Quantcast

Anyone Heard of Adam Curtis?

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by fluff, Feb 4, 2008.

1. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    He produced a few documentaries for the BBC; Power of Nightmares, Century of the Self & The Trap being the best known.

Here's an MP3 clip of an interview with him decrying the influence of the internet on free thinking: http://us.regmedia.co.uk/2007/11/20/adam_curtis_audio1_44100.mp3

Thought it would be quite apt here.

#1 -   Feb 4, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. $tinkle

$tinkle Expert on blowing

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    what i found most interesting is the fact they chose a busstop in front of a mental hospital to conduct the interview. or going from all the unnecessary cackling, it could be in front of a high school. more than the words of strangers' conversations, i pay attention to the rest of the communication. the background people must be your answer to california.

but if i could offer a serious take, it seems that there's so little time for anyone to make their point, so every opinion must be quickly summed up to a by-line or soundbyte, and without the benefit of the back-and-forth to perfectly & tactfully craft the message. so in order to sell it as strong as possible, it must be phrased with the strongest language; hence the 'bullying' label.

methinks mr. curtis is a closet cyclist, what with his use of "vulcanization" no less than 4 times

#2 -   Feb 4, 2008
  3. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Bus-stop!?!? That was clearly a Starbucks, one of London's finest traditional coffee-shops.

Plus points for vulcanization, although I cannot rep you at present. I wonder how many people will work out what he actually said.

I think the bullying thing is similar to something to which you have alluded in the past; the minority view in any particular forum is effectively repressed by the majority. Conservative views will be unheard in a liberal environment and vice-versa, effectively suppressing valuable debate.

#3 -   Feb 4, 2008
  4. valve bouncer

valve bouncer Master Dildoist

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 16
    #4 -   Feb 4, 2008
  5. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    i'm having a shift in raising my daughter: i think it's far more valuable to teach her how to show grace now, and use this foundation for learning critical thinking later. otherwise i'd be raising a future ex-wife.

feel me on that?

#5 -   Feb 4, 2008
  6. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    She's going to marry an evangelical bible thumper who sucks dick anyways. I wouldn't worry too much about it...

#6 -   Feb 4, 2008
  7. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    that just might drive her to shoot up a mosque.

gets me all teary-eyed thinking about her growing up.

#7 -   Feb 4, 2008
  8. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    She'll probably get addicted to painkillers and end up looking like a Stepford wife who insists that her husband isn't gay, it's just the penises have an odd habit of finding their way into his bodily orifices.

Isn't Ted Haggard still married?

#8 -   Feb 4, 2008
  9. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    saw an interview w/ john waters on a re-run of the rollins show. he's a stepford wife.

#9 -   Feb 4, 2008
  10. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    I have all the Curtis stuff DL'd. All good.