Quantcast

Anyone have bike magazine connections/ places that need freelance writers?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hey monkies. I'm looking to branch out into writing for Bike magazines or writing for the biking industry. I'm currently a freelance writer for a national fitness magazine and an editor at a magazine. Biking and writing are my passions and I would love to combine the two. Unfortunately having a connection is sometimes the only way to get a foot in the door. So any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My suggestion:

Pick another sport for freelance writing. Few people make "any" money at it. Mags are bombarded with free stuff all day long. The reason content sucks is because they're too cheap to pay decent writers.
Like with the magazine Decline. Man, those writers are just brutal. I found tons of errors on every page of text in that rag, and now I no longer even see it on the shelves.

Plain and simple. Bike industry either doesnt have the money, or is too stingy with it to pay for decent work. We all suffer.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Hey monkies. I'm looking to branch out into writing for Bike magazines or writing for the biking industry. I'm currently a freelance writer for a national fitness magazine and an editor at a magazine. Biking and writing are my passions and I would love to combine the two. Unfortunately having a connection is sometimes the only way to get a foot in the door. So any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated :)
I have some connections, maybe you can swing by and show me some examples of your work!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
BurlyShirley said:
My suggestion:

Pick another sport for freelance writing. Few people make "any" money at it. Mags are bombarded with free stuff all day long. The reason content sucks is because they're too cheap to pay decent writers.
Like with the magazine Decline. Man, those writers are just brutal. I found tons of errors on every page of text in that rag, and now I no longer even see it on the shelves.

Plain and simple. Bike industry either doesnt have the money, or is too stingy with it to pay for decent work. We all suffer.
I'm not doing it for the money as much as I'm doing it for the experience. The fact that magazines do get basic things wrong makes me want to write a solid article for their magazines because I know my stuff when it comes to bikes and I have a lot of writing experience.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
bluebug32 said:
I'm not doing it for the money as much as I'm doing it for the experience. The fact that magazines do get basic things wrong makes me want to write a solid article for their magazines because I know my stuff when it comes to bikes and I have a lot of writing experience.
Cool then. Just as long as money isnt what you're after. Straight up,the contact info they give in the mags is legit. Just email those guys and talk with them. They'll look at whatever, usually.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
BurlyShirley said:
Cool then. Just as long as money isnt what you're after. Straight up,the contact info they give in the mags is legit. Just email those guys and talk with them. They'll look at whatever, usually.
Right. I have a good desk job. I just like to freelance on the side. Do you have magazine experience?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
bluebug32 said:
Right. I have a good desk job. I just like to freelance on the side. Do you have magazine experience?
I have alot of different writing experience, only some with magazines. Mostly military and weapons related stuff. I did PR for the Marines and managed our base newspaper. Also did some other stuff on the side for cash.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Burly the problem with decline is the graphic designers don't proofread when they make the layouts. I pick out grammatical and graphic design errors all day long. Usually from what ive been taught when a designer is given body text to layout he is incharge of checking it for errors in text and the design (how the words line up and such). So in the end i think decline should just hire me to do their layouts :p

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
mobius said:
So in the end i think decline should just hire me to do their layouts :p
When they hire you, will you make sure that you no longer allow them to put 8 point type anywhere in the magazine, particularly when it is white type on light background photos. My eyes can't take it!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The problem with decline, actually, is that it just sucks.

The problem with the writing is more than poor grammar. Its mundane and boring. They write ABOUT some interesting things, but none of it makes for much of a good read, IMO.
Also, the little Pros forums... Why do I want to hear some pro b!tch about how bad he's got it? Why? Why is that interesting?
The pics are at times decent, but the layout is juvenile. Their photogs arent anywhere near what "Bike" has, but at least its ABOUT the right kind of riding.

Anyway, if that mag isnt done for already, it should be.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
jdschall said:
When they hire you, will you make sure that you no longer allow them to put 8 point type anywhere in the magazine, particularly when it is white type on light background photos. My eyes can't take it!
Hah thats another thing ive learned in school, font shouldnt go below 9 point and you should never use white type because the human eye processes black better. And serif fonts are easily more recognized by the human eye faster so serif is better for body text.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
BurlyShirley said:
The problem with decline, actually, is that it just sucks.

