Quantcast

anyone have any ride time or reviews on the maverick long travel frame?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
dad just called me and asked if i knew anyone or had heard of any reviews on the ml7.5 i think it is called. he currently rocks a ml7 with a duc and loves it to death but is looking for more travel and better shifting. holler back if yall got something good to say or a link to an aticle.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The ML8 is the 6 inch travel frame. I havent had the chance to really get a good ride on one, despite working in the same building as the maverick factory. You'll be hard pressed to build a lighter 6 inch bike than an ML8 with a DUC fork. Maintenance-wise they are average, the rear shock are very simple but do have a few little issues that come up occasionally. This goes for the fork and the shock. The frame bearings hold up very well, in fact I dont think Ive ever had to replace them. Like I said I havent really thrashed one, so I can comment too much on rigidity, but from the short rides Ive done I can say that the suspension is quite good. It pedals very well and has a true rearward axle path. Compared to a 575, a 6.6, or a santa cruz nomad, I would probably take the maverick.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
TheInedibleHulk said:
The ML8 is the 6 inch travel frame. .... It pedals very well and has a true rearward axle path. Compared to a 575, a 6.6, or a santa cruz nomad, I would probably take the maverick.
Its really hard to put the ML8 in the same category as the 6.6 or the nomad. Its a light weight frame, but can be easily fatigued. The Nomad is a much stronger bike in general. Same as the 6.6.

The 2 biggest issues are the shock and the seat tube angle. If you are a taller guy, the seat throws you further behind the CG, causing the bike to rear-up in the climbs. Although the suspension system is quite efficient, I don't like having 1 option for a shock.