. Luckily I wasn't hauling my bike any of those times or there would be hell to pay.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MikeD said:
Last ride in NZ was a night ride at Woodhill. In the carpark, I heard (and even saw one) several people have encounters with racks in the dark. Normally I don't mind encounters with racks in the dark, but these were, although foam covered, of the long, skinny, and metal kind.
For a while I had a trunk mount rack strapped to the hatch on my GTI. Getting my laptop bad out of the hatch one morning I slammed the hatch and the rack delivered a crushing blow to my head. Knocked myself out for a few minutes. I ended up staggering into work clueless to the blood running down the side of my head.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
Lexx D said:
true... but happens less with synthetic oils and almost never when oil is changed regularly. Warm up and cool down sucks though.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Andyman_1970 said:
This is not a hitch question, but as this is also a car review thread also, I'm wondering how you like your Mazda 3 hatchback?

I've been in the market for a more family friendly replacement for my 2000 Tacoma Xtracab and the Mazda 3 hatchback was one of the cars I was considering.
There's not much room in the backseat for passengers. Suspension is soft in the rear.(we've thought about putting airbags in the suspension to help with this).
The front end is very easy to hit on curbs pulling into parking spaces.

On the plus sides
We've carried 2 people, 2 DH bikes, 2 dogs, a fold up kennel, all of our gear to whistler (4hr trip) and were still fairly comfy, just the suspension was soft and bottomed some.

Without it being loaded down, the car is very zippy with the 2.3l engine and fun to drive. We get about 28mpg and I have a lead foot.

We have about 13k miles on it so far and it's running great.

If you're looking to carry people around in the back often, you might want to look at the Mazda 6.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
mack said:
Damn dude, you think people in Ct tailgate allot! Try driving through new york, or even worse, new jersey. :stosh:

Try Atlanta. My boss has is on his 2nd sportworks reciver rack. We welded his frist one back together twice. It was hit again 2 months later. All from people hitting him from behind

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
MikeD said:
Mmmm racks in the dark! :D

I bent down the other day to un-hook the tie-down tubes and whacked my head into it! :confused:
Its not like I didnt know it was there either! :o:

M

MSpike

=[Stinky]= said:
Try Atlanta. My boss has is on his 2nd sportworks reciver rack. We welded his frist one back together twice. It was hit again 2 months later. All from people hitting him from behind
I've got him beat. I have replaced my rack 4 times:

1. I'm stopped at a red light. While I'm waiting, a pickup comes up behind me and forgets to stop.
2. I'm stopped at a yield sign yielding to traffic. Person behind me is looking off somewhere else and slams into me. Jammed my shoulder bad. It's hosed.
3. My car is parked in a parking lot when an idiot trying to park next to my car misjudges it, slams into my rack, and keeps going all the way along the side of my rear bumper.
4. Same intersection as #2. Same situation except that this time the person behind me thought the person behind her might hit her so she gunned it and rammed my car instead. Nice. Snapped the hell out of my neck in the process.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Here in California, where following distance is measured in inches, I've had lots of close calls with people looking to slide in behind me at 85mph (flow-of-traffic) and pre-judging their move on the anticipated rear of my car, only to be rudely suprised that I have the audacity to have a bike rack on the rear.

They usually are REALLY mad, like road-rage mad, once they duck back into their lane. I'm still paranoid about someone taking the rack out with their front driver's side fender. Would be sort of a PIT maneuver at the same time...not good to have happen to you on a crowded freeway.

This is the only place I've driven where I've ever had to honk at someone behind me.

MD

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Westy said:
For a while I had a trunk mount rack strapped to the hatch on my GTI. Getting my laptop bad out of the hatch one morning I slammed the hatch and the rack delivered a crushing blow to my head. Knocked myself out for a few minutes. I ended up staggering into work clueless to the blood running down the side of my head.
Ha-ha. I did that to myself once, too. Not quite a mortal blow, but that bike rack comes down fast when you forget it's there.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I had a rack on my 2004 VW GTI and had no problems with two fork-mounted downhill bikes on top with gear in the back with room to spare. I'll be putting the rack on my 20th Edition when it finally stops raining. I was thinking of getting a hitch for my '04 when I had it but with the body style of the 20th i cant :(

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:

So... did you get one?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'd say hitch rack. I had a roof rack on a 01 cavalier 2 door and it was ok but i would have rather had the chance to remove my rack when i wanted. Also those tC's are hot definetly a fun car on a budget i'd love to have one.

Why is it luc most always show off his fancy car and bike any chance he gets instead of just stating get a hitch rack with a sportworks :p

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
COmtbiker12 said:
get a golf or jetta wagon TDI.

i don't think i will ever get a non diesel car ever again.
i use a stock 1 1/4 with a tray rack i made that has a back wall to strap too.
super easy to get bikes on and off and can be used for other things too.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
bcd said:
get a golf or jetta wagon TDI.

i don't think i will ever get a non diesel car ever again.
i use a stock 1 1/4 with a tray rack i made that has a back wall to strap too.
super easy to get bikes on and off and can be used for other things too.
I have a Jetta Wagon TDI... and while I smile everytime I fill the tank and marvel at the 47 mpg, the rest of the time with the car is about as much fun as watching paint dry... but as a commuter-car for a lot of highway driving, there is nothing better.

Pros: Relatively easy to wrench on... comfortable interior... very efficient for its size... awesome in the snow.

Cons: NEEDS stiffer springs/shocks (www.shineracing.com is what I plan to get). Mtg a hitch on the wagon is a pain. Could use more power, but there are chip and injector upgrades... Expensive (dealers ain't budging on TDI prices right now...).