Quantcast

Anyone here run Marathons?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I'm training to run the Rock-N-Roll 1/2 Marathon in San Jose this October with a few friends. I used to run a lot of 10k's a couple of years ago but I've let myself go to hell and am trying to get back to where I was.

Just wondering if anyone's a marathon runner around here, or if anyone's training for one.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I was *thinking* about training for one......

I just haven't decided if I want to give up every Saturday to long runs.

:D

I did do the Army 10 miler (turned out to be 11.4 miles due to a security threat) last year. Turned in a horriffic time, due to me not wanting to train during August (too hot and sticky).

One of the things I did to motivate me to run was join the Hash House Harriers. I hate running. I hate running boring routes.
Here's your local hash... (and you will probably find people who have run PLENTY of marathons)

Phoenix Hash House Harriers
Only thing is, you kinda hafta be 21 or older ( I have no idea how old you are)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've never been into running before but this winter I ended up doing a bunch of it. I started thinking about a marathon, thought I had the fitness for it just had to get the legs into shape. I started building up miles but got to a point if I ran for more than an hour at a time my knees really started to hurt. Luckily the weather warmed up and I just decided to ride instead.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
MudGrrl said:
I was *thinking* about training for one......

I just haven't decided if I want to give up every Saturday to long runs.

:D

I did do the Army 10 miler (turned out to be 11.4 miles due to a security threat) last year. Turned in a horriffic time, due to me not wanting to train during August (too hot and sticky).

One of the things I did to motivate me to run was join the Hash House Harriers. I hate running. I hate running boring routes.
Here's your local hash... (and you will probably find people who have run PLENTY of marathons)

That's pretty funny, I dated a girl last year who was from out of state and had told me more than once to join that group. I'd forgotten all about it until now...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i was training for one last year and got the flu and could never really get back into it. decided to give it a go this year but i'm taking it slow because i don't want to burn myself out.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
We'll see how it goes, 13 miles is a serious distance to run. Even though I've got just under 6 months to reach that fitness level, I think it's going to require all 6 months to get there.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
the farthest i ever gone during training was 8 miles and by the time i quit training, 8 was a breeze. Now i can't imagining what it feels like to run (over) triple that distance but who knows. I would love to complete the St. Jude Marathon before we move. This could be my last chance.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
narlus said:
that's insane. by the time he's halfway done, his knees will be worse than Robert Gordon Orr's.
oh yeah?

THIS is insane..

Dean Karnazes

Among his many accomplishments, he has run 350 continuous miles, foregoing sleep for three nights. He’s run across Death Valley in 126 degree temperatures, and he’s run a marathon to the South Pole in negative 40 degrees. On seven different occasions, he’s run a 200-mile relay race solo, racing alongside teams of twelve.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm an aspiring marathon'er...or kinda.

As of late, I've been getting the triathlon bug. Last year some friends and I completed the sprint distance race at Wildflower. I had such a great time last year that some friends and I doing it again this May. As much crap as I gave triathletes back in school, I never realized just how fun the sport was until I got into it myself.

Back to the issue of running though, two friends and I have set a goal of the Camp Pendleton half in September, and the LA Marathon in 2007.

OT: For those of you who have bad knees, look into changing your running style (aka foot strike) into more of a midfoot or ball of foot, rather than a heel strike. I had to give up soccer years ago due to bad knees, and after having made the change, my knees feel great.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MudGrrl said:

Hehe, the drinking club with the running problem...

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
I ran Boston for Dana Farber (I would never actually make the qualifying time!) in '01 and '02. In '01 it was a disaster - broke my foot at the end of Oct, refused to drop out of training, and ramped up my mileage too quickly when I was able to start running again in January. Shin splints haunted me and then on race day, my IT band flared so badly that I was carried off the course at mile 19.

'02 was completely opposite. I ran 2-3 days during the week, usually mtb one night, and split the weekend: Sat or Sun was my long run, the other day was on the bike. I am convinced that less pounding by not just running but riding, too, saved me. The other great thing was a supported training program from Dana Farber - did all my long runs with them. Oh, and I had lost my dad to cancer so it was a very emotionally charged experience for me to be running in his memory.

