Quantcast

Anyone have to carry a pager for work?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I do. Mine broke and I had to get a new one, so it just kind of got me wondering.

I mainly use it during work hours when I am away from my desk. Occasionally I have to carry it on the weekends when we have system upgrades, but that's only a few times a year. Also, every other Tuesday night I have to keep it close by.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I Are Baboon said:
I do. Mine broke and I had to get a new one, so it just kind of got me wondering.

I mainly use it during work hours when I am away from my desk. Occasionally I have to carry it on the weekends when we have system upgrades, but that's only a few times a year. Also, every other Tuesday night I have to keep it close by.
Just curious... why would any organization opt for pagers over cell phones these days???

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, our company ditched pagers about 2 years, after we'd been paying a lot of $$$ for them and no one used 'em anymore because everyone had mobile phones. is it because the coverage is spotty in yr area?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Crashby said:
Just curious... why would any organization opt for pagers over cell phones these days???
Our company is way the hell behind the curve as far as technology goes. It's kind of frustrating at times, since I came from an insurance giant that had seemingly limitless I.T. resources.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
splat said:
I carry a Cell Phone for work , and we have a 1 off hours pager that we rotate ( right now I'm Carrying it )

I used to have to do that when I was a Telemarketing Vendor Manager.
Being on the West Coast, I'd get calls at 5am some times. :dead:

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
OK, I'm dumb. What are "black berries"?
PDAs that most sales guys don't have business owning.

No pagers here, but my last job, which was pretty high tech carried them. Several hundred of them as a matter of fact.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
In my last job we had a pager rotation, it sucked... generally you only got paged about once a week, but every time that sucker went off it was 3 hours logged into somebody's network, talking to the 3rd shift morons who did something stupid and caused the problem.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
Looks like a fun toy. I take it you are on the road a lot?
It's not a fun toy for folks that are supposed to support this stuff when each of the 13 sales guys buy a different kind. We have yet to get one to work with exchange, but have yet to touch any but the Ipaq either.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
loco said:
It's not a fun toy for folks that are supposed to support this stuff when each of the 13 sales guys buy a different kind. We have yet to get one to work with exchange, but have yet to touch any but the Ipaq either.
Just shut up and do your job, help desk grunt. :blah:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
How the Hell does that freak of nature thing fit in your pocket?!? :confused:

-S.S.-
Go put your glacier glasses on and get outside, you freakin' hippie.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
Go put your glacier glasses on and get outside, you freakin' hippie.
:thumb: Dude - it was friggin' *70* here yesterday.... :think:

I could get to like this global warming thing. Massive snowstorms in the mountains followed by perfect Front Range riding weather.

Now if only I could find the time to ride. :mumble:

-S.S.-

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Actually it's British English......... why? :confused:

-S.S.-
It's easier to blame Canadians than it is to blame Brits. :think: Bummer the keyboard isn't Canadian. Better find something else to blame. :thumb:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Hey dumbass: the keyboard is *BROKEN*, not some bizarro-language keyboard..... :rolleyes: :D

-S.S.-
The "w" seems to have been working in your other posts. :help:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. It seems to be intermittent. :think:

Time to call the Help Desk.

Hold on - you're a help desk beeyotch. Get me a new keyboard, beeyotch! :p

-S.S.-
I've got your help desk, bitch. :nuts: