mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i posted this up on mtbr and got no love :(

any :monkey: 's able to help me out with this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sc blur 4X / cove hooker mx / arrow ds-3

i am currently looking into the three bikes listed above. i wanted something that was a bit of an all arounder. i like burly frames with short ST / low TT bikes with short travel and slack head angle. the three above all seem to have the qualities that i am looking for. i am currently thinking about building one of them up with a long travel single crown (pike/flick), possibly a 2ring and bash front (hooker would need an e-type), possible a single speed set up (on the hooker and the ds3 only).

at this point i am not looking for other bikes, just these three. i have tried searching the archives, but have not found much about them. anybody have any saddle time with these? what do you know about them? tire clearance? max fork size? general impressions for trail riding/climbing/descending?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i was looking for pretty much the same thing (short-travel trail / funbike) & ended up with a nicolai ufo. could'nt be more happy with it. compact & adequately burly with some travel & angle adjustability.

i did look at those other bikes in the search as well. i like the looks of the hooker, but didnt like the lack of seattube extension for those (occasional) times i want to climb. from what i've heard, the concentric bb'd arrow & cove arent the greatest peddlers - though i suppose its not a huge deal on a short travel, stiffly sprung frame.

i've got two friends riding blur 4x's, and they're pretty stoked. both are built as trailbikes with 5.5" forks. the frames are surprisingly light. all the feedback has been positive so far...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the ufo suits MY needs perfectly. as a 4x frame its a bit heavy - but i find most 4x frames seem a bit fragile for heavy trail use. the specialized sx might be a good option as well. here's my bike:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I have seen many people on the Blur 4x and they all loved it for DH racing on mellow courses. The tire clearance is ok. The frame is light. I rode one around and it cornered really well. I think climbing would be alright, it had excellent pedaling. Also I'm pretty sure you can have a long seatpost. And I've seen one ridden with a Pike (145mm).

I also know some people who have the UFO and love it. One of them has raced it at a few DH races and done well. They're burlier than most 4x bikes. Plus nobody has one.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
A guy I ride with has a SC Blur 4X and he can climb that thing like a beast. Then when it comes to downhill, he rips it up too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Blur 4x is built for up to a 150mm (6") fork, and yeah you can run a full seatpost. As compared to a blur XC, it's a much burlier frame - different tubes, gussets, etc. Match it up with a Fox 36 and you've got a sweeeet ride for what you're talking about.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I have an Arrow DS3 and I really like it. I haven't rode many other bikes like it so I don't know how it compares. I just got mine set up with a 26" wheelset, gears and a chain guild and so far I really like it. The only thing I don't like is the crappy chain line. This is because of the concentric piviot and having to space the chain guild out farther than normal, it might also be because it wasn't instaled the best that it could be. I wouldn't run it with more than a 5" fork unless the waranty will cover it; the head angle would be screwed up and it would probably comprise the strengh. The bike rides really nice. Last season about this time I took it up to Whistler (when it was set up with 24's and a single speed) and killed it on A-Line and Dirt Merchant. I was just as fast on that bike as a lot of guys on their DH bikes. It's also a fun bike to mess around on. It jumps well and its great for learning to jump because that little bit of suspension can save your butt. The only complaint I have about mine is the fork (which I plan on upgrading to a Sherman soon) and its not the best pedaling bike, it does pretty good in the 2" setting though, which is what I run mine at. Hope that helps.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
jackalope said:
I've got an '04 Transition Preston that is great for most FR duties and DJs...Check'em out at
www.transitionbikes.com/PrestonFR.cfm

Now the Spam...I'm selling mine if you're interested :thumb:

http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1505.new#new
not interested in anything with a ST length over 17" and a TT under 23" - the preston fails with a 19" seat tube to clear 23" in the top tube. so does the yeti asx, the kona family of frames, the dirtbag, the... the list goes on.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I'm looking for something similar myself at the moment and came across the Sinister Splinter mx. There appears to be a version with a 16.5" seat tube that could be perfect if its available with the longer top tube. Short stays and a 69 headangle says the website but I wonder if that adjustable rod could get a headangle in the 67 range? Might be worth looking into

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I'm looking for something similar myself at the moment and came across the Sinister Splinter mx. There appears to be a version with a 16.5" seat tube that could be perfect if its available with the longer top tube. Short stays and a 69 headangle says the website but I wonder if that adjustable rod could get a headangle in the 67 range? Might be worth looking into

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
toothless said:
DOPE-ITTY DOPE DOPE DOPE!!!!

that is the money shot. that is the bike i want!!! ...but not in orange.

