Quantcast

Anyone here ever operate a forklift?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Yep. off an on for about 5 years @ my grandmother's warehouse. I destroyed so much stuff it wasnt funny, but eventually i could pick up a dime with my forks. :cool:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TN said:
Yep. off an on for about 5 years @ my grandmother's warehouse. I destroyed so much stuff it wasnt funny, but eventually i could pick up a dime with my forks. :cool:
I never did become an expert. I dumped several pallets of Rold Gold pretzels from about 15 feet in the air. ****ing pretzels.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
Yeah I did , when I worked at MIT, I wasn't suppose but they never stopped me before and some one had to do it .

Driving a fork lift down Mass ave in Cambridge at 2 AM and the Cops just waved to me. didn't stop to ask why ?
:rolleyes:

You probably built the thing out of spare bike parts and duct tape.

J

JRB

I have driven boom lifts, fork lifts, and plenty of tractors with forks on the loader. I learned to drive a fork lift at about 6 years old. Logged lots of time in the lumber yard and grain elevator, when we built a rail spur. I drove one Thanksgiving week, for the first time in years, while we were doing inventory.

*new question - who has tipped one over forward??? I have one with a bundle of lumber, and one with a bundle of 16 ft cross ties. Cross ties are frikkin' heavy. Neither time did I have a belt on. It hurt, and I am lucky to be alive probably.

J

JRB

70% - I knew to pick the high numbers on accidents and fines. I also don't buy that the average weight is 8,000 lbs. There are an awful lot of little warehouse lifts around.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I've driven a gas powered one quite a lot back when I worked for Osram. They seem fun at first, but when you actually have a task to do they get boring real quick. I learned to powerslide in mine though, easy as hell on the slick floor.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
loco said:
70% - I knew to pick the high numbers on accidents and fines. I also don't buy that the average weight is 8,000 lbs. There are an awful lot of little warehouse lifts around.
I dunno I've been in a lot of warehouses & the ones with the 5k# counterweights are all over the place & they prolly come in around 8k#.

J

JRB

TN said:
I dunno I've been in a lot of warehouses & the ones with the 5k# counterweights are all over the place & they prolly come in around 8k#.
Yeah - you are probably right.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I learned how to drive a forklift and a scissor lift doing commercial drywall when I was 17.

I really got my chops when I started doing event production (staging and lighting). We were the contract production house for the USS Hornet Museum, so I re-learned how to drive a forklift on an aircraft carrier running staging and 150kw generators on the flight deck and the hangar bays.
Really cool: Holding a huge stack of staging decks on the forks while being hoisted up to the flight deck by the forward elevator. A 50'x70' hydraulic elevator that goes up 35' in 1.8 seconds. :thumb:

I've also ran boom lifts up to 120'.

There is something about being in a metal basket 10 stories off the concrete that makes your balls crawl up into your chest. :help:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I Are Baboon said:
I never did become an expert. I dumped several pallets of Rold Gold pretzels from about 15 feet in the air. ****ing pretzels.

hahaha:blah: :)

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I have driven fork lifts, cherry pickers, backhoes, bull dozers, and the coup de resistance, a street sweeper, not one of those pathetic small 3 wheeled jobs, a large International with Elgin sweeper body on it. My job for two years was as a street sweeper operator at the local speedway.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
http://www.shenvalleymasonry.com/Fork Lift Front Royal.jpg

i drove this thing around for awhile on a job, never trained. First load took forever (pick out of truck to rooftop), driving them is a little easier.

The little ones are way easier to get a handle on, plus you're not dealing with too much wieght or consequence. Like anything once you know the controls and what the machine can do, if you have common sense you probably won't kill anyone or yourself.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
GravityFreakTJ said:
Forklifts are how i've made my living for the last 11 years. I'm a product support rep for Toyota Industial Equipment,and know them inside out.
so then you know how well they do donuts in the snow??