Quantcast

Anyone here ever been a "specimen processor"?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm just curious has anyone here been a specimen processor? I got offered a job as one working a lab where they spilt specimens and such and run tests on urine/blood/whatever doctors order for tests to be taken on. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done something like this and how they like it?

I only ask on here because there's a huge range of what people do for work, sometimes you never know.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Spunger said:
I'm just curious has anyone here been a specimen processor? I got offered a job as one working a lab where they spilt specimens and such and run tests on urine/blood/whatever doctors order for tests to be taken on. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done something like this and how they like it?

I only ask on here because there's a huge range of what people do for work, sometimes you never know.
Just, please, wear gloves....

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Well, I haven't necessarily been a full-time specimen sampler but that is a part of what I do. In the past I've analyzed specimens ranging from predator scat to deer brain tissue to regular 'ol [ungulate] blood.

I'm assuming you'll be working with human samples which, in my opinion, are more gross but I'm weird like that. It's fun job for a while, but if you're doing it in a research capacity chances are the sample size (num. of samples analyzed) is going to be huge and you'll get BORED.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well it is all blood as far as I know, they said that they like to train in all aspects but the most they test is stool samples. Yes, it's all human as far as I can tell.

It's not in a research capacity but just a regular ol lab. They said they can have anywhere from 100-200 people a day come in and require tests to be done + whatever local clinics send in and such. There were atleast 5-7 people working in the lab when I went, but I'd be working the "not so busy" shift. They have a 8-5 or noon to 9. You get a $1.20? I think more for working the noon to 9 but that is all they are hiring for.

Benifit wise it sounds good, they have everything covered. As far as working conditions go the supervisor that I had was excellent in being able to hit all the questions I would have (I didn't have to ask many). It's almost like though she made the job sound harder than it really is. She said she likes hiring people with little or no lab experience because then you have no old ways of doing things and since it is a huge confidental deal with patients and such it helps out. I have the computer background needed but I'd have a 2 week training course in this stuff. She said out of 4 people with no lab experience or even college experience 3 will make it (so it makes me wonder) how difficult it can be.

I am in need of a job though, but I don't want to invest my effort into something that has no ups. I dunno what you can become from a "speciman processor" in other states or business's. She said it's a really secure job, and being 24 it's not like I have a family to come home to or anything. But at the same time it doesn't sound there are many chances to work the normal day shift. My last job was 10 or midnight to 6 or 8 in the morning (3rd shift SUCKS). Before that it was a 9-5 deal.

Just curious.......thanks for the input guys!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Never heard of the term but it gives me some ideas for great mom jokes.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
dfinn said:
would you mind telling what they are paying for that position?
I wouldn't be doing poop.......that's a whole different deal.

But for blood work or cultures and such it pays $11/hr and after 2 I'd get my $1.10 or whatever it was more per hour. That is for someone with zero lab experience in this field.

Their benifits are what is good. They have medical (which would be nice for MTB riding and any other sport). They do match up to 6% for 401k. You get 6 holidays off a year + 20 days a year PTO time. Something like for every 80hrs you work you get 5.something for PTO time. Two 15 minute breaks and an hour for lunch. I mean some of the things sound good.

Again, I've never worked anywhere where you got offered anything (joys of a small business) so this is all new to me. I know I'm going to make less getting benfiits, days off, whatever but in a way it seems like it's worth it. She said that reviews are given on performance and such every year? I dunno it was hard to retain everything, the interview lasted like 2 1/2 hours.