HELL YES!!!

i would guess that the head angle stated at 69* is with a 6" fork and the 6" rear shock setting. apply the "one inch" rule and the 4" setting would get you to 67*. you could also throw in a 24" rear (which i would probably do anyway) for safe measure and you are at 67*. that adjustment rod looks like it could give you some angle adjustment as well.

THANKS A BUNCH MAN!!!

now, i start saving and asking for donations :p

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
mandown said:
DOPE-ITTY DOPE DOPE DOPE!!!!

that is the money shot. that is the bike i want!!! ...but not in orange.

HELL YES!!!

i would guess that the head angle stated at 69* is with a 6" fork and the 6" rear shock setting. apply the "one inch" rule and the 4" setting would get you to 67*. you could also throw in a 24" rear (which i would probably do anyway) for safe measure and you are at 67*. that adjustment rod looks like it could give you some angle adjustment as well.

THANKS A BUNCH MAN!!!

now, i start saving and asking for donations :p

DAMN DAMN DAMN :angry: :mumble: :stosh:

i checked the wrong measurements. i looked at the CS length and thought it was the ST length (i am stupid). ok, this bike was cool, now it is crap. the ST is ballbustingly high :nope: NEXT!

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
from the sinister splinter mx page;
"* Frame is available in the MXS version which features a
16.5 seat tube length, 5" headtube and special shock options.
Ideal for 4x and dual slalom"

This is what I was referring to. If they make a 16.5" seat tube large top tube version, sign me up. huzzah for reading :evil:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
toothless said:
from the sinister splinter mx page;
"* Frame is available in the MXS version which features a
16.5 seat tube length, 5" headtube and special shock options.
Ideal for 4x and dual slalom"

This is what I was referring to. If they make a 16.5" seat tube large top tube version, sign me up. huzzah for reading :evil:
BACK ON THE BUS!

ok, i thought i remembered reading that part. then i checked out the chart above it and freaked on the MX version. ok. MXS is back on the :love: list.

the PDC is also very dope :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
'05 Enduro SX. SUPER-low standover, 4.2" travel f.der compatible. Works with forks up to 6".

Or if you are buying used get an '03/04 SX very similar just heavier.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
punkassean said:
'05 Enduro SX. SUPER-low standover, 4.2" travel f.der compatible. Works with forks up to 6".

Or if you are buying used get an '03/04 SX very similar just heavier.
not buying the "SUPER-low standover" - the standover is 30.3 on the large, which is probably measured at the lowest point on the frame. this does not account for the raised section of seattube triangle that sticks up. i would bet that the ST length is close to 19". game over. not interested. NEXT! :evil:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Game on biatch! :D

That stand-over number you gave (30") is for the 6" travel regular Enduro. The SX is much lower at 28" (even lower depending on tires and fork setting) regardless of frame size. It is available in short (22.3" TT) or long (23.5" TT). I bet that is as low as any of the other bikes you are looking at. :eviltongu

specialized.com said:
05 SX

Size Short Long

Stand Over Height 712mm 714mm

Top Tube Length 566mm 596mm

Head Tube Length 102mm 108mm

Head Angle 68/69° 68/69°

Seat Angle 68/69° 68/69°

Wheel Base 1081.0 1111.0

Chain Stay Length 420mm 420mm

BB Height 311/322mm 311/322mm

* TT is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST
And it's got a LIFETIME warranty.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
well... the ufo seattube length is 15" regardless of tt length - from small to xl. because its a full seatube, i can still get close to full leg extension with a long post (its slammed fully down in the pic). why dont more companies do this? its not like seated leg extension is a priority on a 4x or dh bike...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
My medium Enduro has enough room to raise the seat sky high and fully slam it. The shock sits so low in the frame that it doesn't really matter. But I hate bikes like the Tomac Eli for instance that is/are marketed as a "trailbike" but obviously has ZERO seat height adjustability.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
punkassean said:
My medium Enduro has enough room to raise the seat sky high and fully slam it. The shock sits so low in the frame that it doesn't really matter. But I hate bikes like the Tomac Eli for instance that is/are marketed as a "trailbike" but obviously has ZERO seat height adjustability.
"fully slam it" is a relative term. a fully slammed rig w/ a 19" ST is bigger than i am looking for. i want to be able to fully slam a 16" ST sized frame.

