Quantcast

Anyone have a good Credit Card with a Low APR?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm looking for a new credit card, the one I have is a student credit card with like a 2000% APR. Anyone know what I should look into? I've heard good things about AMEX cards, but not everyone takes them.

Suggestions?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I had a card with a 19ish% APR, had it for a couple of years. Anyway I also had a couple of other cards with lower APRs so I figured I'd cancel it. When I called up to do so, they were all desperate not to loose me as a customer and offered to lower the APR not once but twice down to 12.5%. I still cancelled but this seems like a good way to take a good cut out of your existing card.

This is in the UK BTW.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you're worried about APR, you shouldn't be looking at AMEX. AMEX is a charge card, not a credit card. AS in, you have to pay the balance off each month. I believe "Blue" is the AMEX credit card.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Try bankrate.com. There is a lot of good info there and a rate comparison between various cards.

Capital one, MBNA and CITI usually have good deals. SouthTrust as some good deals on fixed rate cards.

AMEX is not a credit card and the total is due every month. There is an annual fee.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DRB said:
<snip>

AMEX is not a credit card and the total is due every month. There is an annual fee.
Used to be the case - not so much anymore. Amex offers a number of options. Revolving credit with no annual fee is available.

I don't even know what the APR is on my credit cards.............. except the one that is 0%. I can remember that one. :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
SkaredShtles said:
Used to be the case - not so much anymore. Amex offers a number of options. Revolving credit with no annual fee is available.

I don't even know what the APR is on my credit cards.............. except the one that is 0%. I can remember that one. :D
Good point. There interest rate is murder though and I wouldn't suggest using it has a credit card.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a debit card that pays me .5% on every purchase and refunds ALL atm fees for withdraws.

I said no to credit cards 3 years ago and have been quite happy since.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Why? They'll give you FREE money for 30 days! Best deal around.
yup :stupid:

just pay it off each month. i make "1-5%" cash back with my amex (more like 2 or so), no annual fee, no finance charges since i pay it off.