Quantcast

Anyone here have a 2nd or summer home?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am going to make an offer on some "lake" property today. The lot is 80X200 and has a 2 bedroom septic, power, telephone and cable lines. While not on the lake it is situated on an elevation that has an unobstructed view. The downside is that it has a "park model" travel trailer on it that is included in the price. The owner refuses to sell without the trailer. :mad:

However... I have been looking for such a property for almost a year and it is the only one that came close to what I thought I needed - small lot that requires little or no upkeep, existing utilities and no structures that need to be torn down. I didn't really think of a view since I like the woods but as soon as I saw the view I was sold.

I'm going to take my images today - hopefully I'll be able to figure out my new camera... :)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
so this is an elaborate way of saying you're moving into a doublewide?! :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Toshi said:
so this is an elaborate way of saying you're moving into a doublewide?! :D
No... its a very small travel trailer, smaller than a cabin and it will have to be sold. My plan is to build equity in the lot and build a weekend home that I can eventually retire to. :)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just sell the trailer at the fleamarket. Or push it into the lake. It would make for some fun extreme snorkelling...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good luck, 'Midge! Yeah, post pics.

MBC and I would buy a winter home before buying a summer home. You know, 'cause Connecticut isn't cold enough in the winter. :think: (but seriously, our long term plan is to buy a condo at a major ski resort 10-20 years down the road).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:

MBC and I would buy a winter home before buying a summer home. You know, 'cause Connecticut isn't cold enough in the winter. :think: (but seriously, our long term plan is to buy a condo at a major ski resort 10-20 years down the road).
The wife and I are hoping to make the ski condo happen in the next couple years. Luckily it'll double as a summer place what with all this available:

http://media.intrawest.com/winterpark/mountain/FraserBike-1.jpg

:thumb:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
The wife and I are hoping to make the ski condo happen in the next couple years. Luckily it'll double as a summer place what with all this available:

Sweeeeet. Yeah, a mountain that offers summer hiking and biking is an absolute must, along with decent road riding available in the area, since we will use it year round. For us though, the primary purpose would be ski season.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
We bought 80 acres by LK Chelan in January, but no home on it yet. Next fall we'll have a one room cabin put on it for tax purposes.

Good luck:)

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Good luck. We have a lake cabin and it is great to have a place to escape to on the weekends. It is only 45 minutes away but I wish it was farther. This lake, being only a short drive from the city is crowded and overpopulated. Hence the water quality gets a little more questionable year after year.

I hope the place you are looking at is far enough away that when you are spending time in the summer and it's hot and you want to go swimming, that you never have to worry about how dirty the water is.:dead:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
SkaredShtles said:

Oddly enough... I was just in Winterpark last week. In the 70s our family had a cabin on Columbine lake - about 1/2 outside of Grandby. In 1972 they paid 14,000 for a 600 sq foot log cabin. They sold it in the late 70s for something in the mid 40s. Today the very same cabin with no improvements is being offered for 450,000!!!

doh!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Snacks said:
We bought 80 acres by LK Chelan in January, but no home on it yet. Next fall we'll have a one room cabin put on it for tax purposes.

Good luck:)
80 ACRES... yer nuts, way too much land. Yer gonna need some quads or dirt bikes or something with 4 legs and hooves. :oink:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
riverside73 said:
Good luck. We have a lake cabin and it is great to have a place to escape to on the weekends. It is only 45 minutes away but I wish it was farther. This lake, being only a short drive from the city is crowded and overpopulated. Hence the water quality gets a little more questionable year after year.

I hope the place you are looking at is far enough away that when you are spending time in the summer and it's hot and you want to go swimming, that you never have to worry about how dirty the water is.:dead:
I'm looking on Star Lake which is private - no public access or power boats. Never really thought of water quality... I'll ask today. :clue:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Good for you, Midge!! I've finally decided to look at some property down in Mexico, where we've been visiting for the past 25+ years. I know what you're thinking-- why there? Well, let's just say that investments have gone up excellently. The place is Rocky Point, about 5 hours south of Phoenix. Folks bought their second house down there while it was being built for $350K, step-dad was down every weekend for 2 years finishing it, and now they want to sell it for $1.2m. And that's after about 5-ish years. Hope you do get to retire on your lot, and have fun with whatever you build on your lot.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
Nope. I just like the name.

[Scottish brogue]
No' tha' righ' there is a nice wee house!
[/Scottish brogue]
I really like the homes!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Serial Midget said:
I am going to make an offer on some "lake" property today. The lot is 80X200 and has a 2 bedroom septic, power, telephone and cable lines. While not on the lake it is situated on an elevation that has an unobstructed view. The downside is that it has a "park model" travel trailer on it that is included in the price. The owner refuses to sell without the trailer. :mad:

Hey, good luck with your offer. How hard is it to get rid of the trailer....Can you sell it?

I've got a Vacation home up north....30 acres with a 3 room cabin that me and the old man built, and use of a ski lodge at the Tongariro national park.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:

That's why you need the perfect winter/summer home:D