Yesterday was Patriot's Day here in MA, and I was a spectator of the marathon as has been the case since '02. Tempting to try it again, but I hate to go back and have a bad experience. Oh, how slow was I? I was "proud" to have finished just under the 5 hour mark!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MudGrrl said:
yeah, it's very serious....

especially when you are doing shots at the halfway point.
I put some serious thought into going to one of the hashes down here in Orange County, but I had major second thoughts after seeing the pics from their events. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually up for a good time and like meeting "interesting" people, but the hashers down here seemed almost too interesting. Who knows though, alcohol solves all social barriers, so maybe I'll look into it again.

Shots at the halfway point? Dayum...at what point did you puke?

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
most of the time (98%), I don't drink.

I have never puked at a hash, nor have I seen anyone puke at a hash.

I was kinda hesitant at first to go hashing, and my friends declared it a sausage fest and said I was crazy.

You do meet some interesting people, but they're harmless.
Trust me.

Go.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
TurnerGrl said:
Oh, how slow was I? I was "proud" to have finished just under the 5 hour mark!
You have a run a marathon.

There are milllions of people who haven't, so I don't think that being 'slow' should worry you any. You should be proud.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
i've run a few marathons, triathlons and a bunch of smaller races that aren't important.....

the best thing i can tell you is to start training regularly about 3 months out---start small, something like 3 miles a day every other day for 2 weeks with weekend runs of about 8 miles. shoot for about 10 minute miles.

after the 2 week mark, you should start to do either a couple of things: run longer, run faster or run more frequently.
i chose to run more--i was going 6 days a week (5x 4miles, 1x10miles). for about a month and a half.

the last month before the race is the most crucial into letting you know if you can do it---you should be relatively in good shape, no injuries (serious pain, cramping etc ) when you run.
so it's time to amp up the mileage. i went for about 6-7 miles a day the last month, and on the weekends it was a timed run for about 2-3 hours and i did 2 runs that exceeded 4 hours.

at this point you should be about 1-2 weeks out of the race, and you should know if you can do it or not. so in this time, cut back the miles, but keep running (don't want to risk any injuries, sickness etc) just to keep your body in shape.

that's what i did, and it worked out fine for me!

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I have my first marathon 3 weeks from Sat. Before training for this race, I ran 1-4 times a week, never more than 3 or 4 miles. I am following Hal Higdon's novice plan. I missed the first week when I was recovering from pneumonia, but have been on track since.

It isn't a true marathon (only 25 miles) but it is all off road (the same Berryman trail where IMBA had an epic ride a few years back). I hope to finish in 5 hours. There is also a 50 miler the same day/trail.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
It's such a practical tool,being able to run distances like that.
Ever see the movie "BEHIND ENEMY LINES". The tracker must have traveled about 25 miles.....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Dirt is better to run on; pavement eats you up. Thats why trail running and 50K are becoming so poular. :)

DNA said:
I have my first marathon 3 weeks from Sat. Before training for this race, I ran 1-4 times a week, never more than 3 or 4 miles. I am following Hal Higdon's novice plan. I missed the first week when I was recovering from pneumonia, but have been on track since.

It isn't a true marathon (only 25 miles) but it is all off road (the same Berryman trail where IMBA had an epic ride a few years back). I hope to finish in 5 hours. There is also a 50 miler the same day/trail.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Serial,
When did you start running?

Did you run track?

Did you just kind of decide .. "oh, hey, I'm gonna run"?

How did you decide to do a marathon?
Were you daunted by it?

ok, enough questions......

