Quantcast

Anyone interested in a pair of these?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Not sure anyone would be interested but... I found these safety glasses in a weld shop. I have the all clear anti fog ones. I use them when working around my work bench to protect my eyes from metal shavings and such. I thought to try wearing them riding once and they were so super nice to block out wind I bought a second pair. And the clear was great in the shaded areas of the woods on overcast days where sunglasses were too dark.

Not sure if anyone would be interested but if I could get them to sell me a box direct I might be able to get them for like about $12 bucks or so shipped to anyone interested in the U.S. I wouldn't mind ordering some other color lenses like smoked and mirror.

If anyone's interested in going in on a box with me, PM me and I'll look into it. They come in a wrap around shape and fit really nice. They come in these colors below.

Black Frame, Smoke Lens
Pewter Frame, Clear Lens
Pewter Frame, Clear Anti Fog
Copper Frame, Orange Lens
Chrome Frame, Silver Mirror Lens

Last edited:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
No, they usually break at the bridge of the nose.

we had a box of them without the metal ear pieces but with the plastic earpieces and most of them broke. Yes we are hard on glasses.

in addition, I am not sure I want a wire that close to my temple when riding! most of the riding glasses I have used, had a softer plastic that would flex more than any of the safety glasses. I want something to flex and not break!

jmho

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What would be the aproximate cost on the clear anti-fog?
Those might be good for night rides.

EDIT:
DUH.... $12

As I said, I'd be down for a clear anti-fog pair.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've tried safety glasses before. The problem I've found is distortion- even in the clear. Things look closer than they are and distort as they move to your peripheral vision. Bighitr, have you tried these out riding?
Nice of you to offer, just sharing the reason I quit using them.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
No, they usually break at the bridge of the nose. we had a box of them without the metal ear pieces but with the plastic earpieces and most of them broke. Yes we are hard on glasses.

in addition, I am not sure I want a wire that close to my temple when riding! most of the riding glasses I have used, had a softer plastic that would flex more than any of the safety glasses. I want something to flex and not break!
jmho
I've tried safety glasses before. The problem I've found is distortion- even in the clear. Things look closer than they are and distort as they move to your peripheral vision. Bighitr, have you tried these out riding?
Nice of you to offer, just sharing the reason I quit using them.
Well, I'm not sure what brand you bought that broke. I can understand cheap plastic ones breaking at the bridge of the nose but these seem very rigid and sturdy. I've used these for about 6 years and they've been just great for me. And I've crashed with them on. I really love them.

As to a wire by the temple, I've endo'd with them on and they didn't break. If I recall, they didn't even come off. The rubber by the ears keeps them on really well. And lets face it, you could put on glasses with safer flexier side pieces minus the metal wire and go over the bars and wind up in a wheel chair. I don't live my life worried about what could happen. You could get hit by a Semi on the way home from riding. That's life.

4130Biker, I didn't notice any magnification issues at all as you mentioned. I had the plain ones and they fogged up from me sweating riding in December and I put them on top of my helmet to rebuild a log bridge that was messed up and they must have fallen off. I had two pair and I lost the first set but the last set was 6 years old and scratched up from several seasons of riding and using them with my Dremel tool to protect my eyes so I didn't mind losing them. I went back into the same weld shop but they didn't have any of them in stock. I liked them so much I asked to order them for me and they did. But to order them from the weld shop they'd be about that same price.

My idea was to get them direct from the manufacturer bypassing the weld shop for about four bucks cheaper if I ordered a box of 12 pair. Not sure how many boxes you'd have to order or even if they would do it. I'm just seeing if anyone would be interested and if enough were I'd order them. They're actually gun range glasses made by a gun manufacturer but the weld shop sells them to welders I would think for grinding stuff in weld shops.

No :spam:, just wanted to pass on something I found to be really great for riding. I bought the Anti Fog ones and rode with them January 1st and they were great. If enough wanted them I'd order the minimum order and get a pair of smoked, mirror and brown for myself. But it doesn't look like anyone's really interested so no big deal. I'll just keep it my little secret.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yep, I stand corrected you are right! :rolleyes:

Smith and Wesson Magnum Safety glasses, (the same basic ones you are ordering, without the metal ear pieces) Yes there is distortion, not as bad as some safety glasses but they do distort around the bends.

3 pairs out of a dozen were broken in the first nine weeks of the fall semester last year. We switched to Sellstrom glasses (similar in design to the Magnum models) and have the same breakage issues, but they are 1/3 the cost. We also tried some that have a frame around the top that stood up pretty well, and vented well.

I am gonna go wait for the semi-truck now.:rolleyes:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Sellstrom, I'll have to google them. I just liked these because I can wear them with the rubber nose rest, or take it off and get them REALLY close to my eyes when I'm grinding metal with my Dremel tool. Never noticed any distortion. I'll have to go back and look through them again.