Quantcast

Anyone in Southern Md?

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
Hey man whats up? I live in St. Marys county. I ride with a good bunch of guys. go to the website www.smmb.net this is the local mtb club for the area. Or you can just go down to the pax adveture center. They are all in the club. We ride 3 to 4 times a week.

Sep 14, 2004
if you wanna come up by baltimore city, theres tons of good STREET (not to be confused with urban) and we have a couple good sets of jumps if you like that kind of thing.

Morgan

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
EastSideRider said:
I live in Calvert County, and I was just wondering how many riders live in the southern MD area. I ride BMX, but I am looking into to getting a good mountain bike as well......
hmmm calvert county my cousin lives there.....if you know where peach blossum neighborhood (its like 3 miles from calvert high) i did a roof drop there. It is the roof thats covers the family picnic area thing....anyway bout 9 feet high to flat broke my left ankle on impact. The front rim collapsed went over the bars and i dislocated my shoulder.......I have a pic of me in the air but apparently this site always says my pictures are to big.......Obviously did not land it but I know someone will....one day. Also by the swing set and picnic place there are trails in the woods there even used to be ladders there.....but people in that neighborhood are really uptight so someone chainsawed them down...last time i went..... the trails were overgrown but it would be cool if they were maintained again. Anyway if you know where that neighboorhood is I suggest checking it out.

peace

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
vogey40 said:
Where that trail at????????????
You live in the County and you don't know where the North trails are?

Starting north from the College a short way along Rt. 4 (or is it 235, I did a lot of things in college that make it hard for me to remember things, anyway the one along the waterfront) the trail entrance will be on your right (or left as you head south). It can get pretty overgrown, but should be plenty visible this time of year.

I hope someone will weight in if these trails are no longer legit (or less legit than they ever were) but I had zero problems when I rode them in August.

PS, I built some big ass secret dirt jumps when I was in school. If someone butters me up, maybe I'll tell you where they are.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
PS, I built some big ass secret dirt jumps when I was in school. If someone butters me up, maybe I'll tell you where they are.[/QUOTE]

Ill butter you up. What do I got to do to find out about those jumps?? Ive been diein to jump something.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
vogey40 said:
Ill butter you up. What do I got to do to find out about those jumps?? Ive been diein to jump something.
Park in the far gravel visitor's lot, the one everyone calls "Guam." Follow the the treeline northwestish, towards the dorms. Right before you reach the dorm they will be a trail into the woods on the right. Follow it 20 yards, and then turn right. The trail may be overgrown b/c I kept in pretty much on the DL. But then again the trail has prolly been been down by kids smoking weed.

You Navy? Or college? Or what?

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
meatboot said:
Park in the far gravel visitor's lot, the one everyone calls "Guam." Follow the the treeline northwestish, towards the dorms. Right before you reach the dorm they will be a trail into the woods on the right. Follow it 20 yards, and then turn right. The trail may be overgrown b/c I kept in pretty much on the DL. But then again the trail has prolly been been down by kids smoking weed.

You Navy? Or college? Or what?

Me, I am x navy. Work on the base now. So you are saying this stuff is down by the college. I know where that is but I dont know about the parking lot you are talking about.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
Ok, I attached a map. The parking lot I was talking about is labeled "C." But a better landmark is the access road that runs behind the the dorms marked 31 and past the parking lot marked "U." The entrance should be about 20' to your right when you reach the end of the road.

I also noticed that I was wrong with both my guesses as to the road name. The North trails are off Rt 5, just north of the area shown in the map. If you ride up the shoulder the entrance show be hard to miss. Just a warning, the dirt jumps are pretty tight rhythm.

Between a the lake and the North trails, St. Mary's actually has a lot more riding than you'd think.

Attachments

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
shifty S said:
posting extensive directions and maps to trails is how they become not-so-secret.
Thank you Captain Obvious. I've been riding trails for a long time and I know the rules. I built these trails with one hundred percent my own labor, making me the undisputed trail boss, so it's my prerogative to post directions. I now live a good five hours away and came to the realization that all my labor was going to waste, just sitting in the woods eroding away, and it was kind of selfish for me to keep it to myself. There's a decent chance that they will fall victim to all the new construction the school is doing in the near future. It would be kind of stupid if they met the blade of a bulldozer having only been sessioned by other riders once. This isn't like 495. Campus security will make there isn't some huge invasion of groms -- you've got to play it kinda cool. Plus it's (relatively) way out in the country. (That's leaving aside the issue that everybody and their brother already know about 495 and in a couple weeks you'll be able to see it from the Beltway. Same story with the North (xc) trails.)

I'm super pysched people are getting fired up about trails. And I appreciate what you're trying to do. So no hard feelings. But assuming that I'm some grom who doesn't know what's up just based on my post count is dangerous. Hell, I could be Robbie Miranda for all you know. I'm sure there's a couple of people on this board that can vouch for me.