The problem with the writing is more than poor grammar. Its mundane and boring. They write ABOUT some interesting things, but none of it makes for much of a good read, IMO.
Also, the little Pros forums... Why do I want to hear some pro b!tch about how bad he's got it? Why? Why is that interesting?
The pics are at times decent, but the layout is juvenile. Their photogs arent anywhere near what "Bike" has, but at least its ABOUT the right kind of riding.

Anyway, if that mag isnt done for already, it should be.

The layout is supposed to be "edgey(sp?), extreme, and sporty" from what i've gathered. Kinda like mags like alternative press and such. I prefer cleaner grided magazines that look more professional but i guess thats the look decline goes for with a rougher edgier design.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
mobius said:
Usually from what ive been taught when a designer is given body text to layout he is incharge of checking it for errors in text and the design (how the words line up and such). So in the end i think decline should just hire me to do their layouts :p
:think:

The copy should be "gold" when the designer gets it. Design is what the designers do. Writers write, and proofreaders proofread.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
mobius said:
Hah thats another thing ive learned in school, font shouldnt go below 9 point and you should never use white type because the human eye processes black better.
You should also learn that there are NO RULES. All of the grungy design in the 90's reiterated that fact. If it's great design, and you pull the reader in, they'll read 4.5 point type. Your talking about making it easy for the reader to skim through the magazine.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
stinkyboy said:
:think:

The copy should be "gold" when the designer gets it. Design is what the designers do. Writers write, and proofreaders proofread.
True just depends on what you are doing. I've done some work and it has not come to me proofread where other has been.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I agree, Decline is a huge book, but when you open it, everything is tight and you have to strain your eyes to read it.

At least at my magazine, as an editor, we get the pages after they've been laid out to fix any copy errors (layout included).

Does anyone read Outside Magazine? It's not always as interesting to me content wise as bike mags are, but the design layout is really cool.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
bluebug32 said:
I agree, Decline is a huge book, but when you open it, everything is tight and you have to strain your eyes to read it.

At least at my magazine, as an editor, we get the pages after they've been laid out to fix any copy errors (layout included).

Does anyone read Outside Magazine? It's not always as interesting to me content wise as bike mags are, but the design layout is really cool.
I like Outsides layout a lot. The mag is to thin and to broad for my taste since i dont do every activity in it but i've always liked their layouts. I really dug the Faces issue that had the athletes profiles in it.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
bluebug32 said:

My mom got me a subscription to it for Christmas. I must say, I like it. Good variety, good articles, well written, good photos.

I have no connections, but I know BRAIN (Bicycle Retail and Industry News) had an ad out for writers. I would have replied, but I'm still working on graduating. It isn't exactly interesting stuff, but more informative writing.

The Ito

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Geez, what magical magazines do you people work at? I've never met an article that was 'done' until it was basically on press. Design, write, redesign, rewrite, repeat often.

By the bye, you should try pitching bike stories to nonbike magazines, unless you are just looking to add to the growing pile of boring, techy bike reviews, inaccurate, old-news race reports, or articles about Whistler (Whistler? Really? You can ride mountain bikes there?) there are in the world.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sam_little said:
Anybody else see the embedded irony here?
Yeah, BS needs an editor!

In an ideal world, each writer will have proofreaders and editors to catch all the mistakes but from what I know, few cycling mags have the budget, so each writer is more responsible. All the errors in decline drive me nuts but it's still one the better mags out there - and I'm sorry to say it but it pretty accurately reflects the intelligence of a lot of people I meet in the "downhill, freeride, and street culture" or whatever they call it.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
ito said:
I have no connections, but I know BRAIN (Bicycle Retail and Industry News) had an ad out for writers. I would have replied, but I'm still working on graduating. It isn't exactly interesting stuff, but more informative writing.

The Ito
Contact info?