mandown's request is real simple folks - uninterupted ST, max of 17" (happier w/ 16") AND TT of 23.5" or longer.

do the measurements & research before you post up that "i ride a frame-X and it is low" or "get a preston." i am sure your brand of frame and the preston are very nice, but they are not what i am looking for unless frame-X meets the guidelines above.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
xy9ine said:
well... the ufo seattube length is 15" regardless of tt length - from small to xl. because its a full seatube, i can still get close to full leg extension with a long post (its slammed fully down in the pic). why dont more companies do this? its not like seated leg extension is a priority on a 4x or dh bike...
let us all give a round of applause for my man here who has taken the red pill, seen through the matrix and "gets it." this is the concept behind the evil DOC - 15.5" is a long enough ST for most riders to get full extension w/ a long post and is low enough to be out of the way for most riders on aggressive trails, so the sizing only changes the TT length. i want a full squish that uses the same concept.

i have been studying the pics of the MXS and it looks like there is a ST bend :mad: this may be something i can work with. but it is not ideal.

currently also looking into the devinci freeride bikes with this geometry
http://www.devinci.com/english/oxfree-geo.html the travel is a bit more than i am looking for, but the rest of the numbers look good

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
mandown said:
"fully slam it" is a relative term. a fully slammed rig w/ a 19" ST is bigger than i am looking for. i want to be able to fully slam a 16" ST sized frame.

mandown's request is real simple folks - uninterupted ST, max of 17" (happier w/ 16") AND TT of 23.5" or longer.

do the measurements & research before you post up that "i ride a frame-X and it is low" or "get a preston." i am sure your brand of frame and the preston are very nice, but they are not what i am looking for unless frame-X meets the guidelines above.

You sir are a retard. You are incapable of comprehending facts. You are the one who needs to take measurements and do research before posting.

When I say fully slammed on a medium frame there is nothing relative about it. I mean fully slammed into the frame as far as it can go what else does fully slammed mean??? In the previous sentence I mentioned that my frame is medium (17") not a large (19") as you somehow concluded. As such my frame size and example DOES meet your criteria. An uninterupted seattube is nice but with a compact design like the new Enduro it is unnecessary because you have all of the seattube you could possibly need for climbing AND descending.

If you would actually read what I am posting you might learn something. In this case what you might learn is that "bike-X" as you call it does meet your criteria but you are too stubborn to realize it. A size "long" Enduro SX has a ~16" seattube, 23.5" TT, 28" standover and, I repeat, the ability to raise and lower the seat as much as you need in order to climb AND descend. That is EXACTLY the criteria you set.

There is no need for your BS attempts at wit either because it comes off as incredibly arrogant when all people are trying to do is HELP you. You asked for advice now let people give it even if it isn't perfect. That's the beauty of advice, you are free to take it or leave it. It's better to get too much advice than not enough. Cry me a river :nopity:

NO SOUP FOR YOU! :nope:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
punkassean said:
You sir are a retard. You are incapable of comprehending facts. You are the one who needs to take measurements and do research before posting.

When I say fully slammed on a medium frame there is nothing relative about it. I mean fully slammed into the frame as far as it can go what else does fully slammed mean??? In the previous sentence I mentioned that my frame is medium (17") not a large (19") as you somehow concluded. As such my frame size and example DOES meet your criteria. An uninterupted seattube is nice but with a compact design like the new Enduro it is unnecessary because you have all of the seattube you could possibly need for climbing AND descending.

If you would actually read what I am posting you might learn something. In this case what you might learn is that "bike-X" as you call it does meet your criteria but you are too stubborn to realize it. A size "long" Enduro SX has a ~16" seattube, 23.5" TT, 28" standover and, I repeat, the ability to raise and lower the seat as much as you need in order to climb AND descend. That is EXACTLY the criteria you set.