Anyway, anyone is welcome at these trails -- it's an open invite. The only rule you must respect is the name: they're called the BSMC trails. Maybe one day you'll know what it really stands for.

Here's a photo to wet your appetite.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
meatboot said:
Thank you Captain Obvious. I've been riding trails for a long time and I know the rules. I built these trails with one hundred percent my own labor, making me the undisputed trail boss, so it's my prerogative to post directions. I now live a good five hours away and came to the realization that all my labor was going to waste, just sitting in the woods eroding away, and it was kind of selfish for me to keep it to myself. There's a decent chance that they will fall victim to all the new construction the school is doing in the near future. It would be kind of stupid if they met the blade of a bulldozer having only been sessioned by other riders once. This isn't like 495. Campus security will make there isn't some huge invasion of groms -- you've got to play it kinda cool. Plus it's (relatively) way out in the country. (That's leaving aside the issue that everybody and their brother already know about 495 and in a couple weeks you'll be able to see it from the Beltway. Same story with the North (xc) trails.)

I'm super pysched people are getting fired up about trails. And I appreciate what you're trying to do. So no hard feelings. But assuming that I'm some grom who doesn't know what's up just based on my post count is dangerous. Hell, I could be Robbie Miranda for all you know. I'm sure there's a couple of people on this board that can vouch for me.

Anyway, anyone is welcome at these trails -- it's an open invite. The only rule you must respect is the name: they're called the BSMC trails. Maybe one day you'll know what it really stands for.

Here's a photo to wet your appetite.

Hey man, I just want to say thank you for the directions. I can asure yo that the trails will be well maintained. I am in good with local mtb club here. Trying to become a member, and we will take care of them 4 you.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
meatboot said:
Ok, I attached a map. The parking lot I was talking about is labeled "C." But a better landmark is the access road that runs behind the the dorms marked 31 and past the parking lot marked "U." The entrance should be about 20' to your right when you reach the end of the road.

I also noticed that I was wrong with both my guesses as to the road name. The North trails are off Rt 5, just north of the area shown in the map. If you ride up the shoulder the entrance show be hard to miss. Just a warning, the dirt jumps are pretty tight rhythm.

Between a the lake and the North trails, St. Mary's actually has a lot more riding than you'd think.

Hey man we went and found those dirt jumps yesterday. They are in real good shape. Someone has been maintaining them. They were fun too. First time doing something like that. THANKS

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
Glad you enjoyed them -- did you make it all the way through? They're pretty big bike friendly, since that's all I was riding when I was building them.

So somebodies working on them? Were they raked out? If so, maybe the torch has been passed, and directions should come down as a matter of respect. Still, I'm not too concerned about a huge influx.

Did you establish if those moto-style ramps were indeed at the back of the North trails? They look to be my style -- super sketchy, but fun.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
meatboot said:
Glad you enjoyed them -- did you make it all the way through? They're pretty big bike friendly, since that's all I was riding when I was building them.

So somebodies working on them? Were they raked out? If so, maybe the torch has been passed, and directions should come down as a matter of respect. Still, I'm not too concerned about a huge influx.

Did you establish if those moto-style ramps were indeed at the back of the North trails? They look to be my style -- super sketchy, but fun.

Havent made it to the north trails yet. Going to go this weekend. Yeah the jumps were decently maintained. I saw shovels laying around. No I didnt make it all the way through yet but I will get those dirt jumps.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
Dhextremecb said:
north woods trails, is that what you guys are talking about, down by St. Mary's College?

It may be I am not sure. Just heard itcalled the north trail. Know that it runs some power lines but havent been there yet

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
vcg4130 said:
I live in Ellicott City, MD. I just moved here from Virginia Beach. I ride BMX and Mountain bikes. I have a full XC race set up right now but I am buying a P3 next month.

Cool man lets go for a ride sometime

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
ROBdropGOboom said:
Hey Scott, is this what were riding when I get there?

We can ride here too. But you want to take a look at the shed threds man thats where the good stuff is. This is just the local XC stuff

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
vcg4130 said:
I live in Ellicott City, MD. I just moved here from Virginia Beach. I ride BMX and Mountain bikes. I have a full XC race set up right now but I am buying a P3 next month.

Which shop are you buying that P3 from? Have you been to the pax adventure center on solomons island. I think they have a few in stock.

ROBdropGOboom

Monkey
Mar 1, 2004
near Fresno
vogey40 said:
We can ride here too. But you want to take a look at the shed threds man thats where the good stuff is. This is just the local XC stuff
I've been hitting the big drops at Dan Dan lately so I'm up for some tricky stuff. The swelling in my balls hasn't gone down yet :nuts:
I'm up for anything fast and has some drops/gaps.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
ROBdropGOboom said:
I've been hitting the big drops at Dan Dan lately so I'm up for some tricky stuff. The swelling in my balls hasn't gone down yet :nuts:
I'm up for anything fast and has some drops/gaps.

Alright we will hit up the shed then. Atleast once. I have only been there once so dont really know everything but I know where most of the stuff is.