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I started running in my early 30s, mainly because I just hooked up with a bunch of guys who did multi-sport events. I used to do the road bike leg of various relays. One thing lead to another and I began running with the group 2 days a week and eventually began to compete in 10Ks. I was talked into running a 50K around Hagg lake, south of Portland,OR. I showed up not knowing anything about trail running and those 31 miles kicked my ass good for just over 8 hours... I was the last one to finish and just about everyone involved in the race had gone home. I took that a personal challenge... I'll look upsomeofmy old threads to see if any are still around. :)

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33418

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55044

MudGrrl said:
Serial,
When did you start running?

Did you run track?

Did you just kind of decide .. "oh, hey, I'm gonna run"?

How did you decide to do a marathon?
Were you daunted by it?

ok, enough questions......

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
A week and a day until my marathon (and I found it that they did stretch the 25 mile trail into a full 26.2 with a little out-and-back on a gravel road). I did a 23 mile training run on the trail 2 weeks ago and I think that I am ready for the race. It was only supposed to be a 20 miler, but some poor map/trail reading skills added on a few miles.

If all goes well, then I might go down to Memphis in Dec. for that run. That should leave me most of the summer to goof off and ride my mountain bike.

waterlilli

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Distance running can become addictive especially trail running. SerialMidgets reports on Cle Elum were so inspiring I decided to try it a few years back, now I am training for my first 100k and then...
100 miles next summer.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
WOW!!!

Women are actually better suited for ultra distances.

You are a Rock Star!!! :)

waterlilli said:
Distance running can become addictive especially trail running. SerialMidgets reports on Cle Elum were so inspiring I decided to try it a few years back, now I am training for my first 100k and then...
100 miles next summer.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
MudGrrl said:
tell us all about it , DNA!

Is this your first?

How long did you train?
Just got back from the race and it suuuuuucked!

The temperatures were in the 90s and the humidity was just as high. I was walking sections 7 miles into the race. My goal for the race was 5 and half hours and it took me 7 hours and 2 minutes to finish. The heat and humidity wasn't just killing me, it hit everyone really hard, even the super-fit 50 milers. A lot of them skipped their second laps on the trail.

It was my first marathon, trail or otherwise. Right now, it will be my last. I have a very short memory about pain and suffering, so I may try again once I have forgotten the sucktitude of today.

As far as training, I trained for 18 weeks before the race using Hal Higdon's novice marathon plan. I really thought I was ready. I did a 20+ miler on the same trail 3 weeks ago and it felt pretty good. Today did not.

waterlilli

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
SM- You really did inspire me to do Cle Elum and that is how it all started for me! :) Are you not running ultras anymore? I do think women do have some advantages at distances. Not me of course, one would never guess I was a runner (I have lots of stored energy) I just hangout at the back of the pack and try to make cut off times.

DNA- You will forget the suckyness quickly and then plan your next adventure!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ha! You'll be planning your next one in two weeks. :)

I ran a few 50K before I ever ran a marathon, my first took just over 8 hours, the next year I went back on did it in under 6. My best marathon time was 3:40.

Congratulations on finishing - many people don't. :thumb:

DNA said:
Just got back from the race and it suuuuuucked!

The temperatures were in the 90s and the humidity was just as high. I was walking sections 7 miles into the race. My goal for the race was 5 and half hours and it took me 7 hours and 2 minutes to finish. The heat and humidity wasn't just killing me, it hit everyone really hard, even the super-fit 50 milers. A lot of them skipped their second laps on the trail.

It was my first marathon, trail or otherwise. Right now, it will be my last. I have a very short memory about pain and suffering, so I may try again once I have forgotten the sucktitude of today.

As far as training, I trained for 18 weeks before the race using Hal Higdon's novice marathon plan. I really thought I was ready. I did a 20+ miler on the same trail 3 weeks ago and it felt pretty good. Today did not.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
waterlilli said:
SM- You really did inspire me to do Cle Elum and that is how it all started for me! :) Are you not running ultras anymore?
For the time being I have had to give it up - my commute takes me about 10 hours each week - I just don't have the time to train. I used to be a bum and have a desk job with no commute. Recovery was much easier.

I'll pick it up again one day - nothing like long distance trail running. :)