Quantcast

Anyone have Stafford Loan experience?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
How long do they generally take to...put out? I just submitted my FAFSA (Long story), and tuition is due on the 18th...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
you should be able to get a short term loan through your school if the stafford won't come through in time. your fafsa should have been done at this time LAST year...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I don't know how long it will take you to get it but I know how long it will take me to pay mine off. I just consolidated all my loans.

Borrowing $26,000 and paying it back over 240 months will cost me about $20,000 for the interest. Around $46,000 total. Ouch. At least I have a job.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I think they take a little while to process, but I always did mine way ahead of time.

I still the remeber the tremendous feeling of writing a ginormous check (and killing the rest of my college savings) and telling the Stafford folks to bug off once and for all.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
They take a little while to process, but if you go and see your school's bursar or the financial aid office, they can help get things expedited and may just put a hold on your bill until it comes through rather than having to get extra loans.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ciaran said:
All I can say is PAY IT BACK! :dead:
I've had larger loans from bike shops. I'll be okay.

Why are people so deadset on estudniente loans being evil? Stafford (federally backed) loans aren't huge (2600$ a year for an undergrad), and they have a fixed interest rate of MAXIMUM 8.25%...I really could not get through school and live on my own without one.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
blue said:
I've had larger loans from bike shops. I'll be okay.

Why are people so deadset on estudniente loans being evil? Stafford (federally backed) loans aren't huge (2600$ a year for an undergrad), and they have a fixed interest rate of MAXIMUM 8.25%...I really could not get through school and live on my own without one.
I never said it was evil. What is evil is what can happen if you don't pay it back. You would be surprised at how many people default on student loans.