There is no need for your BS attempts at wit either because it comes off as incredibly arrogant when all people are trying to do is HELP you. You asked for advice now let people give it even if it isn't perfect. That's the beauty of advice, you are free to take it or leave it. It's better to get too much advice than not enough. Cry me a river :nopity:

NO SOUP FOR YOU! :nope:
i will believe your 16" measurement when you post a picture of you with a tape measure next to the frame doing the C-T ST measurement. there is nothing in your chart that you posted that states there is a 16" ST. i was also not just aiming this comment at you. it was aimed at all the other retards (which i now consider you part of, though not before your last post). nobody seems to understand the very simple rules of the game, no matter how many times i explain them (whith the exception of the guy with the nicolai ufo).

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR THE MAINSTREAM, RUN OF THE MILL CRAP THAT EVERYBODY RIDES AND KNOWS ABOUT. THERE ARE A HANDFUL OF BIKES THAT HAVE THE SLACK HT ANGLE, 16" ST AND 23.5" TT COMBINED WITH AN UNINTERUPTED ST.

as i said in my post, i am sure your bike is nice for you, but i am not interested. sounds to me like you are the one that is not happy with your frame and are a bit sensitive that i don't like it for all the same reasons you don't, and posted it all over the internet. cry me a river while you ride the bike you don't like, while you live in your house/apartment you don't like, with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend you don't like, taking care of the kids and pets you have that you wish you didn't, blaming the rest of the world for your own mess you have created :thumb:

for the rest of you, thanks for your help, it has been much appreciated. except for those of you who just puked a response without double checking your numbers. i know, sPunkassean yelled at me for not appreciating your attempt at help. however if i asked a person to help me wash my windows and they used a brick to do the job, i would probably not appreciate that either.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The irony is the bike I am suggesting to you is NOT the bike I ride. I ride a similar but also VERY different bike.

My medium has a 17" ST and the SX version (slightly diff. geometry) is lower and longer) so I know the ST is somewhere between 15-17" hence ~16" (not more than 17 and not less than 15") and nowhere near the 19" that you made up. I could care less what bike you ride. Seriously. You asked for advice I (and others) gave you some. You are unappreciative and that's weak. That is what I am complaining about, nothing more.

And that whole bit about unhappiness (and the brick/window analogy) is so off-base it laughable. I have no pets or kids, an awesome GF, a SICK (but "mainstream" :rolleyes: ) bike, I am moving from an apartment I like in two weeks into a house I like more. I ride almost every day and love my life. I just can't stand arrogant unappreciative retards....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
punkassean said:
The irony is the bike I am suggesting to you is NOT the bike I ride. I ride a similar but also VERY different bike.

My medium has a 17" ST and the SX version (slightly diff. geometry) is lower and longer) so I know the ST is somewhere between 15-17" hence ~16" (not more than 17 and not less than 15") and nowhere near the 19" that you made up. I could care less what bike you ride. Seriously. You asked for advice I (and others) gave you some. You are unappreciative and that's weak. That is what I am complaining about, nothing more.

And that whole bit about unhappiness (and the brick/window analogy) is so off-base it laughable. I have no pets or kids, an awesome GF, a SICK (but "mainstream" :rolleyes: ) bike, I am moving from an apartment I like in two weeks into a house I like more. I ride almost every day and love my life. I just can't stand arrogant unappreciative retards....
nowhere in your original post did you show the ST length. you pulled the 16" card out of your @$$ in a subsequent post. it is not listed on the specialized website either, which is where you pulled your no-ST-measurement-havin chart from. they just say S/M/L and leave you to guess. i was pretty clear on how i "made up" my number (and i did admit it was made up). i estimated what the ST lenght would be based on the standover. prove me wrong. get the bike, a tape and a camera.

i am :D for you and your wonderful life.

i :thumb: the peeps who brought useful stuff to the table (like the sinister and the nicolai and the pdc). i am just :mumble: at all the people who have responded to this thread without doing their homework. i have also posted similar "research" threads about this search on other boards/forums, and nobody seems to understand my request. people just puke out the words "preston" or "stinky" or any of a number of other bikes that don't meet the requirements that i have. i $h!t you not that i have posted threads that say "i am looking for a bike like a preston, but with a shorter seat tube" and have had people respond with "have you considered the preston?" it makes me :angry:

i am sure you are a wonderful human and you have a nice life. however, i won't believe the 16" number till i see you (or somebody) with a tape measuring the ST. specialized won't put the numbers on their website. i suppose i could ask them by email, but i have spent too much time typing here and i am tired now.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
mandown said:
nowhere in your original post did you show the ST length. you pulled the 16" card out of your @$$ in a subsequent post. it is not listed on the specialized website either, which is where you pulled your no-ST-measurement-havin chart from. they just say S/M/L and leave you to guess. i was pretty clear on how i "made up" my number (and i did admit it was made up). i estimated what the ST lenght would be based on the standover. prove me wrong. get the bike, a tape and a camera....
Specialized has always done the S/M/L sizing on their FS bikes and small has always been ~15", medium ~17" and large ~19". I didn't pull the numbers from my ass, it was an educated guess. The short 100mm travel SX frame has the same standover and toptube length as a small regular 150mm travel Enduro and the long SX has the same low stand over with the toptube length of a medium 150mm Enduro.

Knowing that my medium Enduro measures 18" from center of bb shell to very top of seat clamp surface then the next size down will measure not more than 16". Specialized doesn't list that but you can read between the lines and figure it out. So still-in-all, the bike I suggested to you does meet your criteria. It has a 16" ST, a 23.5" TT and the ability to raise and lower the seat a lot (if not as much as an uninterrupted ST damn near).

And my primary point still remains. You acted like an ungrateful bastard to people who are trying to HELP YOU because YOU asked them to. So what if some of the info doesn't exactly match what you asked for. Just disregard it, filter the good info and move on.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
mandown said:
much love to the monkeys with some nice advice. thanks guys.
hey spunkassean, can you read the quote above? can you click back through the 3 pages of posts here and see the number of times that i thanked people for their advice? i'm not at all unappreciative of the advice i have been given. i did smack down a few people who were trying to lead the thread in a direction i did not want it to go. that is because this is my thread and my question.

don't project your inner problems on me. you are just pissed off becuase your super high post count did not translate into my accepting your words of wisdom as gospel. that is ok. they have twelve step programs for people like you.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
dexter said:
my mxs splinter is the shizzy ill post up pics sometime next week sounds just like what your looking for
looking forward to pix :) can you give me an idea of the type of riding you do? what fork/components are you running?

devinci wilson is also starting to make a presence in my discussions with friends. one of the potential flaws that was pointed out with that design is the potential for rear end flex. it is also a bit overbuilt and a bit more travel than i want. it hits the top of my ST height tolerance, but the TT looks good. comments from the peanut gallery?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
mandown said:
hey spunkassean, can you read the quote above? can you click back through the 3 pages of posts here and see the number of times that i thanked people for their advice? i'm not at all unappreciative of the advice i have been given. i did smack down a few people who were trying to lead the thread in a direction i did not want it to go. that is because this is my thread and my question.

don't project your inner problems on me. you are just pissed off becuase your super high post count did not translate into my accepting your words of wisdom as gospel. that is ok. they have twelve step programs for people like you.
You only thanked the people who gave you the "perfect" advice while you talked down to people who were trying to help but oferred less than perfect advice. Your attitude sucks you and are not long for this place.

BTW, here are the 12 steps to that program you suggested.
1: turn on computer
2: log onto orbitz.com
3: purchase plane ticket to LAX
4: arrive at LAX
5: hail taxi
6: take taxi to hollywood
7: exit taxi
8: look up mandowns address
9: go to mandowns house
10: knock on door
11: wait for door to open
12: give mandown a beatdown

Congratulations! You are officially the latest asshat to get added to my ignore list :thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
punkassean said:
You only thanked the people who gave you the "perfect" advice while you talked down to people who were trying to help but oferred less than perfect advice.
well imagine that!

hey, your sense of humor called. he said the doctors are going to need to pull the plug on him, so he won't be coming home :eviltongu

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
punkassean said:
BTW, here are the 12 steps to that program you suggested.
1: turn on computer
2: log onto orbitz.com
3: purchase plane ticket to LAX
4: arrive at LAX
5: hail taxi
6: take taxi to hollywood
7: exit taxi
8: look up mandowns address
9: go to mandowns house
10: knock on door
11: wait for door to open
12: give mandown a beatdown
:stupid:
BTW - nice 11 step program. I would imagine if you were already here posting on the monkey, that the computer would already be on. i would also suggest looking up my address before you get in the taxi, so you could direct it to my place and exit it there. however if you want to just get dropped off anywhere in hollywood and hoof it from there, that is your choice to make. you cannot even follow clear instructions, let alone create your own.