Quantcast

Anyone in Big Bear today or tomorrow (9/8 or 9/9) want to ride??

Mousikos2

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
So. Cal
If anyone is going to be in the Big Bear area today (Thursday) or tomorrow (Friday) I'd love to go for a ride....

I'm staying in a cabin at the bottom of snow summit...leaving early Sat. AM.

~Mousikos2

Mousikos2

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
So. Cal
It's just the chair lifts that are closed during the week. The trails are still open...if you're willing to do the ride up! :)

I'm going tonight with the Bear Valley Bike Club at 5pm.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Can you have a single ring? I would take my hardtail up there.

frame: Azonic evolution
fork : '03 dj 2 (5")
rear wheel: mavic ex325/xt hub
front wheel: bontrager xc thing/ dt hugi (I need a burlier, wider rim)
tires: maxxis 2.35 highrollers 60compound
seat: titec berserker
brakes: hayes mag champagne 6"
cranks: truvativ stylo
guide: e13 srs
bars: bontrager crowbars (steel)
stem:bontrager
grips: odi ruffian lock-on
headset: fsa pig
rear derraleur: xt

Will they let my bike on the lift? I heard a bunch of crazy things :confused:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I don't think they will let your bike on the lift. The rules are, you need a trple chain ring up front, unless you have a single speed. In addition, your tires look like they are too big, as well.

Mousikos2

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
So. Cal
Here's the current rules (I picked them up on Tuesday 9-6-2005) as quoted from the snow summit brochure:

---------------------------------------------
Any one of these 4 factors will disqualify a bike from being transported on the lift:
1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds.
2. The tire size designation must be less than 2.5.
3. Front shocks must have less than 6 inches of travel.
4. Bikes must have three chain rings unless they are single speed.
The final decision on whether or not Snow Summit will load a particular bike on the Sky Chair is up to the sole discretion of the designated Snow Summit employee.
---------------------------------------------

BTW...I went on a ride last night with the Bear Valley MTB Team...they took me on some crazy freaky downhill single-tracks that are not on any of the maps. It was awesome!!

tomyboy

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Irvine
technically they wouldn't but they lift guys are pretty cool about it. I had a single speed Specialized P2 and my friend had a Specialized P2 with a marzocchi dirt jumper and a single ring(breaking one rule). they let him on. It helps if you have friends that come along with XC bikes. My other friend had a trek 4300.. so that may have helped.

Mousikos2

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
So. Cal
I'd say try it...take a few friends with XC bikes that fit the description & see what they say. The worst that could happen is you rent a bike from the local shop for a day & go have some fun after your drive up there!

I'm back home now, but had some great rides up there without using the lift to get up the hill...I did it the old fashioned way!